• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a 2017 Toyota Tunda TRD Off Road with the 5.7L engine. (30K miles) It came from the dealership with a very extensive warranty.
    I was thinking of installing a plug in programmer/tuner/chip to increase horsepower,torque,gas milage.
    Several questions - -> Will the added feature do all the above ?? To what extent ?? Some say as much as 60hp and 3-5mpg. Is this true ??
    Will the chip void my warranty ?? ( I will definately confirm with the dealership.) Are they a simple under dash plug-in ??
    Anybody ever used one ?? Reccomendations ??
    This sounds too good to be true. Kinda like more velovity with less powder. ---- SAWMAN

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Tuners work. 60hp - probably not likely close. Think 5-10 and a better drivability.

You want one that you can install and uninstall- always uninstall it before taking it to the dealer.

Most plug into the obd. Some require different wiring, sensors, etc.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    RIP to your warranty if you do anything to modify the performance. For what a truck costs these days, I wouldn't do anything until after the warranty expires.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    MPG will be determined strictly by your driving habits.

Yes...it will void any and every warranty you can think of.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And yes they know what was done. Again its all computers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BLKRinnyrdr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only Tune I would ever use on a Tundra is a D.A.P. Go online or give Dustin a call, he has been fine tunning his tunes for years, Toyota Specific. Wish I had done it back in 12 when I bought mine, and not waited till 193k mikes, lol. if you want a little rumble on a Tundra Specific Exhaust, look at Dirty Deeds Performance. I love my 6 in BAMuffler.
    If you decide on an intake, do not bother with an aftermarket on Tundra, they make more noise and decrease your performance and MPG. They got it right with these trucks. Can remove the charvoal filter for a little bwtter air flow. I did the stock airbox mod, (SABM) for Tundra, can you tube or google it. Made more of a difference than the K&N kit I took off and sold!

Definitely feel a power difference, even if its seat of the pants. Shifts at 6500 when in it hard, does not hunt for gears when towing, I tow daily. Did tires and wheels at the same time as the tune, it will roast 33x12s with ease, and if I drive normal, still get my usual 15mpg. But its hard to baby it beyond that,I am sure a more conservative driver, on stocks, could get 18mpg easy. 261k miles now and still running strong! Keep in mind, after that tune, 91 is min recommended octane
    15f40382c26b275d25ce537f0e7e456f.jpg

Last edited:

BLKRinnyrdr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And to quote the warranty issue, if you have your handheld programmer from D.A.P. tune,which you will need to load it, you can unload the tune in about 5 minutes return everything to stock and load it again when you get home, if you are worried about warranty.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    And to quote the warranty issue, if you have your handheld programmer from D.A.P. tune,which you will need to load it, you can unload the tune in about 5 minutes return everything to stock and load it again when you get home, if you are worried about warranty.

That doesn't work anymore. New software shows how many times and when your computer is flashed.
    If you show up with an issue and your computer has just been flashed(returned to factory) they know and can void your warranty
    The magnuson act says they must prove that those parts caused whatever failure you have, but they will usually not cover anything if your computer shows multiple flashes.

BLKRinnyrdr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ehh, to each their own. I took mine in for a Powertrain warranty issue at 201k. Unloaded the tune, took it in, they replaced the trans sensor, I took it home and re loaded it. So take that for what its worth. If your worried about your warranty, better off just putting gas in it and changing the oil regularly! Either way, worth a call to D.A.P., in my opinion, if you are considering it!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    And yes they know what was done. Again its all computers.

And I've heard of dealership mechanics throwing away modified parts and installing factory ones, and not even bothering to tell on themselves, of course

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good info all.Thanks to everyone.
    I have simply replaced my air cleaner with a K&N. It is washed and reinstalled evey 3000 miles. I used the same in my 2014 Tundra.
    I have a very light foot and if I'm not towing,the truck is telling me that I am getting 17.4 mpg avg. That is 85% around town type driving. Freeway using cruise control - -> 19 mpg.
    Even the smaller trucks(Tacoma,Colorado,etc) do not get much better than this. I believe that all vechs are grossly detuned for the emissions thing. Most likely,and ESPECIALLY trucks.
    Thanks again gentlemen. --- SAWMAN

BLKRinnyrdr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have simply replaced my air cleaner with a K&N. It is washed and reinstalled evey 3000 miles. I used the same in my 2014 Tundra.
    I have a very light foot and if I'm not towing,the truck is telling me that I am getting 17.4 mpg avg. That is 85% around town type driving. Freeway using cruise control - -> 19 mpg.
    Even the smaller trucks(Tacoma,Colorado,etc) do not get much better than this. I believe that all vechs are grossly detuned for the emissions thing. Most likely,and ESPECIALLY trucks.
    I had a good friend that was getting 22mpg consistently with his 2011 Tundra 5.7. But he was a very conservative driver, lol. I just enjoy my truck too much, lol. I failed to mention I too use a drop in K & N. My only regret is not getting a crew max, those things were so roomy!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is my third Tundra. The first one was the older/smaller version. Great truck,plenty of power.
    My current truck is the best. Even new it was a great deal. It has all options except sun roof. Love the back window that lowers completely.
    HUGE interior. REAL back seat for all my gear. Super ride. --- SAWMAN
    20170414_120834.jpg

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    2020 F150 6cyl EcoBoost automatic
    20210222_070326.jpg

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    If the computer is to be believed, half the time I'm getting over 21 miles per gallon, and 20% of the time I'm getting over 30 miles per gallon

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    any that plug in to the OBD are a scam, ask how I know, a pro tune is a diffrenet animal

That is not true. The superchip on my 08 jeep worked great.

It is not a professional tune - but you don’t need one of those unless you plan on extensive mods.

All a tune is doing is optimizing the computer program to your car instead of the general program loaded.

Many warrantees are not voided by aftermarket parts - including tunes.

That said - for more power you sacrifice reliability. There is a reason manufacturers do not max out the power in the first place. Running an engine at 100% performance puts more wear than running an engine at 70% performance.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is not true. The superchip on my 08 jeep worked great.

It is not a professional tune - but you don’t need one of those unless you plan on extensive mods.

All a tune is doing is optimizing the computer program to your car instead of the general program loaded.

Many warrantees are not voided by aftermarket parts - including tunes.

That said - for more power you sacrifice reliability. There is a reason manufacturers do not max out the power in the first place. Running an engine at 100% performance puts more wear than running an engine at 70% performance.

Not what I have read in the reviews , consumer reports and real world experience, you got lucky

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I did not use my vech to hunt anymore I would drop some money unto a great breathing and farting system for this truck.
    Talked to the parts dept guy at my dealership a while back. Anything THEY INSTALL will not harm my warranty. They can install a TRD supercharger ( "blower") for about $4K. They have done one. There is a "sleeper" Tundra around town that makes 475hp . . . as per dyno.
    I STILL want a TRX !! (Wife sez - -> "sell some more guns". --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom