• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice cars there FV! I've been to Sebring several times and it is a great racing spot. The big races use some of the airport runway. Sebring is also supposedly the poorest town in Florida. You sure can't tell it on race day. A lot of horsepower can be got out of the old Beetle engines. I saw one that supposedly put out 700 H.P. How do you guys set up the engine and tranny to work in your cars with the engine in front and the tranny behind it?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    700hp? That's a lot. I'd say 400 or so max and that's with a turbo. I'm not much of a vw guy but that number just doesn't add up

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice cars there FV! I've been to Sebring several times and it is a great racing spot. The big races use some of the airport runway. Sebring is also supposedly the poorest town in Florida. You sure can't tell it on race day. A lot of horsepower can be got out of the old Beetle engines. I saw one that supposedly put out 700 H.P. How do you guys set up the engine and tranny to work in your cars with the engine in front and the tranny behind it?
    Yes Sebring is a great track. We use the same course as the 12 hours including the old runways. Sometimes use the short course which cuts out the runways. Makes a shorter tight course that's lots of fun in these cars. I've driven on road courses from New Hampshire to Homestead, lots of great tracks around the country.

Pretty good that you asked about the gearbox with it being reversed, most people don't realize you would have 1 forward gear and 4 reverse. We take the diff gears out, reverse the ring and pinion to give 4 forward gears again.

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never heard of 700 hp from a VW but anything is possible. They get over 10,000 hp for funny cars and rails so I'm sure someone out there can get a vw to 700!

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    700hp? That's a lot. I'd say 400 or so max and that's with a turbo. I'm not much of a vw guy but that number just doesn't add up
    [/QUOTE]

Does this add up any better?

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    " Pretty good that you asked about the gearbox with it being reversed, most people don't realize you would have 1 forward gear and 4 reverse. We take the diff gears out, reverse the ring and pinion to give 4 forward gears again."

Is any machining required or it a simple swap around? I've looked at the trans-axle breakdown and can't really see how you do it. It obviously works pretty good!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is any machining required or it a simple swap around? I've looked at the trans-axle breakdown and can't really see how you do it. It obviously works pretty good!

I've never done that myself, have only bought the box set up already but have been told no machining required. You need to know what you're doing to set one up properly for road racing. Need to have low drag and be dependable. There are a few professional's around that do it plus several others that do their own or for people they know. The ones I've had have all been professional built.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never done that myself, have only bought the box set up already but have been told no machining required. You need to know what you're doing to set one up properly for road racing. Need to have low drag and be dependable. There are a few professional's around that do it plus several others that do their own or for people they know. The ones I've had have all been professional built.

I can see that. The Bug diffs require special tools and some experience to get right. I've never gone into one. I've had a few problems down through the years but got a pro shop to fix them. The engines are super simple though.

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Outside of guns I know we all have different interests and hobbies.
    I've always admired Corvettes and finally getting to a place where I feel comfortable owning one. I like sport cars in general but the C5 Z06 has always been held as my "affordable dream car" right or wrong. Anyone else in here have experience with these? Or similar. Maybe things to look for and stay away from?
    I looked at a '97 yesterday that was in rough shape but cheap, dragged my feet and missed out. Probably for the best. Thanks for the insight
    If your budget will allow, go for a c6 model. 2008 or later and you'll get an ls3 engine, instead of a ls2. Also other improvements as well. Z06 is a rush. But, if you're going to drive more than sundays and shows, I would get a z51. Z06 has all aluminum frame and no removable top. Z51 has handling improvements, oil cooler, trans cooler, and aluminum sub frames with steel in between. It has a removable top. I would also get a 6 speed manual. With no more clutch cars offered, it will be more desirable.I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide on. I have a 64 restomod and an 07 callaway(heavily modified).
    Be safe
    Outside of guns I know we all have different interests and hobbies.
    I've always admired Corvettes and finally getting to a place where I feel comfortable owning one. I like sport cars in general but the C5 Z06 has always been held as my "affordable dream car" right or wrong. Anyone else in here have experience with these? Or similar. Maybe things to look for and stay away from?
    I looked at a '97 yesterday that was in rough shape but cheap, dragged my feet and missed out. Probably for the best. Thanks for the insight

Attachments

• 20210221_103402.jpg
      20210221_103402.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 81
    • 20200101_140720.jpg
      20200101_140720.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 84

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone want to buy a 1931 model A Ford coupe. Lol
    Tell me about it. Or. Where do you have it advertised. I'm into street rods. I've owned 3/34 fords, 1/33 ford, 1/32 ford hemi power, and 6 nova's in the last 20 years. I just got interested in firearms again a couple of years ago.
    Be safe, phil

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a C7, best overall corvette to me... too much power for front engine config but just have to drive it accordingly.... you may have seen it at PF back when we drove to work, think Daniel in MS has a blue c5 he drives sometimes...I'm on the fence about c8 still.... novel but doesn't feel like a corvette anymore... If I buy another it will be a c2 not a c8... Pick the style that speaks to you and go with it... you wont be disappointed...

If my garage looked like this then my automotive need would be fully met..... with a hunting truck too of course.....

View attachment 109751
    I would sell one of my toys for a c1 vette.
    60 to 62. Earlier ones are even smaller.

Attachments

• 20191217_121049.jpg
      20191217_121049.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 81
    Top Bottom