• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went up to the lease on Friday and sat all morning without a trace of wildlife. Decided to move spots for the afternoon sit and climb a pine tree about 40 feet up in the air to give me a good vantage point over a large area of small pines that had trails running all through them. The wind was blowing like crazy too. Right about 5pm I had three hogs come running through at lightning speed. With the wind blowing my tree and them moving I knew it was going to be a tough shot. First shot missed. They scatter and one runs right at me. I connect with the second shot. It flopped around and eventually laid still. Congratulated myself and then all of a sudden that sucker got up and started running again. Put another one in it and it started flopping right under the tree. Put another one in it's head for good measure. Tough critters!!!! This one was about 130 lbs.

ForumRunner_20140214_182050 (1).jpg

Got back out there Sunday and had a whole sounder come in on me. Ended up shooting a BIG sow and she ran off. The small ones didn't know what the heck to do so they stuck around and started eating again. So I popped a little 40 pounder. Ended up never finding any dang blood for the big sow. I think I hit the shoulder and we know how tough those shoulders are. Only head shots from now on.

ForumRunner_20140217_143021.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140214_182050 (1).jpg
      ForumRunner_20140214_182050 (1).jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 168
    • ForumRunner_20140217_143021.jpg
      ForumRunner_20140217_143021.jpg
      117.3 KB · Views: 166

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good going! If you hit the sows shoulder it should have taken her down, Sows don't have a shield like boars do. What are you shooting?

180gr 30-06 rounds. It's put every animal down that I've ever shot them at. But this is my first year after hogs though. I looked and looked and I had one tiny drop of blood about 10 feet away from where I shot her. Did a grid search and everything. Never another sign of her. I was disappointed that I couldn't find her.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well that should have done it, no problem. You just never know, I never intentionally shoot for the shoulder but w that round if it hit good there is no reason she is not dead

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well that should have done it, no problem. You just never know, I never intentionally shoot for the shoulder but w that round if it hit good there is no reason she is not dead

I know. Just had no blood to go off of. I saw which way she went and could hear her for another bit in that direction. But after a long search and no sign of blood, I can just hope that I screwed the pooch on the shot and plain out missed or skinned her. Not likely, but I'll check my cameras and maybe, I'll see her again. I'm going to start doing head shots when possible on these suckers.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah, between the ear and shoulder in a slight downward angle, they never move. Tough to get them to cooperate sometimes.

Attachments

• neck_shot.jpg
      neck_shot.jpg
      20.7 KB · Views: 129
    Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I wanna go hog hunting. Never been and I have no intention of trying it alone without someone to teach me but next Fall I want to experience it.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, that part I know, just thinking about my schedule. Id like to go even if I don't carry a rifle, just as an observer. Never really hunted before. I won't do anything stupid and I'll be quiet, just want to watch. And learn.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Frank, I may take you up in the tour. I'll pass on the pellet gun. Id rather be unarmed than "short armed". I can at least run and climb trees faster unencumbered with a totally useless piece of metal.:shocked:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bag limit of 12 per day. On a serious note, many people don't know there's a season, let alone that anyone would eat "tree rats" (their term). I call them "limb chickens". Yum Yum

Oh, Frank, I've now ordered a Bison 6.8 16" upper with a 13" railed hand guard so I'll have plenty of room to attach night vision/thermal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom