• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well yesterday was the first day actually trying out my FoxPro spitfire. I had enough time to do two set ups this evening. First set up I called in a bobcat and unfortunately missed with the shotgun. When I swung the shotgun over he was gone about the time I pulled the trigger. Next set up was over looking a clear cut and had a coyote come out at 5 minutes of shooting light left but I couldn't get him to stop in any place that wasn't grown up. All together it was a fun hour and a half and it all happened on public land!!! I am addicted now! I know it will not be like that every time but still it was AWESOME. I haven't had a hunt action packed like that since I ran around with my dad elk hunting when I was in 5th grade. Something different than sitting in the deer stand just waiting on a deer. Also I hit the coyote locater right after shooting light and I could hear coyotes go off everywhere!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    goddammit ...... don't be spreading the word of how fun varmint hunting is. most hunters,after deer season,either put up their firearms for another year ... or ... start fishing.

suggestion ... when hunting alone ... leave that shotgun at home and pick you up a small,light,short bbl'ed carbine,maybe a ar/pistol,for them quick shots. at some point you will put a load on a yote,they will do a flip-flop,then run off. same with a cat.

if shotgun is used,give some 3 inch,#4 buck a try. or if you can find some,some of the older,lead,bb load. they also make some stuff called dead coyote which is great ... however ... prepare for sticker shock. ouch!!! --- sawman

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    goddammit ...... don't be spreading the word of how fun varmint hunting is. most hunters,after deer season,either put up their firearms for another year ... or ... start fishing.

suggestion ... when hunting alone ... leave that shotgun at home and pick you up a small,light,short bbl'ed carbine,maybe a ar/pistol,for them quick shots. at some point you will put a load on a yote,they will do a flip-flop,then run off. same with a cat.

if shotgun is used,give some 3 inch,#4 buck a try. or if you can find some,some of the older,lead,bb load. they also make some stuff called dead coyote which is great ... however ... prepare for sticker shock. ouch!!! --- sawman
    With the shotgun I only had 3" #1 buck. I did just buy some #4 and hoping to use them. I see online some use modified, other full, the others use tighter chokes.
    What kind of choke do you recommend?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    hunting alone and using a remote call,would recommend a mod. however place speaker appropriately.

if shotgun is used,check into a pattern master choke tube. they work,and no flyers. killed well over 100 yotes with my benelli m1 super 90, and this tube,either on snow cover,or on a frozen lake/stream,in maine. --- sawman

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pattern master choke tubes are great. They are made about a mile from where I once lived in Pennsylvania. They have a big demand for them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    and ........ i have found that the pattern master tube preforms much better using steel shot of the "T" size(.200")or larger and lead shot of the "BB" size(.180")or larger. smaller shot than that and you will have a tight pattern however you will get some flyers. --- sawman

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lot of my friends use these for hunting with buckshot. In Pa it is not legal for deer unless they changed something that I don't know about. Lots of other states it is legal. Great for turkey and geese also. Good friend of mine hunts yotes on the game lands and that is the only choke he uses. He does real on them.

Top Bottom