• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    And civil war and 1812 would be nice.
    my daddy worked on the frisco railroad out of pensacola. he was a bottle collector. he would work the townsites that didnt exist anymore up and down the frisco line from pcola up into alabama. i still remember some of them. of course we used frog gigs to search for bottles. never used a metal detector. but i imagine those spots would be ripe for metal as they were glass.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I am using a Garrett Ace 350. It belongs to my dad.
    Pretty good machine. I've got the White's beach hunter ID, XLT E and two old Tesoros Sidewinder with troy 7 and a brown box bandito 2. Currently collecting dust, lol. Used to be a dealer for Grey ghost headphones, very good.

Used quite a few over the years. Minelab, detector pro, Garrett, Fisher and a pile of Tesoro. Kinda like guns some excel at somethings and not at others.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I tried my hand at magnet fishing pulled alotta of trash off our bridges on the west side. Was hoping to find something more interesting

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Last few times I metal detected in orange beach found a few rings, but I was in chest deep water and every time the bait fish started jumping I kept thinking “big fish” and hearing JAWS music

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Last few times I metal detected in orange beach found a few rings, but I was in chest deep water and every time the bait fish started jumping I kept thinking “big fish” and hearing JAWS music
    Step on a leopard ray, shocking... I don't go at night anymore. Not to mention bull sharks. Nope!
    Best time is just before a hurricane when the water is ripping down the sand. Scored 7 rings. Some nice ones too. Sketchy? Yes but worth it.
    Me lazy hunting. If you ever find a cut with black sand hunt the hell out of it!
    20140824_145835 (2).jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Can you explain the black sand cut?
    Believe it or not there is black sand way under the beach, dunes. Iron magnight? It's dense enough to stop the sinking of items. Just like the stuff they look for in streams when gold prospecting. Silver or copper will have a shell of crud on them. Gold sometimes is stained but you can easily see it and clean it. Depending on the K.(18,14,10k) you normally don't see cuts deep enough but when you do, wow. Sometimes the pools just inside the edge can have good items in them too.
    When water hunting you'll be going along and find a deeper spot too, work it slow.
    The further the item is from the coil the smaller the signal.
    ** stainless items are dam near invisible to a detector, try some on your machine. At the beach I dig everything that goes beep or buzz in all metal mode.
    Ymmv

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks makes sense and I have pulled items from that sort of sand. Sanders beach in the city limits has lots in its waters. I wish I did scuba I figure Bayview park would be quite the honey hole as the water way was a popular swimming spot for early Pensacola residents but where the diving platform was is also pretty deep and the water clarity is next to nothing.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since ya'll resurected this. I'm no treasure hunter/metal detector, but an old friend used to swear by an old railroad bed east of FL 85 as (ETA before) you cross the FL/AL line for civil war relics. Do your research, watch out for private property , and good luck.

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hunt Au at the Alabama Gold Camp but I doubt there's a nugget big enough to register on a detector. All I've found is a piece about the size of a pin head to micro gold, about enough to pay for the gas in the water pump. It looks like the place to go for metal detecting for gold is Arizona, plenty of wide open places you can metal detect. Check out Miner's Depot for info about it.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The other day my adult son mentioned he'd love to have a metal detector. I thought about it and remembered I have a little used Mine Lab X Terra 70 in storage. I got it out, put in batteries and it fired right up. What I couldn't find is the instruction manual. The 70 is no longer made, but has lots of high tech features that need to be set. Mine Lab doesn't list its manual in their download area. They've also not responded to my communication. Searching for the manual on the Internet, I found an area claiming to have the manual, but my virus checker popped up and danger, close this window and exit that site. Watching a YouTube video may be a way to go.

Anyone have any ideas on getting a manual/instructions for the 70?

Top Bottom