• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just bought a Howa 1500 308 caliber. Now I need a good scope. I hunt in south Mississippi and hunt for Whitetail. I definitely will shoot in low light conditions. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Last edited:

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    $300. $400 max

Check out the Leopold VX freedom series. Should be right around $300. I put one on a model 70 my dad had me build as a gift for a friend of his last fall and he was really happy with it after hunting all season with it. I did a lot of research of different scopes in that price range before picking it.

I also have 2 vortex diamondback 3-9’s that I’m happy with. They’re under $250. I got them on a clearance for less, but if paying full price, I’d probably spend the $50 extra for the leupold.

Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40mm Riflescope https://a.co/d/bvDqHyu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Be hard to get something that'll perform well for that budget . I'd look for a used ( careful shopping oughta turn up something in your budget ) Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 x 40 / 50 , Bushnell Elite 6500 or 4200 , Leupold Vari X III or a Trijicon Accupoint . If you had more I'd tell you a new Zeiss V4 . For low light you need good lenses with great coatings . You also want an exit pupil of 7mm or as close as possible . IE a 6X would need a 42mm objective , 8X 56mm which along with quality glass increases price . The Euro stuff has superior lens / coatings because they hunt boar at night & superior low light performance is mandatory . Really helps picking them out of the treeline @ dawn / dusk .

Last edited:

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    2x cost of rifle.

Sounds good on paper, but let’s be real, not many people doing that, myself included.

Bushnell is still king of the market, and for many, they work just fine at $100.

I like a little higher end than that, and have more than 1 multi thousand dollar scopes my dad gave me, and I really don’t think my swavoskis are that much better than my $300 scopes. None of my expensive scopes are even mounted right now

Last edited:

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So I have gone through three scopes in two years for deer hunting. The older I get the worse my eyes get. Started with a Vortex, then got a Leupold VX, now I have a Zeiss Conquest. I second the Zeiss (Buy once cry once) and get the one with the illuminated dot, helps for low light shot placement. Now I love me some Vortex, and own many. But I think the Zeiss is better.

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the Leopold VX freedom series. Should be right around $300. I put one on a model 70 my dad had me build as a gift for a friend of his last fall and he was really happy with it after hunting all season with it. I did a lot of research of different scopes in that price range before picking it.

I also have 2 vortex diamondback 3-9’s that I’m happy with. They’re under $250. I got them on a clearance for less, but if paying full price, I’d probably spend the $50 extra for the leupold.

Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40mm Riflescope https://a.co/d/bvDqHyu

Thanks a ton, Woodsy85!

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be hard to get something that'll perform well for that budget . I'd look for a used ( careful shopping oughta turn up something in your budget ) Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 x 40 / 50 , Bushnell Elite 6500 or 4200 , Leupold Vari X III or a Trijicon Accupoint . If you had more I'd tell you a new Zeiss V4 . For low light you need good lenses with great coatings . You also want an exit pupil of 7mm or as close as possible . IE a 6X would need a 42mm objective , 8X 56mm which along with quality glass increases price . The Euro stuff has superior lens / coatings because they hunt boar at night & superior low light performance is mandatory . Really helps picking them out of the treeline @ dawn / dusk .
    Thanks for your thorough response

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds good on paper, but let’s be real, not many people doing that, myself included.

Bushnell is still king of the market, and for many, they work just fine at $100.

I like a little higher end than that, and have more than 1 multi thousand dollar scopes my dad gave me, and I really don’t think my swavoskis are that much better than my $300 scopes. None of my expensive scopes are even mounted right now

Thanks. Please let me know what scopes you like in that $300-$400 dollar range. I have no interest in shooting over 500 yards. I will rarely shoot over 300 yards. I do need to shoot in low light, because the deer come out so late.

gejshooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I have gone through three scopes in two years for deer hunting. The older I get the worse my eyes get. Started with a Vortex, then got a Leupold VX, now I have a Zeiss Conquest. I second the Zeiss (Buy once cry once) and get the one with the illuminated dot, helps for low light shot placement. Now I love me some Vortex, and own many. But I think the Zeiss is better.
    Thanks. What specific model for the zeiss? Thanks.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Athlon is Chinese glass . Illuminated reticles are nice , especially for us geezers . Does increase costs however . Trijicon recticles I like in the regard that the whole recticle doesn't light up like an Xmas tree on fire . Accupoint line don't need no stinkin' batteries no . I've got 2 of their Ten Mile line ( above your budget ) & only a tiny dot in the center lights up , diesn't blind / distract . That Viper PST is a lot of scope for that price . I'd think it more magnification for way you hunt & I'm not a fan of tactical recticles for hunting . If you're a dialer ( I aint ) might work . I just stick with what shoots well in that rifle , zero it with that load ( 200yds std cals , 300 for mags ) & hold off or over / under as needed . Easier that way ( if you know gun / load ) , just point & shoot ( no stinkin' thinkin' ) .

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom