• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    But why hit me if I am not flaunting one of the EASIEST thing to sell on the street (a gun). Do you flaunt your cash when you have a wad of hundreds ??????? Same principal.
    If someone has the balls to run up on someone with a gun and hope they can knock them out in one hit, then they can have the damn thing.... honestly they will probably stick to pulling on unlocked door handles because there seems to be no shortage of dumbasses that leave their guns in their vehicle...

Again, 30+ states that already allow open carry... not too many examples of them being the first target or randomly attacked.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    There is one and only one reason I hope this passes, if you are conceal carry and you bend down and your shirt raises and shows your weapon you could be in allot of trouble. This would prevent that. That being said I will NEVER open carry. For those that say carrying open deters crime or the age old "Well if he did this I would do that" mentality I would encourage you to google "Knockout game" videos. If said perp is walking towards you and sees your 3K Wilson Combat he very well may decide to BLINDSIDE you and take your weapon. I would prefer to fly under the radar, and if you see mine then it is already too late !

bend from the knees and kneel down, wear baggy large shirts....

bad for all geezers to bend from the waist anyway....

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You know, and I may be crazy, but I think florida has a provision in the law for accidental/non threatening exposure of a firearm and printing.

This a step in the right direction. If only one in 100 license holders open carries, exposure goes up, people desensitize, perhaps unlicensed open carry will pass and(dare I dream) unlicensed concealed carry. Perhaps maybe one day high schools will commonly offer marksmen clubs.

While in dreaming, maybe divorce rates will go down, politicians will be honest, people will learn to drive....

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone care to read the whole bill...this part worries me.

* You cannot carry concealed or openly onto private property of any business or person who choses to prohibit it.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone care to read the whole bill...this part worries me.

* You cannot carry concealed or openly onto private property of any business or person who choses to prohibit it.

That's always been an issue. Like Walmart who doesn't want anyone carrying a gun in their store. If you get caught they can ask you to leave and you have to. It's not illegal just their right to refuse you service.

I'm more worried about that redacted part that John B. posted about showing a concealed firearm in a non threatening manner. Does that mean you can only have it one way? Either open carry or concealed carry; they don't overlap?

I figured they'd loosen up on the accidental shirt slip if open carry was legal???

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There has already been a provision to the Fl Statutes that PROTECTS CWP from the charge of brandishing a firearm when accidential or momentary exposure of the firearm occurs in a non threatening manner. So if your shirt rides up or your transistion from carry to encased weapon in vehicle, your okay. Be discrete.

I'm not a fan of OC except on the boat or in te bush. Prefer shock and awe when needed. We tend to shield our CC weapon side from others. People congestion can creep up fast even with good situational awareness, elevator, subway, even in narrow store isles. Is OC as much of a deterent as it is a caution that the BGs need a better plan? If a BG is determined to rob you and your CC, he may ask for your stuff and you respond as you need to. Same determined BG sees your OC, he will shoot you first get your goods and another gun too. Even a knife hurts your odds based on the 21 ft rule. For those that want to OC, a level 2 or 3 holster + practice may help retention. Weapon retention skills are little known or praticed outside LE and closely tied into defensive tactics.

I learned long ago there is aways someone bigger and badder out there. Why play poker with your cards face up? I say Walk quietly and carry a big concealed stick.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like many I'd like to see the bill passed, But I'm also aware that a few things can and most likely will happen.

Number 1 business will be pressured by the antis to post there properties and those that don't will be harassed and boycotted. And we all know most business are out to make a dollar or they get closed up so eventually they will give in and post their property. Not all will but most bigger places will.

Now carrying concealed no one but you know what or if you are carrying, so business you walk into carrying concealed shouldn't harass you, walk in open carry they have to ask you to leave if they are posted.

This causes a scene neither you nor the store wants to deal with, but we all know there will always be one idiot anti that will make a scene and the store will have to act.

The other thing I see is the few idiot wannabe gangsters trying to intimidate others by running around acting like pure a-holes and making honest gun owners look very bad, or worst yet the zealots that think they need to walk around with Aks & Ars strung over their backs in a grocery store.

There are still people out there that don't mind that individuals carry firearms but they don't feel comfortable seeing it or having it shown around their kids and grand parents etc.

As for the attitude some of you seem to have , That go ahead let someone try to knock me out and take my gun I'll take them on.

I truly hope that you are only kidding.

I have been one of the guys who used my firearm during not one but two attacks. I was able to survive but it took a long time to get over why I killed someone who was trying to kill me.

I don't care who you are, You will relive that few seconds over and over, you will analyze why and what else you could of done. It's not like being in the service and in combat, because you will plainly see the face of your attacker and remember it.

I was lucky I devoted literally thousands of hours on practical shooting situations and was an instructor before this all happened so I just reacted to the situation.

If taking a life isn't a bad enough thing it's the months turning in to years of being questioned about how and why it happened. The only relief you get is when your finally told that it was a justified shooting and cleared, but then you have the dam relatives that now want to sue you in civil courts. You better have deep pockets for lawyers is all I can say.

Also with those of you thinking about practicing open carry remember one thing. A firearm in the view of the public is still no good unless you practice, And that doesn't mean one or two trips to the range every year.

It means 3-4 hrs every week for a few months then at least a few hours each month, and that means shooting and practicing withe the firearm you intend to carry. If you can't successfully hit the target dead center at 50yrds with your carry firearm each time you fire it. Your better off leaving it home.

The above statements are only my honest opinions I'm sure some may not agree. But that's OK. I've been in situations others haven't been in and I hope and pray non of you are ever in.

I do want to see the Open carry bill passed just hope it doesn't screw things up worst.

DBCDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you remember when CCW was first being voted on lots of people were whinning, it will be like the wild west shoot outs every day on every street corner. We were all going to die. Actually turned out the opposite happened crime went down. I believe we will survive this too.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This open carry bill only adds to the statute in place so it still doesn't allow open carry for long guns (ar's ak's etc)

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bac, I appreciate the insight. The only two things I want to say is regarding training(which, im not disagreeing with you,) and the buissness's.
    With training, few law enforcment or armed security I know shoot that much. In fact many I know from each, shoot more than they are required to a year. I fully agree more=better though. Im glad you got what you needed, before you needed it, and your here to share your story.

And as far as anti's pressuring buissness's, well, if license holders and shooting enthusiast could live without Starbucks, awful house and Walmart for a month(and be bothered to write such establishments), in our own boycott then maybe some of these buissness would reconsider thier actions. Like unsaid in another thread, thisbisbamerixa, vote with your wallet, why support those who don't support you?

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Probably not... 30 some odd states with open carry... not many examples of that happening over the years.

There are 45 states that have open carry laws now. Florida and South Carolina are the two remaining free states that do not have open carry. The three liberal states that still do not allow it are Illinois, New York, and California.

flphotog

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let's not jump the gun here guys. It just got through the first committee. It's got 5 more committee's to go before it gets to the floor of the house and it hasn't even hit the first committee in the Senate. The house and senate aren't even in full session until after the first of the year, the earliest this can become law in 7/1/2016.
    It has yet to even be referred to the next committee.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And as far as anti's pressuring business's, well, if license holders and shooting enthusiast could live without Starbucks, awful house and Walmart for a month(and be bothered to write such establishments), in our own boycott then maybe some of these buissness would reconsider thier actions. Like unsaid in another thread, thisbisbamerixa, vote with your wallet, why support those who don't support you?

If only the firearm community would all band together many things would change. But unfortunately by looking back there are a few that voice concern when a law is trying to be formulated to take our rights away but in retrospect look how many gun owners in this country there our.

Why is it that many will voice an opinion on a forum but won't take the time to actually stand up and say enough is enough? The antis show heavy support against firearms but firearm owners sit back and let organizations like the NRA do their talking.

Firearms owners & enthusiasts need to wake up stop being lazy and take control of things. The time has come that instead of bitching in private forums or gun clubs to get out and hit the streets.

It's time to get behind candidates that support our rights to own firearms. If there aren't qualified candidates then we need to get some.

There is nothing in this country legal gun owners couldn't change if only they would all just band together. Stores & restaurants wouldn't be able to post their businesses and stay in business.

Gun owners in this country are one of the biggest majority of voters yet they fail to vote or voice their opinions when changes could be made. It's always a very few that will voice their opinions others take the I'm to busy approach or my voice doesn't count. And sadly the antis know this and have known it for years and push on with heavy support to remove all guns from America..

After voicing the above how many think by boycotting national business and having a few that actually write letters that it will change the business out look on posting their properties? It won't and why because not enough gun owners will stand up in public for their own rights .

Maxman back in the late 70s I worked nuclear security , We had a range on site and were expected to practice on it at least 2hrs a week when weather allowed and they supplied the ammunition.

I agree that most police & armed security don't practice enough I've worked with both.

Most police & security officers only have to certify once a year and very few old timers ever hit the range except a few times before certifying.

I searched out extra training and paid for it myself, I figured if the time ever did arise I'd like to be prepared. No one is ever really prepared though.

I became an instructor & range officer for a few different major security companies and I could write a book on the crap I saw. Guys showing up with french fries in their holsters, one guy carried the same firearm for 15yrs in a cigar box with the same bullets he was issued, And then there were the new candidates that had to qualify before they could work.

They'd maybe have had some military time but rarely shot since being out. The night before qualification they would go out and buy a shiny new 45 .

Come time to qualify they couldn't hit crap. I'd work a few hours with them some could handle it some couldn't.

For those that had problems I kept 5-6 Smith & Wesson 38 spl revolvers with me.

I'd hand them one and they'd be able to handle the recoil a bit better and actually qualify.

Only thing was you had to carry the firearm you qualified with, Lets just say I left with many new or slightly used 45s at the end of the day and very few S&Ws

I actually had a deal with a gun store I'd give them the 45s they'd give me 2 new S&W 38s or ammo depending on what I needed.

I'd hold the 45s for a week and if someone wanted theirs back I'd sell them the S&W 38 for what the gun shop sold them for. But to be honest after 5yrs of doing that only about 10 ever wanted them back.

I have always and will always preach that anyone carrying a firearm daily needs to shoot it at least 500 rds before carrying it and then at least every few months to insure it & you are working properly.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The irony is that if we are going to boycott entities that ban firearms we need to start with the NRA. I have taken numerous NRA courses and at the beginning of each class the post a sign that says no guns or ammo allowed.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeb21
    The irony is that if we are going to boycott entities that ban firearms we need to start with the NRA. I have taken numerous NRA courses and at the beginning of each class the post a sign that says no guns or ammo allowed

I've actually questioned that, And was told that their insurance coverage made them do that because they don't usually own the property they are training on.

Also as a former instructor I like the idea of actually knowing the firearms in the class have been secured by me before class. There will always be one idiot that will pull out his own firearm and try some of the exercises being demonstrated with his own fully loaded firearm while not being supervised. It only takes one fuckup to ruin things. NRA has to cover their own asses.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No I understand the reasoning completely, but I find it ironic that the NRA sends me messages saying boycott this store because they don't allow guns when the NRA does not allow guns at their events. Other stores have insurance and requirements that they have to follow as well. I don't allow my students to bring guns into the classroom either.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep great step in the right direction. I do carry owb but concealed of course and have good situational awareness but if you guys start open carrying will you use a different holster for more retention so someone doesn't come behind you and grab it?

Are a lot of open carriers in the many states that allow OC having their guns grabbed from behind?

Top Bottom