• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What WILL cause a gun to malfunction is it's cleanliness.
    This isn't combat gentlemen. We all have time to maintain out weapons properly.
    Use is one thing . . . abuse is another. You weapon is a machine.
    There . . finished . . sorry. --- SAWMAN
    The word used is 'could' and not 'will'. What effort does it take to do it the 'correct' way and it eliminates one possible factor from the equation. I have never purchased an upper without the rings and they are always misaligned.
    Cleaning when there is a problem is always the smart thing to do.

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What WILL cause a gun to malfunction is it's cleanliness.
    This isn't combat gentlemen. We all have time to maintain out weapons properly.
    Use is one thing . . . abuse is another. You weapon is a machine.
    There . . finished . . sorry. --- SAWMAN

Trust me the cleanliness is NOT the problem sir. I'm too anal about the way my weapons are cleaned. It takes me about an hour just for the AR. And probably 2 hours for my 3 pistols. But I DO get your point. So are you saying that I SHOULD line up the gas rings?
    Thank you again

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hole in the barrel under the gas block is some where between 90 and 120 thousandths of an inch , it doesn’t take much mis alignment to cover part or all of that hole. That will restrict or stop the flow of gas. straightening up that gas block is the first thing I’d try.

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The hole in the barrel under the gas block is some where between 90 and 120 thousandths of an inch , it doesn’t take much mis alignment to cover part or all of that hole. That will restrict or stop the flow of gas. straightening up that gas block is the first thing I’d try.
    That's what I did, and it fired fine till it didnt, I think it wiggled loose again. However thank you for your response.

I don't try to fix online or on the Ph. any more. If you want to bring it . will fix it if it is possible. Can fire it here to make sure . want have to go any where. Have most parts. 850-572-6611 jj Just my 5 cents

JJ, the man, the myth, the legend....
    I totally understand your point on trying to diagnose a problem without seeing it in person (I help rebuild cars, one mand clunk is other means boom). I will be getting up with you about this HOPEFULLY later today, and also about threading my barrel for a brake. I DID buy a new .750 gas block yesterday, but can always return it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So are you having performance problems while individually loading rounds? Handload one and have another in the mag, if it's the gas block round two is going to be a problem. If the problem is lower in the mag, (ie round 3-30) perhaps it's a mag problem. JMHO.

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Tha is to all who have helped or chimed in with tips and tricks. After talking to JJ last night we have narrowed down the course of action. I believe it to be my gas rings. 2 of them are good but the 3rd one has a bigger gap between the ends. I will be taking it to him and have him look it over for me, that and hopefully to get him to thread other rifle

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JJ has a stellar reputation, the job gets done and the rest is a Bonus! Did "Other stuff" include the gas block properly positioned and fastened in place? I had to ask as that was a glaring repeat problem.

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Did "Other stuff" include the gas block properly positioned and fastened in place? I had to ask as that was a glaring repeat problem.
    No sir, I went ahead and replaced my gas block just because of the coloring of the old one, I'm not that incompetent. He replaced the gas rings and the takedown pin holder inner thing, I forget the name of it. He also adjusted my pin that keeps the upper tightened to the lower. I never knew what it was for until he taught me. I haven't been this excited about my ar in a long time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom