• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am thinking about getting into Reloading...I have read and watched as much as I can on the internet. Now I want to get my first manual and everything points to Lyman 49th edition. Is this manual a good first book to read and understand reloading or is there another out there that is better now? I am probably going to do handgun loads first, 9mm and 40 cal bullets. I then want to move on to 5.56/223 and 300 blackout later on. I want to get a good manual first before I invest money on a single stage press.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    That manual (Lyman 49) was the first one I got - I read it before my first reload - I still use it. I also like the manuals that are specific to bullet manufacturers as well. Can't have too many manuals.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah TennJeep...I saw that but since that was a 2014 post...didn't know if that was still the go to for a first timer. The first thing that I did was search this site for some initial answers and then went out to other forums...

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a slacker. I have been reloading for 3 years now and still haven't got a book. I have used the powder and bullet manufacturers websites.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think they've come out with the Lyman 50th now, but I've never seen it, so the 49th is the safe bet as far as my recommendation.

Reloading manuals change very little with each new edition, typically only to update a new powder or two.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I started out with the Lee reloading manual first, then the Lyman. Also take a look at a book titled " A, B, C's of reloading" Good luck, welcome to the reloading club...

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get the Lyman, they just released a new one. Also look for Handloader magazine, very good information in every issue. You can also contact component manufacturers for data. And be careful where you get your information from.

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My local gun range offers a reloading class from time to time. The class lasted a couple of hours and included hands-on experience for the students, limited to a hand-full of people. The cost was reasonable too. It was VERY informative and was an especially good place to learn about the different kinds of presses so that you can buy something suitable the first time. The instructor also had a stack of books to show us and he told us why he liked certain ones. Check around and see if there's a class in your area.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may have an older Lyman you can have. Ill look in the morning. Its packed up in all the yard sale stuff.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    ok...I just pulled the trigger for the Lyman's 50th edition of their reloading book...found out a buddy of mine, his dad use to reload, and offered to lend me the 49th edition. I will be on the look out for other books on the subject. I kinda figure that it was either learning how to reload or get into the black hole of suppressors....thanks for everyone's input by the way. I have a lot of reading to do on the subject before I get my first press.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lyman 49 & 50, the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd edition and a subscription to Handloader is a good place to start. I also collect as many powder / load data publications from manufacturers as possible including a lot of older ones that are consider obsolete (they provide a wealth of insight into how powder has changed, how firearms have improvedand other info). Different bullet manufacturers will provide load data for their specific wares, either in print form or over the phone if you ask nicely.

Main thing is read everything, don't assume anything and always err on the side of caution.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    After you get the very basics from the manuals ..... now you know enough to ask the right questions ..... now the absolute best you could do is sit down next to someone at their reloading bench and let them teach you the process at a slow pace.
    By doing this you will learn what equipment you need,what equipment is best or right for you,and the sequence of events in the complete process. Many of these things are not learned from a book. They are learned from another hand loader or by trial and error. ---SAWMAN

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sage advice given above!

Go slow, measure 2 & 3 times, and don't load up a boat load at first! When first venturing into reloading, I was given a load from an experienced fellow that worked with his gun, matched up well with loading manuals.... But it didn't work in my gun (too light)! Had to pull down about 80 rounds, not fun, not fun at all.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just recently got into reloading myself...read Hornady reloading manual, twice. My Lee turret press package came with another book. The dies for my press came with some tables and the internet offered Western Powders load data as my main powder is Accurate #5. I watched much you tube as well.

I think the first day I set several hours aside to set my press up. I followed the instructions, but having watched many you tube videos helped me translate the directions very well. I was very, very cautious that day and I would expect you to be so as well...just the newness and the realization that you are handling explosives makes one wary if you are not over-confident! As was already mentioned, I found some load data to be different...as much as 20%.

Despite my preparation, I made a couple of rookie errors, but caught them. I seated my bullets too deep, my decapping die pin backed out because the retainer nut wasnt tight enough, I accidentally spilled primers as my tray was upside down, didn't fully seat a primer (don't reseat a primer with powder in the case)...etc etc... I think setting up the die was probably the most challenging but with patience, calipers, and a digital scale all went well. 1500 rounds and three calibers later, things are more smooth. I load in my garage and am by myself, no beer until after i'm done and if I get tired or stiff from leaning over the press, i take a break. Also, every time I stop...I stop on a fully loaded round. When I start again, I measure my powder charge just because it makes me feel better. Probably the biggest thing I watch for is sometimes my primer does not get decapped, and it takes a little pressure to seat a primer so you will need to pay attention for a primers seating that doesnt feel right. Being able to see your powder charge in the case is helpful if your lighting and seating position can accomodate.

I did not have the luxary of watching a buddy load or to get some direction but there is enough info, video and help on forums like this one, you can load safely. I have never loaded shouldered cases and there is more to that. Take the plunge...I can buy 9mm 124gr CP ammo in bulk for about $.20-.22 /round and I can load them for about .15-.16/round if I own the brass, which I do. I enjoy tinkering with my hobby mainly but I can say having ammo boxes of loose .45, .40, and 9mm sitting around really lends itself to shooting more! Sometimes alot more! So I don't know that I save any money, but I do shoot more rounds for my dollar minus the intial investment and it is fun/fulfilling to shoot ammo you just loaded!

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I don't know that I save any money, but I do shoot more rounds for my dollar minus the intial investment and it is fun/fulfilling to shoot ammo you just loaded!

That's a big negative! It just lets you shoot more!

Also I recommend a digital scale, much easier to read, quicker, and less headache than a triple beam. But with that said, my Lee Classic kit came with a beam scale that is used time-to-time to verify the digital is correct. Frankford Arsenal is what I use, I think the same factory in China slaps a few other names on them, Bass Pro has the "RangeMaxx".

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    After you get the very basics from the manuals ..... now you know enough to ask the right questions ..... now the absolute best you could do is sit down next to someone at their reloading bench and let them teach you the process at a slow pace.
    By doing this you will learn what equipment you need,what equipment is best or right for you,and the sequence of events in the complete process. Many of these things are not learned from a book. They are learned from another hand loader or by trial and error. ---SAWMAN

That brings me to a question to anyone that

1) Has a working reloading bench
    2) Patience to teach
    3) Accepts beer as payment

to have a sit down and do a Reloading 101 class some odd weekend after I do my own research to help me out.

Signal25..any material that you have, I would greatly appreciate it.

Top Bottom