• Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Did ya eat em??
    Nope. Coons made a mess of the turkeys, and we made a mess of the 2 Racoons.

We put the carcasses of the turkeys in the field by the house and waited for the dogs to start barking the next night.

I think my dad went through all 6 rounds in his 12 gauge and I went through 5 rounds in my 20 gauge.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nope. Coons made a mess of the turkeys, and we made a mess of the 2 Racoons.

We put the carcasses of the turkeys in the field by the house and waited for the dogs to start barking the next night.

I think my dad went through all 6 rounds in his 12 gauge and I went through 5 rounds in my 20 gauge.
    rambo-first-blood.gif

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will never clean another chicken the smell of scalded chicken never goes away from the time you dip them till you pluck the last feather
    I might skin them but never ever will i pluck another chicken
    now that im a grown up

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    last time I cleaned chickens I was 19 chicken in the store was .19 a pound
    I killed 125 chickens used a hatchet had em on a wire when I chopped they slid flopping and a flapping about 8 foot every 5 id takem to mom who had two pots boiling dad was down wind plucking when I got em all killed I had to help pluck
    you ever pluck over a hundred chickens ? ive did my duty in the chicken killing department

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    last time I cleaned chickens I was 19 chicken in the store was .19 a pound
    I killed 125 chickens used a hatchet had em on a wire when I chopped they slid flopping and a flapping about 8 foot every 5 id takem to mom who had two pots boiling dad was down wind plucking when I got em all killed I had to help pluck
    you ever pluck over a hundred chickens ? ive did my duty in the chicken killing department
    Well if things keep rolling you'll be in high demand!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will never clean another chicken the smell of scalded chicken never goes away from the time you dip them till you pluck the last feather
    I might skin them but never ever will i pluck another chicken
    now that im a grown up
    Add a little wax to the dip once they have been hand plucked. Sounds like you've reversed the process. How long ago was that lightning fast chicken plucking session? LOL Dip them in scalding water with wax to remove all the pinfeathers. once the wax solidifies peel it off. It's like giving them a Bikini Wax, smooth as a babies bottom. JMHO.

Last edited:

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Add a little wax to the dip once they have been hand plucked. Sounds like you've reversed the process. How long ago was that lightning fast chicken plucking session? LOL Dip them in scalding water with wax to remove all the pinfeathers. once the wax solidifies peel it off. It's like giving them a Bikini Wax, smooth as a babies bottom. JMHO.
    almost 50 years ; wish you was around with all that Yankee knowledge but dad and mom would have probably not wanted to get wax on our chickens besides it would have took to long to cool down? and we probably couldn't afford wax

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we tried it the other way but the chickens objected to being plucked while alive

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    almost 50 years ; wish you was around with all that Yankee knowledge but dad and mom would have probably not wanted to get wax on our chickens besides it would have took to long to cool down? and we probably couldn't afford wax
    To chill the wax faster you can have a drum of ice water as a second dip. Once you peel the wax off return it to the scalding dip station. When complete, allow the scalding dip to cool and strain out the wax when it solidifies. Add some citronella, lemon grass, and shredded citrus peel with a wick to make a smudge pot. Wax can be expensive unless Y'all kept bees. Found that those little critters are worth their weight in gold on a farm. YMMV. If you do waterfowl in any quantities it won't take long to convince you how well the process works. JMHO. But there is always more than one way to skin a cat. LOL. Try it, you might like it????

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    We singe off the small stuff. Anybody wanna sell me some hens? Harder to come by for sure.

Top Bottom