• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CDC says wear a mask. CDC has got nothing to do with the Huffington Post Linked article nor an endorsement of the home grown "How to" masks in the article.

Take you T-shirt, bandana or other material you are considering to use for mask "filtering" material: hold it up and look at a good light source. All the light you see through the mask are openings for WuFlu to pass through. A N95 masks blocks 95% of very small (0.03 micron) test particles. masks also have a wire that you form over the bridge of the nose and depress on upper cheeks to act as a seal. The designs with pleats/fold are for are for expansion over nose/chin, not extra fiter layers.

You be the judge: placebo or better than nothing. Just don't think the CDC says it meets any "Standard".

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CDC says wear a mask. CDC has got nothing to do with the Huffington Post Linked article nor an endorsement of the home grown "How to" masks in the article.

Take you T-shirt, bandana or other material you are considering to use for mask "filtering" material: hold it up and look at a good light source. All the light you see through the mask are openings for WuFlu to pass through. A N95 masks blocks 95% of very small (0.03 micron) test particles. masks also have a wire that you form over the bridge of the nose and depress on upper cheeks to act as a seal. The designs with pleats/fold are for are for expansion over nose/chin, not extra fiter layers.

You be the judge: placebo or better than nothing. Just don't think the CDC says it meets any "Standard".
    You are not understanding at all. That is CDC infromation and their position on what to wear.

The CDC endorced homemade mask is not an N95 and it is not meant to protect the wearer from getting ill. Its purpose to prevent people that are infected, but that may not know it, from infecting others.
    Here is the the CDC link with much more detail on it. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
    The huffington material was extracted from the material posted by the CDC.
    Partial Screen shot
    1586741770947.png

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The CDC link in the HufPo article only references to "To help slow the spread". I did misunderstand, the CDC is term "spread" is vague: They don't mean for the "users protection" as I thought, they only mean to try and "contain the virus ON people wearing the home made masks".

A CDC change of position regarding mask use for the general public happened Friday. Problem is real masks are not available. So rather than have a #MASKMETOO movement, the CDC says just slap some crap together. CDC wants folks to make/use home made masks:
    1. Because there aren't enough N95s and medical personnel use is the priority.
    2. For use where social distancing is hard to maintain.
    3. They say:

"CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure."

See that use of "spread" again in #3! So it's really a weak attmpt to help keep the virus on the carriers and sick, not really to "protect the healthy". Hence, a layer of T-shirt will do. I have zero confidence in that methodology. It's a Public Service Placebo,
    IF HOMEMADE "MASKS" WON'T KEEP THE VIRUS OUT, IT SURE AS HELL WON'T KEEP IT IN : especially when a virus carrier coughs or sneezes.

Make and use home made masks if you want to. Just understand the level of protection your not getting and the other guy isn't containing.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan on wearing N95 masks or the equivalent. I do have them around and I need to find them all including a half mask respirator. The problem is that I do not have a ton of them.
    There is N95 or hepa material about in the form of filters for air systems and some people are figuring out ways to masks out them from what I was told today on a family ZOOM video conference.
    Two members of the family are MDs and one is a big shot in public health. Right now he is involved in trying to figure out a way of food distribution directly between farms and people in North Carolina.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The CDC link in the HufPo article only references to "To help slow the spread". I did misunderstand, the CDC is term "spread" is vague: They don't mean for the "users protection" as I thought, they only mean to try and "contain the virus ON people wearing the home made masks".

A CDC change of position regarding mask use for the general public happened Friday. Problem is real masks are not available. So rather than have a #MASKMETOO movement, the CDC says just slap some crap together. CDC wants folks to make/use home made masks:
    1. Because there aren't enough N95s and medical personnel use is the priority.
    2. For use where social distancing is hard to maintain.
    3. They say:

"CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure."

See that use of "spread" again in #3! So it's really a weak attmpt to help keep the virus on the carriers and sick, not really to "protect the healthy". Hence, a layer of T-shirt will do. I have zero confidence in that methodology. It's a Public Service Placebo,
    IF HOMEMADE "MASKS" WON'T KEEP THE VIRUS OUT, IT SURE AS HELL WON'T KEEP IT IN : especially when a virus carrier coughs or sneezes.

Make and use home made masks if you want to. Just understand the level of protection your not getting and the other guy isn't containing.
    When people cough or talk with force they can propel droplets. It would seem that such masks 'help' contain the propelled droplets. Obviously not 100% efficient . The general goal is to change the transmission of this disease from 4 relative to transmission to under 1. These masks should help. Basically a lot better than nothing and I hope industry catches up and starts making more masks.
    I plan on wearing N95 masks myself.
    Sort of like carrying a .32 auto vs a 9x19 for self defense.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure, but it's better than nothing. I use a fishing neck gaiter. I use a blue paper towel, the one's used while working in/on greasy things (auto's), they're way thicker than kitchen paper towels. Walmart has them in the automotive section.
    Anyway, I fold the 1 paper towel in half, put it in the neck gaiter, then fold the gaiter in thirds. The gaiter has some elasticity and holds well over your nose and mouth. Also. No sunlight when you try to look thru it. If there is, you did something wrong.
    When I get home, I spray it down with lysol spray and let it dry.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    From NBC.com

Confirmed cases in U.S. : 551,880
    Confirmed Deaths in U.S. : 21,737

As of April 12, more than 500,000 cases have been confirmed in the U.S., based on NBC News reporting. There have been more than 20,000 deaths.

This map will be updated as more cases in the U.S. are confirmed. Note that cases in the U.S. are increasing due to improving in testing capabilities as well as more people catching the disease. If you're looking for information on where to find coronavirus tests in your state, NBC News has compiled that information here.
    Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure, but it's better than nothing. I use a fishing neck gaiter. I use a blue paper towel, the one's used while working in/on greasy things (auto's), they're way thicker than kitchen paper towels. Walmart has them in the automotive section.
    Anyway, I fold the 1 paper towel in half, put it in the neck gaiter, then fold the gaiter in thirds. The gaiter has some elasticity and holds well over your nose and mouth. Also. No sunlight when you try to look thru it. If there is, you did something wrong.
    I like how you were decontaminating it and will try it out with my face masks. Other than to go shooting I have not been off my property in a wk. I do need to go out and shop and also make a trip to the landfill.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Those blue shop towels are said to be some of the best alternatives available too. I like this.

I used this as an excuse to order one of those tacticool shemagh things early in the news cycle. Mostly because they seem versatile. Made sure to get one with Stars and Stripes so as not to be mistaken for anything more kooky than I am. Lol. Hoping it will be nice on the kayak/ bike more so than for the Rona...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If u r old like me and/or have pretty serious health issues, then u should be. But media not telling u that a lot of healthy young people getting it and have either no symptoms or very mild.
    This thing is no joke but media gets views bu hyping everything up to the extreme.
    Healthy young guy (sailor) from the USS Roosevelt just died from kungFlu.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes, younger adults without underlying conditions that affect the immune system have a lower rate than older adults with conditions.
    The combined rate all together in the states is about 4%. With some caveats.

first, we don’t actually know how many cases of the virus we have in our country since we can’t do wide spread testing. I know of two people personally who had low grade fever and aches, the dr said it was a viral infection, they tested negative for the flu but were not tested for covid since they weren’t being admitted into a hospital. So we have about a 4% mortality rate for people with acute and severe symptoms. At least half the cases are believed to be asymptomatic.

second, the conditions that increase risk(including diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity etc) can also be undiagnosed/unknown. Lets take an example of a healthy sailor aboard an aircraft carrier, unless the navy has done a total 180 in the last 8 years(and they haven’t), it’s as likely as not that said sailor was 30lbs overweight, used tobacco products and drank coffee and red bulls(I guess bangs now) like water. Plenty of “young healthy adults” are borderline risk factors, sometimes multiple risk factors, for this virus.

in the countries that actually try and do widespread testing near outbreak zones to track cases, like South Korea and Germany, the rates go way down. Some countries, like China, Italy and the USA, only tests severe cases in hot zones. Hence why they are around 4%.

im not saying don’t wear a mask, or don’t wear gloves when handling the gas pump, or don’t wash your hands like an adult(I’ve personally used paper towels to turn off faucets and open doors in public bathrooms for 5 years). Be safe, be responsible. But I don’t think we should be freaking out either. If it took a global pandemic to get you to wash your hands and Not order disposable garbage drop shipped from China, then I guess that’s a silver lining. But I know too many people who refuse to get a flu shot that are now hoarding toilet paper and ramen in hopes of riding this out in their living room.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody else taking tonic water "with Quinine" and Zinc supplements? It's not bonafide WuFlu prevention but may support resistance to it. You can check it on the Web from sources you find creditable. Gin is optional, Lol.

if I have to drink Tonic Water, gin will not be optional but mandatory!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not so sure that'd be the thing to do. Maybe should keep physical schools closed thru the rest of the school year, and on-line classes be held on laptops.

In Japan, "Japanese woman confirmed as COVID-19 case for 2nd time,"

However, "Florian Krammer, a virologist at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, told the New York Times it's unlikely people are being infected for a second time. I'm not saying that reinfection can't occur, will never occur, but in that short time it's unlikely," he said.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ond-wave-Heilongjiang-province-covid19-russia

Top Bottom