• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How do you like Mediacom? We live in Milton and had them a few years ago and they just sucked and been with DSL since. DSL works and never have an outage but I know cable is alot faster.

I never had a problem with Mediacom. At least not in the last 5 years. I get pretty good speeds and reliability has been excellent. I think they have really upgraded their system. The advertised 25mb/s was really around 16 which was plenty fast enough for streaming. YMMV depending upon how many of your neighbors are sharing the same node. I do notice that in the evening between 6-9 the speed will slow down as measured at speedtest.net but not enough that you would notice otherwise. Customer service's attitude still sucks though but that's probably the case with all of them.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For those of you that have installed outdoor HDTV antennas which antenna did you go with and how many channels are you getting? I'm currently researching a outdoor HDTV antenna and would like to hear from those who have already made the leap. My wife has said do it so my first step is getting an outdoor antenna and testing it on my son's TV.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Another question for those of you who have made the switch. I use the guide on Cox cable to look up what I'm going to watch and record. If you get an HDTV antenna is there a way to view a guide for what's on the different channels you get and when a certain show is going to air?

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Viking, I'll read those links tonight.

I will say this about the digital antennas. I wish I hadn't bought the expensive indoor antenna for downstairs. The cheap one works great upstairs but it's got a clear shot to the towers. The downstairs, of course, is lower to the ground plus it has to see through the house. I'm going to buy an outdoor digital and mount it on my chimney, run the coax down and through the wall.

What I'm saying is that the indoor antennas work fine if you are in the right location but I'm guessing that for a single story house around here an outdoor antenna mounted high is going to be a much safer bet.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with this antenna: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2440

I live near Whiting Field and the antenna farm for most the major networks is right at 60 miles away. I have the antenna mounted on a 20' mast and I'm able to get all the major networks on UHF channels. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, but _NOT_ FOX. The VHF portion of this antenna is not sufficient to bring in a reliable signal from channel 10 since it's further away and has less transmitted power. I had to put my old VHF antenna back up with a signal amplifier on the pole. So now I have both antennas on the mast and the signal amp combines and amplifies both of them although it was not needed for UHF.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R...=1428347036&sr=1-6&keywords=antenna+amplifier

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks guys for the additional information. Yes, I have a one story house but it's lifted 5' off the ground so I'm thinking if I can get a good uni-directional antenna for the roof I'll be able to get a lot of good channels. Dave I'm willing to spend a little more on an antenna so I appreciate the input on that antenna's insufficient VHF reception, I definitely want to be able to get Fox 10. If all goes we'll I'll have my antenna picked out this week and hopefully can order it when I get paid this Friday.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dave I'm willing to spend a little more on an antenna so I appreciate the input on that antenna's insufficient VHF reception, I definitely want to be able to get Fox 10.

Yep, better to buy more than you think you will need.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any of you guys have TIVO Roamio? Looks like a pretty good deal, gives you a 4 head dvr with the ability to record your OTA broadcasts and through it you can also access Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, etc. Cost $50 to buy and $15 a month. Seems reasonable to have access to your local broadcasts and online content with one device!

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any of you guys have TIVO Roamio? Looks like a pretty good deal, gives you a 4 head dvr with the ability to record your OTA broadcasts and through it you can also access Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, etc. Cost $50 to buy and $15 a month. Seems reasonable to have access to your local broadcasts and online content with one device!

I've got 2 TIVO's but neither is the Roamio, but we love them. One of the DVR's I've had for over 3 years and TIVO gave me a lifetime subscription to that one. I don't know if that is the deal all the time or if they did that because I was thinking of cancelling after getting a cable DVR in the past. The other we pay 12.99 a month for. The remotes are very intuitive and of course what you are really paying for monthly is the guide which is great. Very easy to create new recordings and very easy to skip commercials.

TitanTV.com has listings for our area for cable, satellite, and OTA

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update:

Stormay05 came over today and among other things he mounted my outside HD antenna up on top of my chimney (2 stories up) and got the coax hidden and run well. I rescanned the channels. Picked up a couple more and stopped the pixilating on a couple. The whole changeover is finalized now as far as I'm concerned.

100% happy. $100 a month richer. Positive move for me. I'm digging on movies, documentaries, TV shows from the past and the best thing: Fantastic music choices, that's important to me. My enjoyment when I'm at home has gone up immensely. As soon as I walk in, I crank up whatever I'm in the mood for.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dish Network just went up from $72 a month to $112 a month so they are getting the boot, I just can't decide if I want to go to Direct or cut the cord all together. The big question I have is how do you watch The Walking Dead without cable or satellite?

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We had Direct tv for 10 years and AT&T for home phone and Wifi but a few months back they decided to go up on our bill as well so we dropped Direct and AT&T and went with Mediacom for phone cable and wifi alot cheaper and just one bill. Life is good.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dish Network just went up from $72 a month to $112 a month so they are getting the boot, I just can't decide if I want to go to Direct or cut the cord all together. The big question I have is how do you watch The Walking Dead without cable or satellite?

Call dish and they'll drop your bill back down, at least some. I have to do that about every 6 months. I think I'm going to cut back on most of my programming and just do a few alacarte channels that I want. I don't watch much of the outdoor and sportsmans channel anymore and that was the main reason for me getting the package that I did.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    awww Hell !!!
    centurylink DSL just went from 55 to 79.53 this month....wish I had another alternative :censored:

Latest posts

Top Bottom