• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - American teenager Virginia Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on Saturday, holding her nerve against two Chinese Olympic champions to clinch the women's 10m air rifle event.

The 19-year-old American edged out China's Du Li, gold in Athens in 2004, with an Olympic-record score of 208. Defending Olympic champion Yi Siling, also of China, took the bronze medal.

Thrasher was awarded the first gold of the Games by International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach.

Competing in her first Olympics, Thrasher established an early lead after battling with the Russian shooter Daria Vdovina, who stumbled midway through the competition and finished fifth.

Congratulations Ms. Thrasher.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't watch/follow the Olympics but it is good to hear we struck gold in a shooting event...seems like the kind of thing the US should dominate in!

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Just read a Yahoo article on her gold medal and it stated she picked up the sport only 5 years ago during a family hunting trip!!! WOW!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Very cool. I did something similar in high school, it's fun, but missing gunpowder so I don't know what the fuss with the liberals is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Actually all I can say is "Go Ginny!". I have made this young lady's acquaintance as she shoots for West Virginia University where my nephew has also shot for the last 4 years. She also took the NCAA Championship earlier this year which I attended. I have met her parents and her two older aunts. The aunts were a hoot sitting next to them during the match. They had me laughing so hard sometimes that I actually had tears in my eyes. A very nice family and if you follow the NCAA shooting matches the next 3 years you will hear her name a lot.

Idoono

Top Bottom