• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was up til midnight reading, back at it here this morning....just finished chapter 8, I'm loving this book.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So...I'm getting more and more paranoid about this as I read...
    So much to do! :p

No kidding! I was really in the dark about this EMP shit.....I had pretty horrible dreams last night, was out of needed medicine and no toilet paper! Lol...

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just about to finish with chapter six. I have the feeling that by the end of the book I will have most of my home wrapped in aluminum foil...

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just about to finish with chapter six. I have the feeling that by the end of the book I will have most of my home wrapped in aluminum foil...

How I feel future book discussions will go....

joaquin-phoenix-signs.jpg

Attachments

• joaquin-phoenix-signs.jpg
      joaquin-phoenix-signs.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 154

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed, that ... Also Clay and I decided that we are going to drive 5HP go carts to work from now on.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like your 10hp 'fortified' version..... First stop, welding shop to get a cutting torch, need get your damn guns out of that safe!

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picking up my copy today. Pretty sad to say that this is the first book im gonna read since about 05, or whenever The Secret came out haha. Never even been to a Barnes and Noble., do they use the Dewey Decimal system still?

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picking up my copy today. Pretty sad to say that this is the first book im gonna read since about 05, or whenever The Secret came out haha. Never even been to a Barnes and Noble., do they use the Dewey Decimal system still?

You won't put this book down, only to run to ammo or booze store......and work, of course....

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm almost done with chapter 9 and haven't read anything on this, are you done or doing your due dilligence? I Googled it, making one soon!
    I haven't finished. I want to stay current with discussions since I tend to forget details. :p However, I have known about Faraday cages and reading the book makes think think I need to make one sooner rather than later... :peep:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't finished. I want to stay current with discussions since I tend to forget details. :p However, I have known about Faraday cages and reading the book makes think think I need to make one sooner rather than later... :peep:

I'd welcome any questions to pose to the group for the first 4 chapters, nobody has forwarded anything yet. I'm thinking this is my first read through, gonna have to reread this aa few times to absorb the horror;) I had no idea about the cages, thx for heads-up

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got my copy shhhhhhhhhh...

Oh and i seem to recall you can use a microwave for Faraday Cage. Not sure if its true or not..

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh and if u havent already check out survivalistboards.com. A lot of good stuff for the tinfoi hat wearer in you... a lot of bs as well you have to pick through..

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From my brief reading, a microwave is a reverse faraday cage, keeps it in rather than out though. I guess that might work?

joningb

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have trouble finding the book, or don't want to buy it, check the public library. Read it a few years ago, got it from the Gulf Breeze Library on Shoreline Dr. Don't know how they work in Escambia county, but in Santa Rosa, if it's in the system, you can reserve it, and have it sent to your library from any of the others when its available. I don't plan on reading it again, but I was impressed / moved by the book. Even asked my wife and son to read it, and they thought it was very thought provoking.

joningb

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I look forward to seeing thoughts / comments on One Second After, and have a suggestion for the next book - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. From what I understand, its a three part book, and the first 2 parts have been made into a couple of movies. I've seen the first movie, and have begun reading the book. I'll wait if it looks like something others would want to read next.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fell asleep early last night so didn't finish chapter four. I'll have it done before I head to work.

Guess it's best to not discuss specifics at this point, at least not until more people get their copies and get caught up.

First impressions:

I've been a huge fan of reading all of my life, especially tech thrillers, military related topics and such. There are plenty out there with this basic "aftermath" scenario so probably won't be a lot of surprises. The author's style is OK, not the best but certainly not the worst. I'm sure the book will get better as it goes along. First few chapters of any novel usually start off a little dry as characters are developed and the scenario lays out.

In any disaster of this magnitude the same considerations will come up so it is a good read for that reason. Everyone should at least think through these ramifications and do very basic prep at minimum. Of course here on the coast many of us already have that mind set.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom