• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the way things are currently going in Washington has anyone considered putting their non-NFA guns into a gun trust? Typically only NFA items are put into a trust so that other trustees can use and hold onto them as well as offering other benefits. With new legislation trying to be passed it looks as if other types of firearms and possibly magazines could benefit from the protection that a trust gives. I just want to be sure that my family can use and inherit my firearms in the future.

Thoughts?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It is just some paperwork. I would not publicly file all my firearms/sns/etc if I still owned them.

If you want to do that why not an LLC?

Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind of protections do you think a trust will provide?

Primarily legislature that might restrict transfer of certain firearms. If the trust is the entity that owns the guns, then the guns should be able to be transferred to any trustee...in a theory. To my understanding that’s how it works with NFA items.

Do gun trusts need to be filed with the county clerk? That could be a problem. I know some kinds do.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Primarily legislature that might restrict transfer of certain firearms. If the trust is the entity that owns the guns, then the guns should be able to be transferred to any trustee...in a theory. To my understanding that’s how it works with NFA items.

Do gun trusts need to be filed with the county clerk? That could be a problem. I know some kinds do.

NFA items REQUIRE an "owner" on paper, to go with the background checks and tax stamp transfer process.

Firearms and ammo and accessories do NOT require ANY paperwork to prove ownership.

To put on paper that the McTrustyPants Trust "owns" the serial numbered firearms and 20 PMags (what, "black 30-rounders", or are you going to engrave each one?) and 1000-rounds of steel case shitammo (again, do you have to engrave each piece of steel?), you are merely making the paperwork easier for the SOBs who would deprive your house of those items.

"Oh yes, we see that McTrustPants Trust owns these items, and not you. Wonderful. Then McTrustyPants Trust will be surrendering everything on this list, thank you. Oh, does McTrustyPants Trust own this house, too? No? You do? What? No, we aren't after the house, but, well, see, that's a problem because then that makes YOU an accessory to McTrustyPants Trusts by storing these items. You will be coming with us, too. Turn around and place your hands on your head..."

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm afraid there will be many, many problems in our future concerning individual rights. In the future, even your children can and will be pressed for intel concerning whats in their home....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NFA items REQUIRE an "owner" on paper, to go with the background checks and tax stamp transfer process.

Firearms and ammo and accessories do NOT require ANY paperwork to prove ownership.

To put on paper that the McTrustyPants Trust "owns" the serial numbered firearms and 20 PMags (what, "black 30-rounders", or are you going to engrave each one?) and 1000-rounds of steel case shitammo (again, do you have to engrave each piece of steel?), you are merely making the paperwork easier for the SOBs who would deprive your house of those items.

"Oh yes, we see that McTrustPants Trust owns these items, and not you. Wonderful. Then McTrustyPants Trust will be surrendering everything on this list, thank you. Oh, does McTrustyPants Trust own this house, too? No? You do? What? No, we aren't after the house, but, well, see, that's a problem because then that makes YOU an accessory to McTrustyPants Trusts by storing these items. You will be coming with us, too. Turn around and place your hands on your head..."
    I think the OP was thinking that Biden would put semiauto rifles on the NFA list and so pretrusting them would help. But they also to be listed by the ATF as such. Maybe if you cut off the barrel ends of your shoulder arms and put obvious stocks on your pistols you can for some money register them as NFA and buy the tax stamp.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's my understand a common firearms Trust for NFA Items only provides joint/multiple ownership and usage of those items. Nothing about a Trust protects those items from a Ban or confiscation if a new Law says so. You can walk around some laws you expect to come into effect like doing NFA Registration of a Braced Pistol to SBR. If they ban all braced pistols, you newly NFA Registered SBR is no longer in the banned Classification. And you might as well put a proper butt stock on it since your now playing under NFA Rules.

In Shithole locations that restrict ownership to FOID type Card holders, a Trust should(?) allow others to get their own FOID Card for the Items but not eliminate the requirement to have a FOID card "for ownership". FOID requirements are additional requirements beyond those mandated by the Feds.

You can't have a NFA Trust in a location that bans ownership of those NFA items. It doesn't shield Items or Trustees from existing or future BANS. If a Gun Trust was established and listed non NFA items, there is no need for NFA markings, storage location identification or notification prior to transport across State Lines: NFA Rules only apply to NFA Stuff.

"If" bans/restrictions have "Grandfathering" Clauses, the scope of that Clause is critical. If it only allows continued possession/use by the current owner with no provision for continued ownership by family through the Estate process: then a Gun Trust would expand that lawful ownership until the last Trustee died. I have no false hope in Law Grandfathering provisions as they too can be eliminated with the stroke of a pen. We saw this happen in CA.!

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm afraid there will be many, many problems in our future concerning individual rights. In the future, even your children can and will be pressed for intel concerning whats in their home....
    They already are at the doctor's office. They ask the kids if theres any firearms in the home

Top Bottom