• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Does any on know if the current sheriff Bob Johnson is related to Bo Johnson, politician convicted of tax evasion or Leroy Johnson, politician charged with solicitation to murder.

I’ve never heard of any relationship between Bob and Bo but Leroy was Bo’s Dad.
    Johnson is a pretty common name.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL , yep if a man has to take blame for what his relatives have done , then 99.5 Percent of us are in trouble.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL , yep if a man has to take blame for what his relatives have done , then 99.5 Percent of us are in trouble.
    . Does not seem that there is any relationship and more of a curious question.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny all this should pop up when I was recently asking my Sister to run for Sheriff...
    Rattlesnake would clean house in Santa Rosa...might not be many left after she was done ;)
    Which might be a very good thing.

Frankly, Santa Rosa AND Escambia are both in need of a major cleaning.
    From the Top on down.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IB - - -> I understand the DAV process (I think) and being a active patrol deputy sheriff.
    I have respect for both. But what I do not understand is being disabled (either/or mental and physical) (100%) enough to qualify for a DAV plate and being well enough ( both mentally and physically) to be sworn in,and act as a patrol deputy. --- SAWMAN

Yeah, I understand that it just doesn't sound/look "right.". VA disability criteria is kinda strange. Not sure about LE, but in the military, you can have a certain level of VA disability rating, and still be qualified to serve. I honestly don't know what level of disability it takes to get you the plate, but as I said, I know guys still on active duty who have them, so it's not anything duty-limiting in their cases. IIRC, having ringing in your ears will get you a 10% disabled rating with the VA. Maybe that's enough for the plate? I'll also opine that some fly that plate as a badge of honor when maybe their condition doesn't warrant all that, but the state says they can have it.....

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have always known it to be 100% disabled to get the plate . . . AND . . . other things like reduction in taxes and etc.
    As you go up in the percent awarded disabled your pay goes up also.
    I have been around the VA for many years but have never heard of being disabled and still on active duty OR active reserves. ESPECIALLY 100%. --- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always known it to be 100% disabled to get the plate . . . AND . . . other things like reduction in taxes and etc.
    I have been around the VA for many years but have never heard of being disabled and still on active duty OR active reserves. ESPECIALLY 100%. --- SAWMAN

The VA has two different 100% ratings; 100% and employable, 100% permanent and total (P&T) unemployable. Most people are rated employable and there is no restriction on employment.
    I know a number of people in the reserves who are VA rated; the only way it would happen on active duty to my knowledge is if someone were out and came back on AD after they had a rating and got the required waivers because you aren't eligible to apply to the VA while on active duty. Or at least you weren't when I retired in 2011. You could start your application packet 6 months prior to retirement, but it couldn't be submitted until your retirement day.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I understand it to be 80% to get the plate, and it’s not just vanity it also works as a handicap parking permit. I’ve heard it also gets you free registration in FL but idk. The break on property taxes is not 100%, I think it’s 30%. Should be listed on the DMV and tax collectors websites though for anyone who’s curious.

But even if it’s 100%, that just means one could have claimed 10 things that all resulted in a 10% rating. Both ankles, knees, wrists and elbows plus using issued ear pro and that could be 100%. Maybe he blew out a knee requiring a surgery, and had a reaction to one of the numerous shot series and has a chronic medical issue.

If he can pass whatever physical tests the county has in place, and get through the academy, then why wouldn’t one be able to be active deputy with a high rating?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But even if it’s 100%, that just means one could have claimed 10 things that all resulted in a 10% rating. Both ankles, knees, wrists and elbows plus using issued ear pro and that could be 100%. Maybe he blew out a knee requiring a surgery, and had a reaction to one of the numerous shot series and has a chronic medical issue.

Their math doesn't work that way either; I'm rated at 10% on 20+ items and made it to 80%; mainly arthritis, neck, back and joint issues. They have a weird aggregate they use that also incorporates how the item affects daily life functions.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://militarybenefits.info/florida-veterans-benefits/

Veteran License Plates and Parking Benefits

Qualifying disabled veterans are eligible for one free “DV” designated license plates for disabled veterans. The applicant must furnish proof of “a service-connected 100-percent disability rating or that the vehicle was acquired through VA financial assistance” according to the Florida VA. Additionally, the State of Florida also provides a free license plates with a wheelchair emblem are “for those veterans permanently confined to a wheelchair and who otherwise qualify for a DV plate”.

Any driver with a “DV” plate who has mobility issues can park in any designated handicapped parking zone, and state law prohibits publicly-run airports from charging parking fees to those with applicable DV license plates.

Florida Toll Road Fee Waivers For Disabled Veteran Drivers In Specially Equipped Vehicles

State law requires toll-road fee waivers for any driver of a specially equipped motor vehicle for the handicapped if the driver’s disabilities prevent or complicate the paying of tolls with coins in the toll baskets

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    “a service-connected 100-percent disability rating or that the vehicle was acquired through VA financial assistance”

Last half of that sentence probably answers sawmans question.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Although this is VA rating discussion is off-topic for the knucklehead deputy in the OP, I will offer some lessons-learned from family members and friends (in the interest of squashing some bad misconceptions):

A 100% disability rating from the VA does NOT equate to a quadriplegic condition. As previously pointed out, the math is a series of compounding entries into a table based on individual ratings for however many conditions were evaluated by the VA. It all depends on what was on the claim and what the VA tests determined for each condition. Yeah, you go through multiple doc appointments and lab tests, and they go through your medical records, too. It is not a quick process. And no, you don't get an automatic 10% for tinnitus or using NVGs. You are evaluated for everything claimed, and the tests are not the usual ones you may have ever even seen before.

I recommend to not judge someone based on their license plate, but if you must, err on the side of "benefit of the doubt".

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never dip your pen in company ink. That was the advice I got as a young man.

Before I went into the military I worked for my local small town PD. The best life advice I ever got was from the Chief who was a retired Army Sgt. Maj. He told me "That badge will get you all the p***y you will ever want. All that p***y will get you in the unemployment line." About 6 months later I enlisted. LOL.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is really amazing how the military's attitude towards "fraternization" has changed over the years.
    I remember back in the day,when a carrier pulled out of Subic Bay we would make it a point to be at the Chiefs Club at Cubi Point . . that night. It was a target rich environment for some of us young Chiefs.
    All the wives would assemble in tables of 6 or so,ready to do some serious partying. The slot machines were paying off and booze was flowing. It was nothing to get some poon out in the garden area,then back in for some more drinking,dancing,and debauchery.
    Ice cold San Miguel painted lable was $.20 and the Jack Black was $.35 a shot.
    A five day I&I and we were ready to get back to work. --- SAWMAN

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Humm, started with sexual harassment and ended with DV plates!
    Scott used to be their public affairs officer.
    I’ve met him a few times and his ex-wife is a really nice lady. They have a couple of children.
    I’ve heard lots of rumors over the years and have a little insight into some of the past stuff.
    The problem here is usually people get demoted or fired for getting involved with people under their supervision. And the fact that both consented speaks poorly of the judgement of both. What followed was really not near as bad as what started it. Have to wonder why after the big event that these other things would bother her that much?
    When I worked there a few years back, before the new sheriff, the big issue was all of the majors were lesbians and were only promoting those who also were.
    These are the times we are in. Some would say even with the improvements in the economy and other positive things, morally as a country we are in serious decline

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Deputy Jeramy Cassady huh ?? Sounds familiar.
    I have heard that name somewhere before. (??) Possibly from a hunting club or other deputies.
    Anyway . . . That article (link) seems super FUBAR. --- SAWMAN
    Would highly suggest that everyone here read the above link in post #36.
    This could be you in this situation. Being shot at thru a wall or door. Really SAD !!

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was Escambia county, not Santa Rosa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just rechecked and Sam Parker was working for Escambia Florida at the time. Previously he had been correction officer in SRC and was a deputy in Escambia for 8 years.
    Bio
    Sheriff's Department Service

Parker began serving this community over a decade ago by working in the criminal justice field. First as a correctional officer at the Santa Rosa Correctional Institution in East Milton, and then as a deputy sheriff at the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office. Parker worked for the Escambia County Sheriff's Office for over eight years during which time, he earned numerous awards including: Letters of Commendation, a Unit Citation, a Medal of Achievement, and the Medal of Valor. Parker also received a Purple Heart after being wounded by gunfire during a domestic dispute. Parker was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. During his service, he also received two Certificates of Special Congressional Recognition from Congressman Jeff Miller in recognition of his outstanding and invaluable service to the community.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Deputy Jeramy Cassady huh ?? Sounds familiar.
    I have heard that name somewhere before. (??) Possibly from a hunting club or other deputies.
    Anyway . . . That article (link) seems super FUBAR. --- SAWMAN
    Would highly suggest that everyone here read the above link in post #36.
    This could be you in this situation. Being shot at thru a wall or door. Really SAD !!

I think that he might be a member here. I believe he's on the PFF under the name Mullet Hunter.
    If I remember correctly, he was having some serious medical issues as a result of being shot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom