• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yea i would have ahard time trusting the companies like that. I have prepared my own online just to compare what i would get or owe compared to the accountant i use and its crazy the difference it was. I am kind of scared to see what the afforadbale care act will do this year as ill get the penatly since me or my wife dont use medical insurance, just our kids.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife was an accountant and an IRS enrolled agent for a couple of decades. She would look over tax returns done by H&R Block and other preparers. She consistently found more money for everyone. It's almost criminal what those chain tax places turn out.

I believe it was the Council for Fair Taxation that did a test by giving 40 something tax preparers the exact same tax information and got 40 something different returns, not a one was the same.

RicK

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe it was the Council for Fair Taxation that did a test by giving 40 something tax preparers the exact same tax information and got 40 something different returns, not a one was the same.

RicK

Reason for that is that a lot of tax preparers were trained by those quicky tax preparation classes like H&R Block puts on so they have warm bodies in the office during the season. Also, a lot depends on how close a preparer wants to push the envelope on what's acceptable and what's not.

My wife was an accountant and tax prep was just one service she provided. She went to school off and on and every year, she took continuing education classes, sometimes spending a LOT of time at home studying to stay up to date on rules and regulations. Also, it didn't hurt that she was on a first name basis and had an excellent working relationship with a bunch of local IRS agents. Heck, she occasionally had them call her for advice.

One of the reasons the present way of collecting taxes is bogus is that there are a lot of ambiguities, constant changing of rules and just about every filing can be scrutinized with a different outcome depending on which agent is auditing the return.

Preparer A: Doesn't give a crap. He/she grabs your stuff, knocks it out in 15 minutes and charges you the flat rate for an hour's work. Probably left money on the table that the govt owes you but you'll never know.

Preparer B: Conciencious, plays by the rules but doesn't stay current with changes, might have been able to get you more money but not sure so plays it safe. Better to err on the safe side

Preparer C: Wants to prove their genius by pushing the edge, uses some questionable deductions but you're dazzled when they announce how much you're getting back. Youre pleased when you leave with your check. Maybe not so much if you get audited.

Preparer D: Puts in the time, knows what information is needed, knows the latest deductions available plus which ones may have expired in the current year. This person sits down with a client, and sort of like a doctor or investigator, knows how to question you for seemingly minor details, possibly purchases you've made that year that have depreciation value, medical costs, a myriad of things. A good one gets a complete picture of your finances, expenditures, many details needed to fill in those forms accurately and legally.

It's a tedious, time consuming job even for the sharpest preparer if they want to get their client money owed to them or on the other end, keep them out of debt and jail.

On the preparer's side: You have lazy clients that won't do the footwork. My wife spent a good deal of time bugging the snot out of clients to find and bring receipts, transaction records, bills, etc. and get them to her in a timely manner so she could get the filing done by the deadlines.

Then you have people that are convinced they're owed a huge refund. When the prep is done they cop a 'tude when they get the bad news, only getting a third back or worse, owing money. That's ALWAYS the preparer's fault.

Next are the misguided clients. They have an uncle, who's third cousin's aunt worked for Joe Blow's hair styling and tax prep office back in the 70's. She said you can do this and that and get $5K. The preparer explains that rule doesn't apply anymore so therefore is not as sharp as the fat aunt that was up to date 4 decades ago.

Finally, the shady clients. Probably a business owner. That sat down and read an article on the subject. They bring in one of their two sets of books, sit down and explain to the preparer what they want done, what deductions to take, how to interpret a rule and go into detail on how to twist figures to arrive at what they want.

My wife has been threatened on several occasions by clients (including some well known business people in this town) who demanded she file knowingly false statements. She's refused and had everything from her reputation to her life threatened. She also had clients that she made sign multiple copies of statements saying why she refused to work for them. She kept extremely accurate records with multiple file copies to absolutely prove she did everything in her power to file accurately and honestly.

On a couple of occasions she has been visited by the FBI and questioned about a certain client. It blew those guys away when she went straight to a file box, handed it to them and said "here's my complete history with this person. Any questions you have can be answered in here. If you need anything else call me". Shes gone with clients and won litigation for them against the IRS, occasionally making the government guys look dumb and on the flip side turned down job offers from the govt. to work for them. Shes also been to court and helped convict fraud.

All of this long winded crap to say this: Fair tax.

She thoroughly believes in it. She made great bucks doing taxes but she is an authority on why it's just so much bullshit. She knows the workings inside and out. The Fair Tax would actually bring in more revenue and make everything fair. The reason why it will probably never come about is it'll put a lot of govt. employees out of work and remove a weapon that can be used against anyone the govt feels needs to be punished.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Obama talks about giving tax breaks to the middle class when all he's done in office is raise taxes on us. 2 years ago we got $2k back in taxes without a lot of change in income. Last year my wife and I filing jointly got $1,500 back. This year we're getting back $600 when our income went down $5k due to my wife going part time in her job. My son is 17 and more costly than ever yet since he's 17 I no longer get a child tax credit for him. Bunch of BS is what our outdated complicated tax code is!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me ask you a thoughtful question, that being a question that causes you to think; Would you prefer to pay taxes or have O'Bozo the First, Clown Prince of Chicago, come to live with you?

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which one of you admin mods edited/removed my sweet comment?? Tell me now

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you TennJeep. No troll Stan, that is humor. You really do not need to hear what I really think of the IRS. I happen to be one of the contributors to GWB that was targeted by the IRS.
    Ed

Top Bottom