• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You need to come over and check it out Farook. I'm not watching on my computer, I'm watching on my TVs. All your computer is for is a tuner and to select what to watch, the video is on the TV screen and audio through there or surround sound system. I do all of my computer stuff on my pad. once you select what you want to watch you can throw the phone, pad or device on the table and forget it. With my setup it's basically just communicating through your wifi or hard wired modem.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes Frank, with the exception of, if you say, watch the newest episode on cable of one of those shows tonight, it'll be on Hulu tomorrow night.

Ok, picture this. You turn on your TV to watch. Instead of going to the cable guide, you grab your phone or pad or PC, go to THAT guide, make a selection and it plays on the TV, NOT on the computer, phone or tablet. You won't know the difference with the exception that you can start, stop, pause, come back later. A little like using a DVR?

Cheaper than cable plus ........drum roll.......no commercials on most stuff. Even new shows on Hulu only run about one commercial per break and that's usually 10 seconds or so. A 30 minute V show runs about 20-23 minutes, an hour long show about 45.

Also, on Hulu or Netflix: Say you want to watch a TV series that you are new to. Go to that on the menu, select first episode, first season and let it go. It will automatically keep running episodes until you tell it to go to something else, you can always come back later and pick up where you left off if you want. Wife is doing it right now with Nashville, I just finished every single episode of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    so just a day late or another night if you will? just change the schedule but not the shows?
    ..I prefer the TV guide, phone is too small and tablet has not been out of its case in a month, I do have my notebook computer, I guess it does the same?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct Frank and yes, you can use a notebook. Any device like that. It's all in downloading a free app and having whatever system you choose. If you have an older TV you would buy a Chromecast unit ($35) or a Kindle Fire TV system (I think about $65) or a Roku (various systems from about $40 to $100) which does more than my Chromecast. If you buy a new "Smart" TV you don't need any of those systems and honestly, I've been shopping TVs and a smart version is just not that more expensive. The difference at BestBuy between a 32" dumb and smart TV of the same brand and basic model is only about $25 so kind of not worth it to save a nickle, especially since more things and services are going that way.

All of this is a lot simpler than it sounds. It's just a new way to choose your viewing options and as I mentioned from the beginning, my choices in what I want to watch just went up immeasurably and my total monthly expense is $80 LESS.

Edit: Frank , if you're worried about the physical size of the guide screen, that's controllable by you too or cast it onto the TV and look at it there.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is the best explanation yet...thanks Sean. I would need someone to come over, set it all up and teach how to use then coach when needed...but that is just me and being an old guy.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, if I can ever get over there (pretty sure I will at some point in the near future) I can easily grab one of my units (about half the size of a deck of cards or less), throw my tablet in the car, plug it into your TV and be up in less than a minute IF you have wifi at your house.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and Frank, if my ludite "I hate computers" wife can operate it in 10 minutes better than I can, I will assure you you won't need help after a fast run through. It's just not as difficult as it sounds with all my typing. You just have to wrap your head around the idea that TV is at your mercy, not the other way around, any time of day or night, just pick what you want and watch it. Want to see the Voice at 7:00 AM? Your call. Want to watch ever episode from the beginning? Anytime. Want to rematch that episode you liked two months ago? Watch it right now if you want.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good thread, informative too. I've had Cox for 11+ years but have considered going the Chromecast, Roku or Netflix route, but this flip phone guy has alot to learn.:redface:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Simple Ross. I don't even use my smart phone as a smart phone and this transition was seamless. Like I said, hard to explain, stupid easy to operate once you see it in action. All you gun guys that can rip an AR apart blindfolded and throw it back together are way past the technical curve for this stuff. You guys discussing grains, loads, calibers, yardage, scope sighting, barrel twist effect etc. are far past what it takes to figure this crap out.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seriously, Ray calls it. We're just not computer savvy like young guys and it's just the best thing going. I don't enjoy screwing with stuff like this. In fact, I held back precisely because I didn't want to sit through long sessions of studying and experimenting. I've had more difficulty trying to figure out that effing "customized seating, mirrors and steering wheel"presets in my truck than this stuff. Like insaid, you just gotta see it in action to get over the hesitancy to jump in. No regrets. NONE!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We cut the chord on cable tv in 09 or 10 and don't miss it at all. About once a year or so I switch us between a Hulu subscription and a Netflix subscription. We also have Amazon Prime and lately I've been watching some of my motorcycle documentaries that I like on youtube.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, youtube is another awesome service. And free. I was alone all day last Sunday for most of the day and night. I typed in Steely Dan and it played for 8 hours, never once playing the same track. Frigging amazing music experience,

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, youtube is another awesome service. And free. I was alone all day last Sunday for most of the day and night. I typed in Steely Dan and it played for 8 hours, never once playing the same track. Frigging amazing music experience,

Yep, my wife was visiting family in Greece for the last month so every evening I was able to throw motorcycle vids up on the TV. It was great.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Donr, I'm just now exploring youtube and it's amazing. I've used it in the past to watch music videos (live performances, I don't like the staged stuff) but it is astounding to see the millions of videos, tv shows and movies available.

I'll check out the motorcycle offerings tonight.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK, so I have centurylink for my internet carrier, you go on their .net and you can watch networks, sports and all kinds of stuff free. I have a 17" notebook and TVs in every room. If I want to watch on the computer that is easy, but I can toss to the TV and watch on a bigger screen. Now I can hardwire w HDMI or I can Bluetooth? If neither has BT can I get a USB BT dongle, plug into both and make them see each other? or is their an easier way?

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, I had to look up Centurylink. That's just your Internet provider correct? I mean, it doesn't offer anything other than access? I can't find much info and the website won't let me in unless I fill out a form to see if I'm eligible.

Or, does it also allow you to get channels like your cable TV?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Donr, I'm just now exploring youtube and it's amazing. I've used it in the past to watch music videos (live performances, I don't like the staged stuff) but it is astounding to see the millions of videos, tv shows and movies available.

I'll check out the motorcycle offerings tonight.

Yep, it's amazing what is out there for the asking. Until she was gone I hadn't really searched youtube much other than to find videos explaining how to do something like crown a barrel. After I started searching it is actually kind of overwhelming what is available.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom