• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've shot 1911's with finger groove grips, with rubber grips, wood grips, slim grips, palm-swell grips, etc. But I've never felt a set of grips as comfortable as those on my dad's old 1970's Colt Gold Cup. They're nothing fancy, just worn to hell and probably have a combination of skin and gun oil that has filled the nooks and crannies, the raised diamonds are near smooth.
    Anyway, if you were to buy new grips to put on a 1911 for range use, what would you get for the most comfortable shooting experience? VZ? Lok? custom walnut grips?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on the front & backstrap configuration of the 1911's grip. Checkered front strap, flat backstrap? Plain front strap, arched backstrap? Small hands, thin grip with thumb cut to mag release. No checkering on front strap, Pachmayr wrap around. Checkered front strap, Guuun G10 Slim Grip Diamond Texture with mag release relief. Or if you didn't want to change the screw size, Guuun G10 Standard Diamond Texture with mag release relief.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The hogue/pachmayer wraparound grips feel good until I'm shooting, at least in my experience. I don't shoot them worth a damn. Pistol I have has a checkered/flat backstrap and smooth front strap. Anyone ever shot with old-school target grips on a 1911? The kind with the thumb rest on the left panel and an adjustable counter-weight? My only experience with one was in the mid-80's and my hand wasn't quite big enough to fit it at the time. I've grown a lot since I was ten.
    I don't plan on dumping a bunch of money into this plinker, but I've always wanted to get a bit silly with a 1911 to make it as insanely fun to shoot as possible, and this little 9mm Springfield Garrison seems like it's got a great start already. It's already got a very comfortable, enlarged beavertail grip safety and a beautiful salt-blued finish on it that polishes nicely on the slabs and is matte on top. The sights are pretty good for low-profile fixed ones, though they're both dovetailed in if I decide to switch them out for something different. No rail on it, but for me I don't plan on putting a light on it anyway, and the 9mm doesn't need the added weight in the front as it's already a couple ounces heavier than the 45acp version as there's more mass in the match barrel. The question is, if you were to put grips on a pistol for pure comfort to shoot, what would they be?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hogue/pachmayer wraparound grips feel good until I'm shooting, at least in my experience. I don't shoot them worth a damn. Pistol I have has a checkered/flat backstrap and smooth front strap. Anyone ever shot with old-school target grips on a 1911? The kind with the thumb rest on the left panel and an adjustable counter-weight? My only experience with one was in the mid-80's and my hand wasn't quite big enough to fit it at the time. I've grown a lot since I was ten.
    I don't plan on dumping a bunch of money into this plinker, but I've always wanted to get a bit silly with a 1911 to make it as insanely fun to shoot as possible, and this little 9mm Springfield Garrison seems like it's got a great start already. It's already got a very comfortable, enlarged beavertail grip safety and a beautiful salt-blued finish on it that polishes nicely on the slabs and is matte on top. The sights are pretty good for low-profile fixed ones, though they're both dovetailed in if I decide to switch them out for something different. No rail on it, but for me I don't plan on putting a light on it anyway, and the 9mm doesn't need the added weight in the front as it's already a couple ounces heavier than the 45acp version as there's more mass in the match barrel. The question is, if you were to put grips on a pistol for pure comfort to shoot, what would they be?
    Here is how you get the most comfortable grip to shoot. Trace your shooting hand on a piece of paper. Trace the grip frame of your 1911. Stick them in an envelope and mail them to the artisan of your choice, and pay whatever that artisan wants to craft your grip as long as it comes with a satisfaction guaranteed clause. Ain't a factory made one size fits all grip that shall ever match it! JMHO. Now you can do the same Thing with modeling clay and quality wood if you whittle. It may even be more satisfying. It sure will take a bit longer, but it won't be anywhere near as expensive. LOL.

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Here is how you get the most comfortable grip to shoot. Trace your shooting hand on a piece of paper. Trace the grip frame of your 1911. Stick them in an envelope and mail them to the artisan of your choice, and pay whatever that artisan wants to craft your grip as long as it comes with a satisfaction guaranteed clause. Ain't a factory made one size fits all grip that shall ever match it! JMHO. Now you can do the same Thing with modeling clay and quality wood if you whittle. It may even be more satisfying. It sure will take a bit longer, but it won't be anywhere near as expensive. LOL.
    I've actually debated making a set of grips. I've got some nice black walnut, mahogany, and cherry wood to choose from. I'm a custom carpenter by trade, but I'm not much into carving, but I can tinker with it. Hardest thing is getting the screw holes perfectly lined up and straight.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've actually debated making a set of grips. I've got some nice black walnut, mahogany, and cherry wood to choose from. I'm a custom carpenter by trade, but I'm not much into carving, but I can tinker with it. Hardest thing is getting the screw holes perfectly lined up and straight.
    Start with the block that you craft with the screw holes perfectly aliened. Make a couple three if your not confident. Whittle away a half at a time to match your clay. Have Fun.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since I got no idea what you consider comfortable I'll tell you what works for me . Besides usable sights & a decent trigger being able to control / recover & insure multiple hits are IMHO mandatory . I'm old & was trained on slab / service grips . While trigger control is # 1 , a firm consistent grip & sight alignment are also vital . Fancy custom anatomical grips can help one learn a consistent grip , but also can become " training wheels " . Unless shooting free pistol or air pistol olympic level with triggers in ounces ..........
    We were also taught to grip FIRMLY as 25yd rapid fire one-handed with GI brown-box 230 ball caint have gun squirming around on ya . So I like what most would consider aggressive grip / frame texturing ie 20 - 25lpi checkering , stippling ala " tiger tooth " & Sharkskin grips . Skateboard / non-skid tape is cheap & non-marring .

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I imagine the main thing you will find out with a thread like this is ... everyone has their own opinion and they are all tailored to each's experience. It all depends on your hand size, and if your thick or thin boned ..etc. You have to make your own decision in this matter. Trial and error is the only way.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have VZ’s on my 1911 and VZ’s and LOK’s on my CZ’s. What I found after a few tries is if I get th‘em too grippy, I can sand them down a little. If there are too slippery - not much I can do. Kind of liking breaking out the wood stretcher if you cut it too short.

TheDonVito

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have railscales grips and grip tape on mine. Works well and I’ve got nothing but positive feedback on the grips from everyone who holds/shoots it.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom