• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I hope you find it.

I returned from the range (ERML) one day and later received a phone call asking if I was missing a gun. my response was "God, I hope not." Fortunately it wasn't mine.

The answer to that is always YES! Let me come out and look at it to make sure it is mine.

Examine the serial number (or markings and scratches for non-serialized) then come up with a good reason why you remember the markings or the serial number.
    It will be on Armslist or a pawnshop by now. I would never keep a gun I found. Ever. Bad karma.

Unless I find it in the bathroom. Good karma to keep those.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang OP, I watched this thread hoping to see you got your gun back. When I lived up that way, there were some on those ranges I just didn't want to be around. Freedom is one thing, but as others have posted, report it lost/missing and CYA. In today's paranoid, anti-gun environment, if it can be linked/tied to you, it will.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    FWIW concerning the "registration"....

If you fill out a paper 4473, the SN and your information are on that form together. That stays with the FFL while they're in business. Unless there's a trace, multiple sales form or the shop volunteers the info to someone else, nobody else should know.

If LE is checking a SN, that doesn't involve a trace, they're most likely checking to see if it's reported stolen/lost, not that it's "registered" to you.

Anything digital.... I would assume that is stored somewhere indefinitely.

Does not apply to "ban" states.

Hope the OP's gun shows up.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Someone left a Rem 7mm rifle as the Santa Rosa Shooting Center a couple years back. I think they eventually found the owner! I never asked.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As for registering, while it is actually illegal for the government to keep records of purchases, it's also illegal to allow people to cross the border and then give them money and transport them to cities in the U.S. My point? They've been tracking firearm purchases for a while. They're pretty much tracking all purchases. Those multi-billion dollar facilities they built to track everything is and has been tracking everything. Some will argue, if they track everything, then in effect, they are tracking nothing. That is sort of true, except with the computers and software they have at their disposal, they can convert all of that "data" into information in a matter of seconds!

TaiKoon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    As for registering, while it is actually illegal for the government to keep records of purchases, it's also illegal to allow people to cross the border and then give them money and transport them to cities in the U.S. My point? They've been tracking firearm purchases for a while. They're pretty much tracking all purchases. Those multi-billion dollar facilities they built to track everything is and has been tracking everything. Some will argue, if they track everything, then in effect, they are tracking nothing. That is sort of true, except with the computers and software they have at their disposal, they can convert all of that "data" into information in a matter of seconds!
    That was pretty much my point from the get go. It might not be “registered” in the normal sense but once both the name and the firearms SN are run through a federal database somewhere it isn’t hard to connects to dots. Personally I could careless about being tracked. I spent enough time working for Uncle Sam and paying taxes that it just doesn’t phase me anymore.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was pretty much my point from the get go. It might not be “registered” in the normal sense but once both the name and the firearms SN are run through a federal database somewhere it isn’t hard to connects to dots. Personally I could careless about being tracked. I spent enough time working for Uncle Sam and paying taxes that it just doesn’t phase me anymore.
    I agree mostly but the people “in charge” now are not like any we've had before! That’s all I’ll say, except watch Ga and Pa! There’s gonna be some 2020 type action as these two seat are critical!

ratio411

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The background check does not identify the firearm. All they tell the government is handgun, long gun, or multi. The firearm is not registered in any way. The only thing tying the firearm and you is the records on file in the gun store. The government has to hoof it to the gun store (I believe with a warrant) to get the purchaser’s name.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    The background check does not identify the firearm. All they tell the government is handgun, long gun, or multi. The firearm is not registered in any way. The only thing tying the firearm and you is the records on file in the gun store. The government has to hoof it to the gun store (I believe with a warrant) to get the purchaser’s name.
    They can find you if they need to. That's close enough to being registered to me.

Top Bottom