• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a 280AI built on a Rem 700 receiver. The barrel is Kreiger and was reamed for the AI caliber. I have been fire forming 280 Rem ammo with no issue in chambering and accuracy. However, also in possession of a quantity of 280 Rem brass (in 280AI form) at least once fired by previous person for future reload which I purchased some time ago.. My issue is that these will not chamber safely after trying to load a number of them. I am not new to reloading and have tried every possible solution that I have come across to date. Any assistance will be truly appreciated...Thanks

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mark {color} completely the case or cases you are having trouble chambering with a marks-a-lot or other marking pen. Start with the base of the case up about 1" and the neck and shoulder area , then try to chamber almost forcing the bolt closed , then exam the case and see there the problem is.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not all AI reamers are same . Many different versions with different shoulder angles . P.O. went with 40 degrees . Properly cut AI chamber allows fire-forming parent cases which yours does . Most logical assumption is the used brass was formed in another chamber / dies with different dimensions . Next time you get a barrel done get your 'smith to ream a FL die blank & a case gauge with same chambering reamer . That way you don't encounter same problem . No a bad idea even for standard calibers IMHO , especially with the costs of quality brass today .

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    My guess without seeing the case after an attempted chambering would also be the shoulder. All sage advise given above.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My issue is that these will not chamber safely after trying to load a number of them.
    could you be more specific? Does it not want to go into the chamber? Does it go into the chamber but the bolt it hard to close? Do you have any type of comparator?

maverick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    could you be more specific? Does it not want to go into the chamber? Does it go into the chamber but the bolt it hard to close? Do you have any type of comparator?
    Are you using a FL sizing die? Reamer varies from brand to brand. Try bumping the shoulder back 0.003”.
    Will try bumpng the shoulder...Thanks...Have a Hornady

Last edited:

maverick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Will partially chamber, but not fully. Bolt can be extremely hard to close. Have a Hornady, need to head down that road...Thanks

maverick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mark {color} completely the case or cases you are having trouble chambering with a marks-a-lot or other marking pen. Start with the base of the case up about 1" and the neck and shoulder area , then try to chamber almost forcing the bolt closed , then exam the case and see there the problem is.
    Will try this...Thanks

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Weather you are starting with new or fired ant then FL resized , it will probably help with the shoulder fire forming to your chamber if you start with a false shoulder that the case can head space. Very much like forming 30 Herrett cases. If you were near by I'd offer a few new 3006 cases to try the false shoulder , fire forming and then FL sizing your cases since this is probably a hunting rifle.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Since it's a bolt gun it probably has a strong two or more lug lock up. I think I would try fire forming. However, my disclaimer is I accept no responsibility if you do.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom