• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apparently one of my co workers was shooting his .45 acp pistol yesterday. He was clearing a round that didnt go off. When he touched the slide, the round went off. Im still waiting to hear what kind of pistol. Hes a big guy, and his hand got too close to the wrong end

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
      IMG_0344.jpg
      138 KB · Views: 188

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We used to have a cook-offs pretty regularly on a hot day with the .50 BMG mounted on the rear ramp (doesn't get as much cooling airflow as the left window). I had one go off in the tray one time and still have scar on my wrist from it. Fortunately it was blue tip and not API! Being so hot it does cauterize the wound!:eek:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cook offs are usually only a thing in run-away machine guns, where the chamber gets so hot that the round ignites without the firing pin striking he primer. Could also theoretically happen in any barrel that got super hot and a round “cooking” in the chamber long enough. More likely a hang fire, where the round goes off after a slight delay. It’s uncommon outside of black powder firearms, but can sometimes happen with contaminated ammo (oil or water seeps into the powder.

In the case of a misfire on a modern firearm, I don’t think anyone still does the whole NRA “stay on target for 60 seconds” thing. Most go immediately into clearing the malfunction with a tap-rack-ready sequence.

I don’t know the shooter, but I’d be more inclined to think it was a negligent discharge.
    Shooter error relative to safe gun handling.
    Regardless you do not clear a gun with your hand in front of the muzzle. Some slides come with serrations on the front of the slide that might encourage someone to place their hand close to the muzzle end of a pistol. Below picture of a 1911 with such serrations. The taurus 945 does not seem to have them.

Hangfires with recently manufactured ammo in good condition are rare.

1614004043318.png

1614004315512.png

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My question is why was a hand in front of the barrel. I have had a couple of hang fire in my 50 + years and will admit to a couple of AD.s , but had the muzzle in a safe direction. . and have had a lot of bullets stick in a barrel from various reasons and have never mass up a barrel so for. Not such how meanly case ruptures I have had , have had to replace a few parts. With good training and safe practices. A injury should be avoided . JUst my 5 cents jj

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    WOW, a lot of Googlers there, huh.... Wonder how many "cook-offs and Hang-fire" hits were generated? lol

I referenced "cook-off" as to what I call it, the powder is slowly cooking off in the case after the firing pin hit the primer. But yes, as others have stated, the proper wording is a "Hang-fire".

And if you do not know what that is, here's a good video of what can happen with improper handling of a "Hang-fire", a round that did not instantly fire once the firing pin hit the primer.

Even tho this video has been said to had been faked, it still gets the point across.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Had a soldier last year in my unit do the same thing. He was fucking around with his personal weapon in his car. Shot himself through the hand, looked exactly like OP picture and then hit his buddy in the leg.

His "official" story was he was trying to unload it.....

2018, we had a soldier accidentally shoot another soldier off post and then got scared so he drove him back on post to the barracks and called one of my medics up to fix him. My medic immediately called me and 911. Ended up having to pack his hip with combat gauze. Through and through his hip. Didnt hit any bones or major arteries which I was amazed. They were both intoxicated at the time.

Fucking MPs.

Doc

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Cook offs are usually only a thing in run-away machine guns, where the chamber gets so hot that the round ignites without the firing pin striking he primer. Could also theoretically happen in any barrel that got super hot and a round “cooking” in the chamber long enough. More likely a hang fire, where the round goes off after a slight delay. It’s uncommon outside of black powder firearms, but can sometimes happen with contaminated ammo (oil or water seeps into the powder.

In the case of a misfire on a modern firearm, I don’t think anyone still does the whole NRA “stay on target for 60 seconds” thing. Most go immediately into clearing the malfunction with a tap-rack-ready sequence.

I don’t know the shooter, but I’d be more inclined to think it was a negligent discharge.
    TWIST THE BELT! TWIST THE BELT!!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Had a soldier last year in my unit do the same thing. He was fucking around with his personal weapon in his car. Shot himself through the hand, looked exactly like OP picture and then hit his buddy in the leg.

His "official" story was he was trying to unload it.....

2018, we had a soldier accidentally shoot another soldier off post and then got scared so he drove home on post to the barracks and called one of my medics up to fix him. My medic immediately called me and 911. Ended up having to pack his hip with combat gauze. Through and through his hip. Didnt hit any bones or major arteries which I was amazed. They were both intoxicated at the time.

Fucking MPs.

Doc
    Yep, also add packing paper, etc in the holster to cock the 45 for fast draw..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A misfire with very slow burning powder I have seen with grease-oil contaminated powder in .22LR. Primer works, but power may or may not generate sufficient pressure to drive the bullet out of the barrel. The delay is usually under a second.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom