Once a gun has been purchased from a dealer, is it used?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The way I look at it, when the gun leaves the dealer it is used. Period. And I will offer accordingly if interested.

There is no way of telling if someone put a mag or two through it if they broke down and cleaned it real good. I have a few glocks with at least 100 rds through them that looked like they had been fired 1 time from the factory. Call me paranoid, but I dont believe shit that comes out of peoples mouth these days.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me if it has never been fired it is new no matter where I buy it from. I would not feel bad paying what they are selling for in a retail store for one reason. SALES TAX. Not having to pay for a background check that takes 30 seconds. Taxes alone are from 7 to 10.95%.

Added, If you get down to the nitty gritty a gun is SOLD two or three times before the retail customer gets it,From the manufacroer(SPELLING) to the wholesaler to maybe another wholesaler. to the dealer. I know a damn nit picken Yank but this whole thread has been kind of nit picken .

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing some sellers seem to forget is that buying a used gun comes with more risk then buying new. With that risk there comes a loss in value no matter what the condition is.

Risks
    Gun does not function 100% & seller is just trying to get rid of it.

If the gun has problems most companies will not warrantee it, if you are not the original owner.

Gun is stolen but has not been reported stolen yet. The true owner may not even know it is missing.

Gun could have been used in crime. Later you get in SD shooting & the lands & grove marks on your bullet match some from a murder case 3 years ago. So you better have paper to prove when you bought it. Not likely but possible.

For me there is only one positive to buying a used gun & that is the discounted price & not paying sales tax.

Some think its a plus to not have a background check or paper trail for a gun but that has no value to me. I am not a criminal & I am not worried about the gov coming after my glock. In fact I would not buy a used gun without paper work. Someone can sell you a gun this week & then report it stolen next week. If you have no papers to prove you bought it then you are in possession of a stolen gun.

Last edited:

RFord

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From a dealer new , from an individual used. You gamble to some degree when you buy a gun from an individual , from a trusted dealer no gamble . Unless it is an actual good deal , I'll just buy from David @ TGD.

Z28931

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me it's new if I buy it from a dealer, and I have the receipt with the last 4 digits of my credit card on the receipt, not to mention the gun is automatically registered in my name and the warranty is in my name.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In Florida there's no "registration" of a firearm. Your name and the SN are on the 4473 but that doesn't mean anything once you walk out of the shop. Assuming you follow the law for private sales, there's nothing stopping you from selling that firearm in the parking lot.

Your name isn't associated with the warranty until you actually send the registration form in.whether or not the original buyer does that is up to them.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Laws in Alabama are similar to Florida's, unless you've enacted some West coast/north east legislation recently.

An individual can take credit card payments for a firearm too. You're point wasn't missed I just think it wasn't conclusive. If that's why you buy from a shop, cool.

Z28931

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, most of my guns belonged to someone else instead of me ( inherited/ I can never pass up a good deal on a gun). I'm a gun hoarder.

Top Bottom