• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just a heads up, I am going to be a little vague in my description so bear with me. In the mid to late 90’s I was a teenager and on multiple occasions was around a man who volunteered with an organization. I was not part of this organization but knew people who were. This man was at least mid 40’s and had a very noticeable speech impediment. Maybe it was considered stuttering but he would really drag out some words. As far as I knew he was very well spoken on precision shooting. Had several “sniper” type rifles. He always hinted around about being overseas like he was on some kind of government mission. I don’t know if his speech impediment was from birth or possibly from an injury or otherwise.

I did not serve in the military but I am curious if this guy could have gotten in with a speech impediment and if so in what type of roles he could serve. I am not trying to knock the guy but I figured guys doing what he hinted at would not talk about it so freely.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My platoon commander turned company guns, who was from the drill field, had a really REALLY bad stutter. Word was it either started or got really bad after a humvee got blown out from under him in Iraq(for whatever reason, I want to say someone once said he is always had it to a lesser degree). He would always use it for self depreciating humor, typically in the middle of chewing the entire platoon out. (At 6’4”, with a red tab on his belt and the drill instructor air, at least this junior enlisted appreciated his attempts to be down to earth).

What’s i always found interesting is immediately after our 6 mile Monday death runs, when he got extremely irate, or when we were in a range the stutter disappeared. like such events calmed him down.

So anyways yeah, at least in the 2000’s it is possible someone who develops a speech impediment(or perhaps had a very mild one from initial enlistment) to serve. I guess mid 40’s in the mid 90’s puts the guy at 18 at the height of the Vietnam draft, whatever that’s worth.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've seen a couple students in flight training over the last two years that had a noticeable but not severe stutter. Practice and technique seemed to help. In my limited interactions with them, they still got the job done.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I feel very well qualified to chime in. I have a speech impediment/studder. It is mostly, but not entirely gone now. Most who have met me would not know. If I get really excited I will stutter. I feel like it has really held me back in life. It's crazy how it works sometimes. For those who were around in those days, in 1964/65 I rode the bus from Pensacola to Montgomery to be evaluated for the draft. In a voice clear as a bell and with no stutter what-so-ever I asked the doctor "what about my stuttering." He gave me a 4D. A few months later I had the opportunity to join the Air Force Reserves. I jumped at the chance. Six years later when I got out I was an E-5 Staff Sergeant. Based on MY experience I would say that stuttering, unless it is REALLY bad would have no negative effect on a persons military service. I would let my superior officers know that I had a stuttering problem at times, and it was never a problem with them if I was a little slow in answering a question. I'm proud to have served my country for six years in the United States Air Force Reserves.

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See above

Speech impediment could have been result of brain injury or after acquired medical condition.

Most guys you’ll meet that that have been there and done that don’t “hint” around. They keep their mouth shut. Then again YouTube is full of guys trying to make a living telling stories of their time in the service. If they chose to do so I know some don’t like it but they’ve earned the right in my opinion to decide if that’s the route they chose.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    I have a slight speech impediment. And 41 years of service in the Army (28 active duty). Might have presented a bit of a challenge at times, but I hope I was judged on my actions.
    I am NOT the real deal, but I have had the honor to serve with some. IMHO they are generally humble quiet professionals.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mel Tillis told jokes during his shows about his stuttering. One of his jokes was he served his country, as a baker he served it c c cakes, c c cookies and p p pies.

Mel certainly overcame his speech impediment and used to his advantage as an entertainer.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i had a platoon sgt in the 80s with a stutter. great guy. i would say he came in back in the 70s when standards may have been relaxed. when the person in this scenario joined may figure in.

PaulT58

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a supervisor in the early 80's that had a very bad stutter, especially when he was nervous of frustrated. This was in the Air Force and there were no conflicts at the time, so I'm pretty sure he had the speech impedement prior to joining. I was in the electronics field, it may have been a deal breaker in some career fields, but it wasn't in the electronics career fields.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for the responses guys. You learn something new everyday. Pilot was one of the top jobs I would have figured that a stutter would disqualify you.

I may not have been clear in my original post but this guy hinting like he was currently doing this government work. He would say things like “I just got back in country on Thursday”

Top Bottom