• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can get a Smith and Wesson Sport for around $550. I've never seen a bad review on one and I read a lot of them before buying mine.

I see they have come down in price. The last one I looked at was over $650. Seeing that AR prices continue to drop and barring any unfortunate incident, this seems to be a good time to buy an AR.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is absolutely the right time too buy. All the fear purchasing of firearms created a false bubble in the market. Now that everybody isn't buying so much and more then the said bubble collapsed. Honestly I look for prices to go even lower before it's all said and done.
    As for a budget AR, I understand were you are coming from OP, but here is my two cents. I would look online for a S&W MP. It's not much more than the gun you already posted with examples readily available for 550 dollars. It's a great rifle and wouldn't be that hard of a flip if you decide it isn't for you.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Buy a factory assembled complete upper for your first. All you need for the lower is a brass punch set, they're $20 IIRC.

Got a set of Roll pin punches and a set of brass punches the other day off of amazon for 35.00 total with free shipping. They seem of decent quality for the money i put out. Also if you are going to get into the whole building of AR's get the upper/lower vise blocks. They are golden.

And to think ive just been using just a piece of wood....

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I built my lower with nothing but a pair of plyers with tape on it so it wouldnt scratch it, a hammer, screwdriver, and a pocket knife. Redneck engineering and it all functions fine.
    The castle nut took alittle time to figure out how to get it tight without damaging it. Ended up using a flat head and a hammer to get it tight.

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That looked like a decent deal, but not quite sure who makes the rifle. DPMS makes a good entry level AR for not much more that the link you posted. Here is a link to a posting I did here on the GCGF not too long ago:

http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?23007-DPMS-Oracle-AR-15-5-56-ATACS-508-a-r-deguns-net

It has link to site plus a rebate also. Rebate is good till end of the year, no matter who you buy your rifle from. Dont forget about shipping and also FFL fees

Also Classic Firearms.com has similar deal on same rifle in black and less shipping

https://www.classicfirearms.com/dpmspantheroraclearrifle223

Good luck with finding a good deal and dont forget Black Friday sales coming up next week and also cyber Monday for online deals

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some of the absolute shittiest guns that I have ever seen were built by some "hack" in his garage,using shitty,discounted/discontinued,incompatible parts that "kinda" fit and functioned. These guns usually end up in three different colors also.

IMO,a <$600. FACTORY gun is a good deal as a starter gun. Shoot it,take it apart and deep clean it over and over. Get to know your gun. If you buy fairly low,you will be able to get a good portion of your money back from the gun after a period of time so you can move on to something "bigger and better". The knowledge and experience that you have gained will certainly help you eventually build your "dream gun". --- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I see they have come down in price. The last one I looked at was over $650. Seeing that AR prices continue to drop and barring any unfortunate incident, this seems to be a good time to buy an AR.

Yes, you just have to shop. You won't get that price around here on a Sport (I see where Gander Mt. has them for $679 on Black Friday) but several internet companies have them for around $550. Plus you save tax.
    I was in WalMart the other day and they wanted something like $1,150 for a Colt 6920. They can be had for less than $900 at several internet shops so WalMart isn't always the cheapest anymore. I think they changed their business plan.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a simple no frills AR I would look at buying a complete factory upper and building up a stripped lower. You can get a Palmetto State Armory premium M4 upper for around 350 and they have great reviews and all the desirable specs ( FNH made m4 contour barrel 4150 CMV chrome lined, MPI/HPT C158 Bolt with a M16 carrier, M4 feed ramps.) And then you could do a $50 Anderson lower and find a cheap build kit and have a complete aluminum lower for around $150. That's a $500 gun with parts that are of known quality and a factory assembled upper instead of a garage built upper that might be questionable quality or from a company that is selling uppers that you really have no idea who they are or if they are assembling them the correct way. That's just what I would do but whatever way you go this is the time to get into the game. Prices are at a all time low.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just saw this deal...

Dpms Panther Lo-pro Classic RFA2LPC 223rem 16" $479.99 + $29.99 ship to 32570; MIR of $50 from DPMS...final cost is right at $ 459.98

The deal here:
    https://www.preppergunshop.com/index.php/dpms-panther-lo-pro-clssc-223rem-16.html

The rebate here:
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/DPMS-Promotions_ep_211-1.html

UPDATE: Just noticed this model has no provision for dust cover and no shell deflector/forward assist. I still think its a great deal as the upper alone sells for $ 415 + ship at MidwayUSA...link below to check out the specs of the upper

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519542/dpms-ar-15-lo-pro-flat-top-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    If I go the build route and for starters, what y'all think about this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...m-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

It may be perfectly fine, but some of the PSA PTAC uppers have had some issues in recent past. This may be why they are selling them so cheap. I would recommend this one.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

It does not come with the BCG and CH, but you can always pick these up separately. You will spend about $125 for these in addition to the cost of the lower, but I think it will be well worth it in the long run.

PSA BCG
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15174/category/332/

PSA CH
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...harging-handles/ar15-m16-charging-handle.html

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm 100% sure PSA will have a good sale on Black Friday on either upper...shipping for an upper use to be $15 and expect to wait 2 weeks...

Top Bottom