• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After a weekend of different shooting positions, and rereading "Leather Sling and Shooting Positions" by M/SGT James R. Owens, I was wondering just how important a slings composition and rigging is? Does rifle weight or configuration make any difference.
    Your input, opinions, etc... are Welcomed. Thank You for your time in advance.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    You need the right one and wear it correctly, which I know nothing about. Lol. I've tried a few. Always take them off. I don't hunt but I believe adjusted right a sling could make your muzzle more steady.

Ned

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weapon retention is important. Don't wanna lose your boom stick to a commie

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    personally when shooting from a bench not much. but just my opinion for a house gun yes. what if you have to go pistol need to retain long gun

As a youth in cornfield county the Old Timers used to swear that a hunting firearm didn't need a sling, since it should always be in the hunters hands because you never knew when or where game would flush.

The more modern version from Army Infantry is that your M/AR shouldn't have a handle because it's not a purse. LOL.

If the sling is just for retention, wouldn't para-cord work?

Crabbyguy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Everyone of my “fighting” rifles have slings. Climbing requires two hands. Sometimes you may have to go hands on, sling required. Transitioning to sidearm; weapons malfunction or runs dry, sling required. Having said that I am speaking from an Infantrymans background. Not all my rifles have them but the ones that I would grab if need be all have them. My sling of choice is a vickers blue force gear. As far as using para cord; unless you braid it all up then it would be so uncomfortable, (digging in your body) and even then it still wouldn’t be as comfortable or useable as an actual sling. Just my two cents take it as you will.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Like a lot of things, it's not important until it is.

A good sling, properly setup, can help you shoot but I'd argue its the keeping the rifle on your person as you do other things is the more important aspect. Your needs may vary but a solid and easily adjustable sling is a good piece of gear to have and be familiar with.

Para cord will work and may be tuned to your needs but I'm sure you'll find it lacking the more you use it. I'm a fan of the BFG Vickers (or similar). If you can source the hardware, you can save some money by using cheaper webbing but they're not bad on pricing. Depending on setup they offer a great two point and/or a convertible single point option.

Single point is great for "dynamic" work when changing shooting positions but can be a huge pain if not setup properly.

Like any other piece of gear you'll have to use it to figure out what you like.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots of good answers here but my main reason for a sling is rifles are heavy. If I have to walk a long way, I sling the thing.

Validating why the "Old Timers" distained youths having slings on thier hunting firearms.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me, a sling on a rifle/long gun is akin to a holster for a handgun.

Ease of carry, retention, assisting stability, and the ability to be hands free at any time while still maintain physical possession and control are benefits afforded by a sling.

Now the USN recommends a lanyard on a pistol attached to a permanently affixed point on support gear that allows full extension of the arm while still prohibiting the sidearm from hitting the deck below the operators feet. The Navy seems to think that "Davy Jones" has enough side arms donated to his "Locker". LOL.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    As a youth in cornfield county the Old Timers used to swear that a hunting firearm didn't need a sling, since it should always be in the hunters hands because you never knew when or where game would flush.

The more modern version from Army Infantry is that your M/AR shouldn't have a handle because it's not a purse. LOL.

If the sling is just for retention, wouldn't para-cord work?
    At the low ready position. So not just in your hands but also in your shoulder pocket and slightly raised

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Like a lot of things, it's not important until it is.

A good sling, properly setup, can help you shoot but I'd argue its the keeping the rifle on your person as you do other things is the more important aspect. Your needs may vary but a solid and easily adjustable sling is a good piece of gear to have and be familiar with.

Para cord will work and may be tuned to your needs but I'm sure you'll find it lacking the more you use it. I'm a fan of the BFG Vickers (or similar). If you can source the hardware, you can save some money by using cheaper webbing but they're not bad on pricing. Depending on setup they offer a great two point and/or a convertible single point option.

Single point is great for "dynamic" work when changing shooting positions but can be a huge pain if not setup properly.

Like any other piece of gear you'll have to use it to figure out what you like.
    I have an acquaintance who swears by these newer convertible "2 into 1" slings that have QD points to go from a 2 point sling to a single point sling... real freaking quick too. I just haven't found one locally yet to try out, but I believe in the concept. He demonstrated his on an AR and it was a game changer. Stay away from the 3 point slings. There's a bunch of good reasons why we sold all of our 3 point slings as surplus, but my favorite reason is that the 3 points were just too complicated and would hang up on things. Nevermind how much more heavy it is. Look at all that webbing, buckles, and velcro! Just more spots for potential failure. My current favorite is the original Colt "silent sling". Lightweight, silent, fool proof, no moving parts to fail, no plastic to break, no velcro to clog with mud, simple. And $5 at the shows, $10 to mail order
    Screenshot_20210810-024620_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-024230_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210810-024230_Chrome.jpg
      321.6 KB · Views: 58
    • Screenshot_20210810-024701_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210810-024701_Chrome.jpg
      220.9 KB · Views: 52
    Last edited:

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well im no commando but I wont let myself own a rifle without a sling, its like a handgun without a holster. How you gonna lug it around? Also can help stabilize your shot of course.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sling on any long gun I may need to tote. They also help with stabilizing a rifle for precise shot placement. Not much in the great outdoors that doesn't require more than 1 hand. The only long guns that I don't sling are for skeet and sporting clays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom