• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sheriff- I'm not putting silencers on patrol rifles.

Guy Guy at the SO- No Sheriff, we are asking for suppressors, they are different than silencers.

Sheriff- How so?

Gun Guy at the SO- you see, silencers are very quiet, you really don't hear anything. However, suppressors are similar but the noise is reduced just enough making it safer on the ears.

Sheriff- Oh, ok, then yes, I'll approve suppressors.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sheriff- I'm not putting silencers on patrol rifles.

Guy Guy at the SO- No Sheriff, we are asking for suppressors, they are different than silencers.

Sheriff- How so?

Gun Guy at the SO- you see, silencers are very quiet, you really don't hear anything. However, suppressors are similar but the noise is reduced just enough making it safer on the ears.

Sheriff- Oh, ok, then yes, I'll approve suppressors.

Some folks might think you’re kidding, but there’s more truth there than there is fiction.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just hope if the time comes these weapons are used along side us and not against us...
    Ya know, I took some time to think this post over before responding because something just didn't sit right with me, and and your post may be getting close to what that is(?).

Nothing in the government/budget world happens quickly, the SRCSO works for the government, and is on a budget. It is suspicious to me that someone found some extra money and ordered this amount of rifles in a matter days, or even weeks. Even if the money was immediately available as a windfall, I doubt any decision to buy rifles was made on a whim. Somewhere along every budget line there is a prioritized list of "needs" that have to be budgeted for, funds requested, and allocated; you never get all you want. This list includes everything from pay to patrol cars. Either rifles were at the top of that list, or deliberate actions were taken to re-rack them as a top priority.

So why now? I've lived in this area over twenty years and cannot recall any incident involving the SRCSO where rifles would have been the deciding factor, so would be curious to know the real "why" behind the purchase. If they are replacing/upgrading existing rifles, fine. If for some other reason(s), lets' hear it. If they never had rifles, and now HAVE to have them, I just don't buy recent shootings as the full/only justification. Why not in response to past mass shootings? Might as well say they're for the children. Something still doesn't sit right.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Ya know, I took some time to think this post over before responding because something just didn't sit right with me, and and your post may be getting close to what that is(?).

Nothing in the government/budget world happens quickly, the SRCSO works for the government, and is on a budget. It is suspicious to me that someone found some extra money and ordered this amount of rifles in a matter days, or even weeks. Even if the money was immediately available as a windfall, I doubt any decision to buy rifles was made on a whim. Somewhere along every budget line there is a prioritized list of "needs" that have to be budgeted for, funds requested, and allocated; you never get all you want. This list includes everything from pay to patrol cars. Either rifles were at the top of that list, or deliberate actions were taken to re-rack them as a top priority.

So why now? I've lived in this area over twenty years and cannot recall any incident involving the SRCSO where rifles would have been the deciding factor, so would be curious to know the real "why" behind the purchase. If they are replacing/upgrading existing rifles, fine. If for some other reason(s), lets' hear it. If they never had rifles, and now HAVE to have them, I just don't buy recent shootings as the full/only justification. Why not in response to past mass shootings? Might as well say they're for the children. Something still doesn't sit right.
    Oh, you mean like how the Marine Corps just sold all their tanks so that they can focus on training for amphibious warfare with China, but oh it's just a conspiracy theory we're not really going to war with China.... Nevermind that it was printed all over the front page of the Marine Corps base newspaper and all over Chinese state television boasting about how they're about to whip our ass now that they have a Navy base for the worlds largest navy, their navy, only 180 miles off the Florida coast. We're gearing up for war, folks. Yes, that includes the new rifles at the county level, along with handing out grants for surplus armored vehicles and surplus night vision to every LEO across the country that wants one. Everything else is a distraction
    Screenshot_20210312-225014_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-052118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-042829_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-042748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-042821_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

They approved 1.5 million for this. Money came from the feds, the CARE act. Ya know covid cash. Same thing we all did... they just bought cooler toyz.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oh, you mean like how the Marine Corps just sold all their tanks so that they can focus on training for amphibious warfare with China, but oh it's just a conspiracy theory we're not really going to war with China.... Nevermind that it was printed all over the front page of the Marine Corps base newspaper and all over Chinese state television boasting about how they're about to whip our ass now that they have a Navy base for the worlds largest navy, their navy, only 180 miles off the Florida coast. We're gearing up for war, folks. Yes, that includes the new rifles at the county level, along with handing out grants for surplus armored vehicles and surplus night vision to every LEO across the country that wants one. Everything else is a distraction View attachment 114255 View attachment 114254 View attachment 114253 View attachment 114251 View attachment 114250
    Good, I say. Bring it!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here’s an interesting thread.

Your quote states this:
    According to the data of this link:

the 9x19mm (159.8 dB) and
    the .357 Mag (164.3 dB) and
    the .45 ACP (157.0 dB) etc

are actually louder than a .223 rifle (155.5dB). The ultimate source is a Dr. Krammer, Ph.D., Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana has documented the following pressure levels. https://earinc.com/gunfire-noise-level-reference-chart/
    The 5.56/.223 burns a lot more powder at a higher pressure. Very difficult to believe thatthis is accurate. So I checked elsewhere and yes other recorded data does give the 9mm a higher DB of 163 to 158.9 for the 5.56. I will have too look into it further. It really makes no sense.

1617027773641.png

1617027814931.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Just how much do you know about what happens.
    I was told by a neighbor whose son is a SRCSO deputy where rifles were apparently used against a crazy person likely off his meds shooting in the direction of a subdivision with a shotgun.
    The problem out of the 4 or 5 deputies, one of them did not have the stomach to fire. The story is that deputy ended up resigning. I am getting this second hand and I assume my neighbor got it right.

I did not see it in the news, but I could of missed itand besides now days the shooting of 'white trash' living in a trailer by the police does not always gather headlines. I know if I was a deputy, I would want a rifle in my patrol car.

How much of a priority the purchase was compared to other needs is unknown to me, but I do see a need to arm our LEOs with the best. Pace where I live is quite close to pensacola. We have had raiding parties coming frompensacola into places near me.
    Time are quite unsettled these days. It could be that the deputies, might very well need those rifles. If chauvin is acquitted for example, massive rioting could breakout. Deputies armed with AR15s along hwy 90 to protect businesses and homes might be a most welcomed sight.
    Santa Rosa County still has a militia on the books that is more paper work than anything else, there could a need for such in the future.
    1617029730797.png

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think LE should have ARs, they know their responsible for every shot so happy switch at their discretion is no problem for me either. I want that reservoir of excess Mil Property reopen to them also. About zero possibility it will be ever be in my front yard.

On the possible Officer that didn't engage: better that he figured out his "position" before it was really critical and cost dearly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom