• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My buddy in Kansas who competition coyote hunts is shooting a tikka .243 in an element chassis with N-vision thermal. He's killed dogs to 700yds with this set up. I haven't has much trigger time on it but it's a bad ass rig when I did use it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use 7mm08 and 204 Ruger.
    I don't take the 7mm08 explicitly for yotes, I take it for deer. But it's a great round for yotes that happen by.
    I do take the 204 Ruger when deer season is closed and exclusively used for yotes.
    It's a bad ass round. Flat and fast. I use the V-max Hornady rounds, they'll blow a big hole out the opposite side.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    6mm Creedmoor or if you wanted something really fast a 6 PRC, but you might need to find a donor action for either of those to stay in your price point.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started hunting yotes about 15 years ago at our deer lease in Alabama out of necessity because every time we turned the dogs out they got on a coyote. The first year it was my wife and I shooting our bolt gun deer rifles and another member shooting a Bushmaster AR. We killed everything we shot but so did the guy with Bushmaster and he doubled us. The next year all three of us were shooting ARs and we really beat the the brakes off those dogs. In my opinion, based on my own life experience, the AR 15 is the best coyote rifle ever made. With that being said I would rethink what your doing and go nightvision or thermal and start hunting them in the dark. It's a helluva lot cooler and more productive and they're way less skittish when the sun goes down. If you were already willing to spend $1700-$2000 on a new rig then spend that money on what you have and I think you'll be a lot more successful and satisfied.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I already have three of these. Just never used one on yotes. Was kinda looking at a bolt gun.
    So get a bolt gun in 223. It's the cartridge that is perfect for coyotes. I love my Rossi Wizard single shot 223. Super light weight, comes up fast and swings onto target fast. It came with a spare barrel for it in 20 gauge. Very convenient and lighter weight than carrying around a whole nother firearm. Something to think about

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-081040.png
      Screenshot_20220903-081040.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 35
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    With that being said I would rethink what your doing and go nightvision or thermal and start hunting them in the dark. It's a helluva lot cooler and more productive and they're way less skittish when the sun goes down. If you were already willing to spend $1700-$2000 on a new rig then spend that money on what you
    I second that. Hunt coyotes at night. Upgrade what you already have. Beware the man with only one rifle. He's probably really good with it ;)

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    So the next question is…..What glass to put on one of my AR 15 rifles?. Two just have iron sights and my third one has a Burris FastfireIII.
    Whatever brand glass you go with just make sure you get one that has a bullet drop compensator made for 55 grain 223

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    V-max Hornady rounds, they'll blow a big hole out the opposite side
    Yes sir! Polymer tips force the HP cone open on impact! Very impressive wound channels. Hornady proved that regular rifle caliber hollow points were traveling so fast that they weren't opening up the cone until almost all the way through the body. Polymer tips fixed that. Also Hornady proved with Doppler radar that their polymer tips were the only ones on the market that were not deforming from the heat at speed over extended distances
    Screenshot_20220903-080355.png

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    55gr hornady a-max! This is my budget rig. Works. 16inch DB AR. 1:9. Sightmark Wraith, ext battery pack. Evola rechargeable light. Works day or night.
    Adjustable stock is very useful, never know what kind of shooting position your going to be in or who may go with ya. Ymmv.
    20210715_171416.jpg
    SIMA0016 (1).jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom