Remington Model 710...........Anything Worse?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never owned one, but have looked at several and have always been curious of why Remington would produce such a rifle and actually put the name Remington on it. I have an assumption that the model 710 was produced in order to satisfy the chains...."Wal-Mart" for a low price hunting rifle.

Have you ever found anything Worse than the Model 710?

Longbow14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the 71o was the stop gap measure to get people into hunting rifles. for the money you are better served getting just about anything else (even more used). I've not shot one but I have played around with the 770 and it's awful when put against a 700. I've shot the mossberg ATR which was not bad for a three bill gun. I have heard some quality control problems with it but what company doesn't have those now and again.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a 710 from a friend because he needed money at the time. Didn't think much of it. Sold it back for same price 2 years later when he got through his divorce. Shot a 770 a friend of mine bought and both are about the same. Don't waste your money unless that is all you can afford. Either is better than nothing, but not much better.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My wife was looking for a starter rifle last year and we looked at the 710 and 770 because I have been shooting 700's and model 7's for years and love them. I was not impressed with either one. She ended up with a Mossberg 100 ATR and was not disappointed one bit. I am still confused why Remington would even put their name on a 710 or 770. Maybe there are people out there that like them, but I am not one of them.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The mossberg 4x4 is a very nice intro rifle. I had one in 30.06 and it was a tack driver, threw a Swift scope on it and for under $400 I had a nice setup that took many PA deer.

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you ever found anything Worse than the Model 710?

Yep. My granddad had a "custom" Winchester model 70 in .25-06, that blew powder back out of the bolt and burned my cheeks. ALWAYS wear glasses. Could've been my eyes.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i dont "like" the 710 but ive killed a lot of deer with it. the bolts sticks and the whole gun feels wierd and bulky but ive had it for about 6 years and beat the shit out of it. its held up good and never had to adjust the scope. i got it because i was broke as hell and needed a gun. paid 275 for it brand new with the cheap bushnell scope on it. like i said i dont like it but i have gotten my moneys worth out of it. it shoots good enough to hunt around here. i damn sure wouldnt put any money into one though.

Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i dont "like" the 710 but ive killed a lot of deer with it. the bolts sticks and the whole gun feels wierd and bulky but ive had it for about 6 years and beat the shit out of it. its held up good and never had to adjust the scope. i got it because i was broke as hell and needed a gun. paid 275 for it brand new with the cheap bushnell scope on it. like i said i dont like it but i have gotten my moneys worth out of it. it shoots good enough to hunt around here. i damn sure wouldnt put any money into one though.

Cool Post.

Several Years ago Weatherby had a sale on Vangards in two different color stocks that sold in many stores for $300.00. WalMart bought in on them and had more than they could sell in the time frame their FFL books filled on other guns they sold so they reduced them I seen several at $250.00. It would be my opinion that there would be many options to add just a little more to $275.00 and get a lot more rifle and the Weatherby Vangard would have been one of those options.

Even Remington admited the 710 was a POS and discontinued it.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    if i wouldve saw that deal with the weatherbys i wouldve jumped all on it. i didnt see it when i got the 710. weatherbys are pretty nice and for 250 i wouldnt care what color stock it had.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    770 is the same gun with a different stock and mag release Same everything else

stocky bolt, crappy stock with molded in plastic swivels *break arent replaceble

best to avoid, the savage axis is far better for the price

budget hunter basically

weatherby at 250 is an insane deal, they are pushing 500 now

Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yea man thats a good deal for sure.

WalMart had a black synthetic Stock and another stock that was also synthetic called Desert Tan. Both were Weatherby Vangards and I seemed to see them in any WalMart I went into for a few years, but that was a few years ago.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO,...the company "bean counters" dictate to the companies how to make money. NET PROFIT !! The marketing guys turn in their reports and they are either used or not used by the other exec's of the companies. I am fairly sure that sportsman's input is not generally accepted.

Marlin,Remington,Winchester,Weatherby,Savage,and some others are producing the "big box store" line of guns. They throw a cheap assed scope on them and set them in the racks for people to walk by and say,....."ohhhh look at that a Weatherby for $XX. AND,with a scope already on it." That sells guns to either the uninformed or the people on a budget.

Now....on the other side of the coin,I have seen some of these guns shoot like a gun that cost $200-$300 more. To me, these guns are designed for a person that loves to "tinker". Take that scope off and put it on a Ruger 10/22. That, along with them.... uhhh...rings and base. I have seen them come from the factory so loose that you could actually move the scope with your hand. Lapp that bbl with some polishing compound. 400 strokes up and back at least....600 will be mo-bedda. Polish them bolt rails. Float the bbl(if needed). Adjust the trigger or install an aftermarket one. OR...just go out and buy a higher end gun from the start.

I do believe that these cheaper guns have a place in the hunting woods or at the shooting range for some of us. Especially the youth models chambered in 223,243,or 7mm-08. I would also say that with these $300 gun/scope combo's you probably get what you pay for. --- SAWMAN

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not knocking the lower price guns and I kind of agree with Sawman and I love tinkering and kitchen table gunsmithing but for myself I had just rather search for a used 700. If you are patient you can find near mint rifles for a reasonable price. Most any rifle, no matter the quality or price, can benefit from a little tinkering unless it's a custom gun done right.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive got a REM 700 in .243 and I love it. My brother went and bought a 770 in .270 becuase he thought it was a good deal and it just sits in the gun cabinet.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My dad bought one of the 710's years back with the grey stock in 270. The bolt is terrible and it kicks like a mule for some reason, but I would put it up against anything in the same price range as far as accuracy goes. You stick Remington Core Lokt's in it and the groups just shrink like crazy.

I wouldn't buy one, but dad was fine hunting with it for a year or so until he decided what kind of good quality rifle he wanted.

Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One day stop by a Pawn Shop and ask what they will give for used Model 710...... I have heard as low as $50.00 and my guess of the average would be between $50.00 and $100.00.
    That should tell you what type of Rifle the 710 and the 770 is.....

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If I could find one for $50-$100, I would just about get it to have something to play with. For that price, I would have some money to make it right and like I would like it. Looks like I may have to check a pawn shop or two.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think of them as guest guns or truck beater guns maybe a hog chase gun. It will kill most anything u point it at under 150 yards i mean evan a 5 inch group will hit a deer and kill most likely. Wish i could find one at a realistic used price like under $200 for friends that i take hunting. U tell them the name brand and they r happy thinking shooting a gem LOL...

Top Bottom