• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm sick and tired of buying what I thought was a good deal and the kitchen set turns out to be junk...so I ask what are folks recommending for a good set of knives for the average home....I heard of Cutco and Mac, but don't know a whole lot other than the ones I have now (Chicago Cutlery) suck.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I like the kitchen block set by Cold Steel. I think Kershaw makes one too, but the Cold Steel is a better price last I checked. Love the knives, just do NOT run them in a dishwasher on the botton basket....kryton handles WILL melt, ask my wife! :tape:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I know you're not supposed to, but I run mine in the washer, but I sharpen them before any serious use, and they've held up beautifully for almost 10 years.

There's some things where you get what you pay for. Socks, toilet paper, pans, knives and 1911s are prime examples.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My parents bought Cutco knives probably 20 years ago, they aren't knife nerds like me and wash them in the dishwasher, don't oil or sharpen them, etc and these knives are still sharp as hell, but they are expensive ($300-$400 per set). I personally use Shenzhen and Kyocera ceramic knives and love them. If you haven't used ceramic knives, they are idiot proof for maintenance and never need sharpened. You just have to use wood or bamboo cutting boards and not cut through bone. I also have a professional set of Mercer Culinary knives (soft roll kit for culinary schools) that has lasted since 97' and still is in great shape. Mercer makes some great knives.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've owned a few Shun knives before. They're ok, but not for the money. My GF's parents have CutCo, they are very nice and extremely sharp. My next and last set I will ever buy will be a set of Henckels. They are the Wilson Combat of kitchen knives.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Besides the risk of melting handles, is there a reason not to put such knives in the dishwasher? I ask this because it seems no matter what *steak knives* I buy, if I put them in the dishwasher, the *stainless* blades rust if they are laying against anything during the drying time. I'm wondering if quality kitchen knives have the same issue, or are made of a higher quality stainless steel. Someone told me its a matter of how much nickel is in the stainless?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    In my experience with Wusthofs and Henckels, the dishwasher just dulls the edge. Nothing that occasional re-sharpening won't fix. If yours ever show a little rust, which is rare, try a fine steel wool.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With fear of sounding like the cheapest person on this fourm I will tell you what we have. Watching the late nighr inframershals(SP) I bought a cheap set of Showtine 5Star knives. Best 30 or 40 dollars I ever spent. They stay sharp and when needed sharpen easy. I have used them for everything a person normally uses a knife for and they have stood up very well.SUPRISE. I don't have a dish washer so don't melt the handles off them and they dry in the sink and the China stainless dosen't rust.

Granted there are only 2 of us and the kids don't cut cardbord and sword fight with them. They go in the kitchen drawer like knives have for generations and have been a good set. I know they would be a great set for the camp any time I think they are the Ronco brand. You all know the guy. Sold black paint for your bald spot.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey , that was hair in a can, and it worked good too! Just don't jump in the neighbors pool.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to go high dollar, Henkels, Whustoff, etc. are all great. But not the set for $80 or $120. Those are Crap. You'll spend $80 plus just for a good chef's knife from them.

If you want to keep it cheap, find a Pampered Chef dealer and get the knives that come with a hard sheath, with sharpener built in. That's the best $25 chef's knife I've ever owned.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Wustof but I'd like to try the ceramic knives. I'm picky with my cookware and prep knives. On a related note, I love my Scanpan (I hate tephlon) and I like my Cephalon stainless steel pan as well. Both are heavy and cook even.

Skippy02

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine are all JA Henckels and while pricey I love them and totally recommend them

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Besides the risk of melting handles, is there a reason not to put such knives in the dishwasher? I ask this because it seems no matter what *steak knives* I buy, if I put them in the dishwasher, the *stainless* blades rust if they are laying against anything during the drying time. I'm wondering if quality kitchen knives have the same issue, or are made of a higher quality stainless steel. Someone told me its a matter of how much nickel is in the stainless?

There are many different grades of SS and some are more susceptible to corrosion. All stainless will rust under certain conditions. The reason stainless rusts when touching other metal during drying is call crevice corrosion. Oxygen is actually what causes the corrosion and the oxygen in the tiny bit of water trapped between the metals enhances corrosion.

Clattering around in the dishwasher against other stuff is what dulls them.

My wife bought a set of Rachel Ray knives by Furi a few years ago. They have provided excellent service but they have never been in the dishwasher or just tossed into the sink after use. They are hand washed and dried and put back into the case. If you don't take care of that Wilson Combat 1911 it will be junk in a couple of years.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, I try to tell my wife that, about everything beating against each other in the washer. Might as well take those K Ives out and bang the edge on concrete.

We had a very expensive set of knives that went under water in Ivan. I didn't get to them for a while. They still cut well and sharpen great but they're stained from rust. I've tried phosphoric acid, everything I can think of to get the stain out.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Try some muriatic acid like for cleaning bricks and grout. I had a SS boat propeller that was rusty and that cleaned it up instantly.

By the way, treating stainless steel with with acid is called "stabilizing" and actually helps prevent rusting.

Skippy02

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wash mind in the machine but I use the knife holders in it and don't place anything against anything, that just defeats the purpose of washing them. Never had an issue with the handles, blades, rivets, anything

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Everybody should have a few ceramic knives. They are razor sharp and stay that way.
    They have come down in price a lot the last few years. Wasn't but a few years ago that a single ceramic knife was over $100.
    Last year I bought a set at Sam's Club for $20.
    Like was said before, they aren't for bone, twisting or prying but man will they slice meat and vegetables.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've some Wusthofs I got while I was stationed in Scotland in 1983. My kids will be fighting over them one day.

I have picked up a few Henckels too. One was a thrift store find and the other was at a gun show. I was all whoo hoo! and excited to pick it up for $5.00 at the show and my friends are looking at me like I'm crazy.

Top Bottom