• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    hard to determine. the OG cartridge is what would be best imo, but ammo is expensive. 5.56 is abundant, but the mag capacity is wrong. I think .300 BO might be the middle grounds option, not sure though. Not sure how I feel about 7.62x39, although in general I dislike it as a cartridge

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    hard to determine. the OG cartridge is what would be best imo, but ammo is expensive. 5.56 is abundant, but the mag capacity is wrong. I think .300 BO might be the middle grounds option, not sure though. Not sure how I feel about 7.62x39, although in general I dislike it as a cartridge
    I wonder if 350 legend would be a good fit? That can shoot far and suppressed out of 9mm cans. If not I'd be fine with 300 too and or 556 as they're cheaper and easier to find than many others. Especially with the bans on Russia ammo nonsense.

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wonder if 350 legend would be a good fit? That can shoot far and suppressed out of 9mm cans. If not I'd be fine with 300 too and or 556 as they're cheaper and easier to find than many others. Especially with the bans on Russia ammo nonsense.
    are there no domestic manufacturers of 7.62x39? as an aside, once Ukraine blows over, i suspect we will see an immediate commercial offloading of deadstock into the US.

Not Familiar with 350 legend. On the fence about this gun, if i recall correctly, it has some quirks that differentiate it from the original, such as the magazine. I believe it will fit into an AR magwell

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Downer... werid expensive mags. X39 rules btw.
    It takes standard pattern AR mags, they just have a few that look like the OG that go with the gun.

I was thinking of getting it in 300BO. Hopefully its not pushing that 2K price tag or it will be really hard to justify vs just getting more ammo and shooting what I have. :)

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It takes standard pattern AR mags, they just have a few that look like the OG that go with the gun.

I was thinking of getting it in 300BO. Hopefully its not pushing that 2K price tag or it will be really hard to justify vs just getting more ammo and shooting what I have. :)
    Price was originally something like 1700 or maybe a little less when provided directly from manufacturer, PSA has decided (like all esteemed profits driven companies) to rape you and your wallet without remorse because, well, they can.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    was never into it personally. Underperforming in the qualities that I typically seek, and has been turned into a holy figure by the cult of younger and generally brain-rotted Combloc fans. round does nothing for me, crowd pushes me away
    Ok.... Fudds at the camp called it a "BB" gun too. The largest deer taken at the camp this year. Haven't heard any more crap talk. Jumped 20 feet and fell stone dead. X39
    20230202_174128_001.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Isn’t Palmetto building a steel production x39 ammo factory in the good old USA??
    Yes, but we'll never see the old bulk cheap stuff again. Biden? Obama? took care of that by banning Russian ammo imports. Wish they would ban ANY imports from chi-na but the elected Chinese prostitutes would never do it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    are there no domestic manufacturers of 7.62x39? as an aside, once Ukraine blows over, i suspect we will see an immediate commercial offloading of deadstock into the US.

Not Familiar with 350 legend. On the fence about this gun, if i recall correctly, it has some quirks that differentiate it from the original, such as the magazine. I believe it will fit into an AR magwell
    There are domestic manufacturers of 7.62x39 but it is expensive and on par with 308' cost.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I hear you can cycle 762 by 39 from a regular AR-15 mag, just can't load more than 10 rounds without it curving around inside the mag and jamming

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    was never into it personally. Underperforming in the qualities that I typically seek, and has been turned into a holy figure by the cult of younger and generally brain-rotted Combloc fans. round does nothing for me, crowd pushes me away
    Before covid shut things down there was talk about a Russian Saiga factory coming to Florida and establishing domestic production of pure Russian AK's and ammo on American soil, to get around the import tariffs and restrictions. Much the same way Toyota vehicles have done the same thing and are now produced in America. I see this as the future in caliber wars. Obama shut down the last US lead smelting factory and made all US military ammo in the future lead free, so that's going to kill US production of cheap 223-556 in the near future and drive prices through the roof and encourage competition with other calibers. In a weird twist, 308/762 NATO is projected to soon be cheaper than 223/556 because we'll all still be able to buy surplus lead core 762 NATO after all military issue lead free 556 government order factory overruns have been deemed armor piercing and illegal to sell to the public. Word to the wise: buy a lifetime worth of lead core 223 now. It will never be cheaper in your lifetime then it is right now unless a future administration opens up a new American lead smelting industry

Last edited:

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok.... Fudds at the camp called it a "BB" gun too. The largest deer taken at the camp this year. Haven't heard any more crap talk. Jumped 20 feet and fell stone dead. X39 View attachment 213265
    Not relevant to what i said. The operative words for the more astute readers in the class was “the qualities that i typically seek”.

I prefer faster and flatter ballistics than 7.62x39

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Not relevant to what i said. The operative words for the more astute readers in the class was “the qualities that i typically seek”.

I prefer faster and flatter ballistics than 7.62x39
    "faster and flatter ballistics" ... you must travel a lot to open range areas like out west.

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    "faster and flatter ballistics" ... you must travel a lot to open range areas like out west.
    No sir, i dont have much interest in the great desert expanse, just as a whole i value the ballistics of 5.56 and 5.45. Nothing wrong with 7.62x39, but it doesnt excite me.

Someone confused that with me saying its a bad round, which is only “true” from a military sense, where smaller diameter, faster projectiles are more desireable, but 7.62 has stayed around because of logistics issued

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I do respect peoples personal opinions and I do see the utility in both of those chamberings. Not to hi-jack this thread any further, I only offer that there are also numerous examples of the larger slower cartridges (i.e. 45-70 Gov) that have proven their ability in the field. There is utility to the examples that you gave, but they have their limits just as the venerable .45-70 Gov. The interest I have in the 7.62 Soviet is the platforms (AKM) are rugged and reliable semi-auto and comfortable to shoot with moderate recoil for my kids while out on a hog hunt with rapid follow up shots as hogs can be dangerous. There is no such thing as the perfect projectile or platform, the moment something is created is when someone finds a way to upgrade it and there is always something better coming out.

edit: I have handled several of the original STG44s while in Iraq years ago. its a very interesting answer to the question at the time.

Ozymandias

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do respect peoples personal opinions and I do see the utility in both of those chamberings. Not to hi-jack this thread any further, I only offer that there are also numerous examples of the larger slower cartridges (i.e. 45-70 Gov) that have proven their ability in the field. There is utility to the examples that you gave, but they have their limits just as the venerable .45-70 Gov. The interest I have in the 7.62 Soviet is the platforms (AKM) are rugged and reliable semi-auto and comfortable to shoot with moderate recoil for my kids while out on a hog hunt with rapid follow up shots as hogs can be dangerous. There is no such thing as the perfect projectile or platform, the moment something is created is when someone finds a way to upgrade it and there is always something better coming out.

edit: I have handled several of the original STG44s while in Iraq years ago. its a very interesting answer to the question at the time.
    I agree with this mostly. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Im of the opinion that the AK is, on a military level, less reliable than the AR.

.45-70 is fun for its antiquity. Theres a reason why its not used anymore today, and it has far more charm than a round that the soviets tried to abandon in the 70s

It seems ive hurt Rebel’s feelings. Sorry.

72sofsme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    45-70 Gov is perfect brown bear medicine, very well proven for that task time and again. It remains to this day the go to for most guides in bear country, so that is an inaccurate statement. It is also a great one shot stopper for troublesome feral swine. But, there are a plethora of cartridges that have equal value in this application. But hunting in the thick brush/swamps of Florida provides its own set of unique challenges and cartridge selection is vital in this.

Reliability: I've employed AKs that were badly damaged from explosions and they "worked"! I've had ARs fail me while at NRA matches. I have my favorites just like anyone else but accuracy will hands down go to the AR. The Russians are still employing the 7.62x39mm in many SOF like units, definitely not on a wide scale ... but not abandoned by any stretch.

Top Bottom