• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Well, it all boils down to what you are looking for in an AR. Personally, I am not crazy about the railed gas block. I would prefer a standard front sight block. If I may ask, what would be its intended purpose? Do you plan on adding an optic of some sort? Entry-level means different things to different people. Frankly, if you are looking for something very simple and cheap, that may fill the bill. You would still have to buy sights for it and/or an optic? You would need additional magazines and ammo. Prices on ARs and ammo have come down substantially over the past couple years. When buying an AR from an unknown maker, it can be a real crapshoot. Sometimes they work out well. Other times, not so. I have posted a few pics below to get an idea of which direction you are leaning towards.

Are you looking for something like this?

or this?

or are you looking for something all together different like this?

or this?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can build one at Fatboytactical.net around $550 shipped. That is where I ordered all my parts from.

Just did a little adding up:
    Striped lower $37.99
    Magpul stock, buffer tube, buffer tube asembly, and trigger assembly $139.99

Upper:
    Reciever,BCG,Charging Handle $170.00
    16" 1:9 Nitride barrel $99.00 (I have one in 1:7 abd it is more accurate than me)
    Gas tube $12.95
    A2 Flash Hider $7.99
    BTE Rail Height Gas Block $34.99
    Magpul MOE handguard $23.69
    Shipping is $10.00
    Equals $536.60

Now of course you still have to get sights for it.

Now the one I built I love. Runs great haven't had a single malfunction but I have only ran PMC and Wolf brass. Haven't tried steel yet to see if it would cycle it.

They also have a complete upper for $369.00
    16" M4 NATO Chrome Moly Nitride Processed
    Chamber - 5.56MM
    Barrel Twist - 1:7
    Barrel Thread - 1/2 x 28
    Barrel Steel - Chrome Moly, Nitride Processed
    Flash Hider - A2
    Handguard - Quad Rail 2 Piece Handguards (so you can add Tacticool stuff)
    Gas Block - Sight Tower
    Upper Receiver - M4 Flat-Top Upper
    Bolt Carrier Group - Milspec Bolt/Carrier Assy
    Charging Handle - Included
    Warranty: 1 year warranty against manufacturer defect.

Then just build the lower which would be about $177.98

and get a magpul rear flip up sight 35.95

There you go a full AR for $593.93 shipped

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You can build a decent Psa for about $600. That's about as low as you can go and get a decent quality rifle. Avoid the polymer lowers like the plague. JMO.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look for my Budget AR15 thread.. I built a solid AR for $508. With Black Friday right around the corner I think I could do one for $400.

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a S&W M&P on Farcebook Pensacola gun and outdoor trader in gulf breeze new never loaded for 700.00

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Farcebook, I like that! It's so good because it's so true. I might have to borrow that one.

ARs, if you're looking for accuracy, go DSA, if you're not, go M&P or DPMS.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FYI. If you build one, you will build more.. It has got me, I built my first now I have another complete lower and 2 stripped waiting to be built. Uppers will be coming soon.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know if this helps, but Classicfirearms. something sold me a "Bear Creek" chambered in .223 Wylde or something.... It's a flat top with a sight. I added a handle with sight for about 30 more dollars. So far, I've pumped about 70 round through it with no jams or problems. Its fun to shoot and with a scope, I was grouping around an inch at 50 yards. I'm not "blown away" by it, but it has a year warrenty, I think... Oh... it was $499 plus David's very reasonable transfer fee at TGD

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nothing wrong with it at all and at the right price, great for plinking, training, home defense. I just find the 556 useless to me as I hunt w them and want more juice like I get in the 6.8. Few of us will take this or any gun we buy into combat so go for it and save some $$

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Farcebook, I like that! It's so good because it's so true. I might have to borrow that one.

ARs, if you're looking for accuracy, go DSA, if you're not, go M&P or DPMS.

It said 700.00 out the door. Thinking it must be some place reputable?

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, it all boils down to what you are looking for in an AR. Personally, I am not crazy about the railed gas block. I would prefer a standard front sight block. If I may ask, what would be its intended purpose? Do you plan on adding an optic of some sort? Entry-level means different things to different people. Frankly, if you are looking for something very simple and cheap, that may fill the bill. You would still have to buy sights for it and/or an optic? You would need additional magazines and ammo. Prices on ARs and ammo have come down substantially over the past couple years. When buying an AR from an unknown maker, it can be a real crapshoot. Sometimes they work out well. Other times, not so. I have posted a few pics below to get an idea of which direction you are leaning towards.

^^ More like this ^^
    I'm considering an AR for fun, plinking, target shooting, etc. and possible SHTF scenario. I had a couple of AK's but now looking for something different and more customizable (if that's a word). And yes, I plan on adding my own optics. Mags and ammo can be acquired as deals (for now) present themselves.

BTW, my budget for the basic platform is no more than $500.

Last edited:

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just my opinion here.. but after building multiple AR platforms, I will always build before I buy for a couple of reasons...
    1: Right now you can get quality parts for decent prices
    2: When you build you get exactly what you want on the rifle (grip, trigger, sights, handguards etc..nothing to change out to make the rifle fit you)
    3: When you build you learn the how everything goes together, and how each part works, in case you need to replace or repair in the field.
    4: If you want a caliber other than 5.56 or a specific barrel length/twist its easy to figure that in during the build not stuck with whats in stock, or how the rifle comes configured (for instance 1 in 9 twist vs 1 in 7)
    5: You get to own a rifle you designed for lack of better terminology...
    So in conclusion can you grab a off the rack AR for 470 shipped + ffl transfer.. Yup.. can you have something a little more tailored to your specific needs for probably 50$ more.. and end up with probably a better quality rifle absolutely.
    In the end its your call but I like knowing each piece of the rifle I own / depend on for defense of myself, and family was picked out by me, and put in by me.
    .02 cents
    5:

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just to add about building your own. You need some tools. If you can't borrow it, then you have to buy it.

And another thing, if you build one, you will build another. Resistance is futile.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I only build my lowers for now. I need more equipment to get the uppers together.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Buy a factory assembled complete upper for your first. All you need for the lower is a brass punch set, they're $20 IIRC.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind you get what you pay for....Cheep = low quality, poor performance and a disaster waiting to happen... Just something to keep in mind.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You can get a Smith and Wesson Sport for around $550. I've never seen a bad review on one and I read a lot of them before buying mine.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are cheap rifles and there are budget rifles. I've seen people shoot crappy with expensive guns. Most of the time the shooter needs the most help, not the rifle.

Top Bottom