• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Guys,
    I'm looking for a new flash suppressor for a .556 AR. I have a standard A2 on it now, but it has a pretty big flash during night shooting.
    Let me know your opinions on what is the best bang for the buck on flash suppressors. I don't need a compensator, so that does not need to be figured in.
    Thanks, as always.
    Gio

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting.
    I had been leaning towards a YHM Phantom, but not sure how much better it would be then the A2. But for $24, I may try it anyway. It certainly changed my mind about going with an expensive one.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Theres a reason A2s come on almost every AR you see, they are cheap and they work pretty good. If you just want to minimize flash the best one I have ever used is a vortex. They are usually $75 or less and they really do work, shooting at night really makes a difference almost completely eliminating muzzle flash and takes the concussion off your ears. Only drawback besides the cost is the added length and weight, which never bothered me, but if you spend any time in the swamp or out in the woods vines and tree limbs get hung up in the prongs.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Theres a reason A2s come on almost every AR you see, they are cheap and they work pretty good. If you just want to minimize flash the best one I have ever used is a vortex. They are usually $75 or less and they really do work, shooting at night really makes a difference almost completely eliminating muzzle flash and takes the concussion off your ears. Only drawback besides the cost is the added length and weight, which never bothered me, but if you spend any time in the swamp or out in the woods vines and tree limbs get hung up in the prongs.
    Interesting.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never noticed any ringing, I think mine was made by smith it had 4 helical prongs that were all cut at opposite angles and seem to really tame the muzzle blast/flash. The aac is a strait cut 3 prong but Ive never used one before but it probably works about the same. It looks kind of like the original duckbill on the M-16 but they went to the A2 hider because of it catching vegitation and kicking up dust. I would recommend the smith, I saw on midway that they should be back in stock next week and they were like $46

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah theyre pretty long but a lot easier on the ears, the only break Ive ever cared for was a AK-74 style. I had an old olympic arms that had a break built into the barrel, it had 3 big openings down both sides and some smaller ones on the top and the concussion would make your ears ring even with hearing protection on, you had to hold your mouth open when you shot it or you could feel the pressure wave in your nasal cavity.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brakes are a acquired taste and of course every muzzle device has trade offs. My favorite brake that I've shot is the Surefire 556K. Its a flat shooter with mild concussion to the shooter, but woe to whoever is standing to the side. I would never want to use that brake indoors either. Who needs flashbangs when you have muzzle brakes.
    My Battlecomp rattles my teeth and does too good of a job by putting too much downward force on the barrel.
    One brake I want to try is the BCM comp, although I kinda suspect that its just a expensive A2.
    I've always wanted to try a brake just for fun on my 11.5 SBR. Of course I'll probably get the firing line all to myself after a few shots.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the A2 and Battlecomp. I don't find the noise signature much different between the A2 and BC. Breaks I can't deal with, but do use an AAC Brakeout on my 12.5 MRP piston primarily just to add an extra blast shield for the suppressor.
    Like Gravity said, they all have tradeoffs.

Top Bottom