• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright. 2016 is going to be the year that I build my first AR from the bottom up. I have been looking at parts. I already have my eye on a Spikes stripped lower. My question is in building my shopping list is there really that big of a difference in the parts. I know for the trigger group there would be, for all the pins, spring, bolt release, and mag release? Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I am not a firearm newbie have been around them all my life however most of them have always been high end muzzle loaders.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    get a CMMG lower parts kit and be done with it. The rest are just add-ons or things you can change over time. I like the magpul extended bolt catch/release and an Odin Works extended magazine release, although neither one are required or are established in the book of arms/operations. If its your first AR I would suggest skipping them until you learn and know the standard operations of the rifle. Accessorize later. If you find someones "enhanced" lower parts kit it will generally have a different grip and trigger guard which are more ergonomically made, although they will function the same.

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks ksenter. that was actually one of the kits I was looking at. I just couldn't see the $100 difference for the spike's kit.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you want ALL the parts in the enhanced kit, it's a good deal. They can be had for much less than retail right now. I'm a fan of the ergo grips, can take out leave the ambi safety, the kns pins dint do much besides look cool. The trigger that comes with the kit isn't much better than most of the cmmg triggers I've tried. YMMV but the CMMG triggers are above average for a standard trigger.

Try and get your hands on other setups before you buy so you've got some idea of what you do/don't like.

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do know that I want the ambi selector.. Left hander in a right hand world. Even though I am right eye dominate.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I'm in the same boat. I've decided to build my first AR. I've got a pretty good idea what I want, but there are so many options out there, I'm having a hard time wading through what are the cheap and easy parts to get and what are the good ones. I've been reading as much as I can, but I'd love more advice from the group here. I really love the set up of the S&W M&P Viking Tactics model AR-15. That is pretty much exactly what I want, but I feel pretty certain I can build something pretty comparable to that for a good bit less money. Someone help a newbie AR builder put together a shopping list, and maybe some good sources of where to purchase. I'll be happy to start a new thread if I need to...just seemed along the same lines as the OP. Thanks for the guidance.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Build it how you like it.
    Want something different. Build another one.
    Repeat. Its a never ending cycle.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I thought about throwing in my two cents worth, but have decided to refrain. Enjoy the build process. I can be addictive. I should know, I have built over three dozen to date with three more in the wings. One of those is about halfway there. The other two will be completed sometime next year. Still sourcing out the parts I want to use.

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    TackleberryMCS no worries if ya have something to say just put it out there. I have real thick skin. And would appreciate any advise or criticism.

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alcolee no high jack on the thread heck we can follow this one for the answers we are looking for.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    TackleberryMCS no worries if ya have something to say just put it out there. I have real thick skin. And would appreciate any advise or criticism.

Okay. Here is what I recommend. Go to PSA's website and order the individual small parts. This will allow you to order a few extra springs and detents just in case you send them flying and cannot find them. Also, it will allow you to pick and choose the Fire Control Group (hammer, trigger, disconnector, and springs) that you want. The same goes for the ambi-selector, and pistol grip. If you like, I can give you a list of the small parts that you would need.

Other have suggested certain LPKs. I use to go that route, but no longer. I prefer to have an assortment of parts on hand just in case I need an extra at some point. This has paid off a few times. PSA has good quality parts. If you want to consider a good mil-spec trigger/hammer set, the ALG ACT is fantastic. I think that Spikes Tactical has their Battle Trigger that is very similar. There are a variety of magazine releases, trigger guards, and pivot/takedown pins that are available. For the most part, the standard ones work well and are cheaper. Here is the link to the individual lower parts at PSA. http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lower-parts/individual-parts.html

If you need any help sourcing certain products or some assistance in regard to assembly, just let me know. I would be more than willing to help. After all, I have a lot of time on my hands to help guys with their AR builds.

Dusther

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    TackleberryMCS thanks for the advice.. one of the parts kits I had my eye on other than the CMMG is the Diamond Back https://diamondbackfirearms.myshopi...parts/products/db15-lower-parts-kit-with-grip along with this buffer tube stock kit. http://www.luth-ar.com/product/mba-1-black-w-223-buffer-kit/ at 6'4" I find the carbine lengths pretty tight and planning my build more on a long range toy. The upper will be a 20" . But really not focused to much on that it will be several months before I get to that end of it.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    TackleberryMCS thanks for the advice.. one of the parts kits I had my eye on other than the CMMG is the Diamond Back https://diamondbackfirearms.myshopi...parts/products/db15-lower-parts-kit-with-grip along with this buffer tube stock kit. http://www.luth-ar.com/product/mba-1-black-w-223-buffer-kit/ at 6'4" I find the carbine lengths pretty tight and planning my build more on a long range toy. The upper will be a 20" . But really not focused to much on that it will be several months before I get to that end of it.

Since you are planning on building more of a precision AR, I recommend buying the lower parts as I mentioned, then buying a 2-stage trigger such as the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S or a Geissele SSA or SSA-E (http://www.laruetactical.com/taxonomy/term/82?sort=popular). Additionally, you may want to look into the MAGPUL PRS stock (http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-prs-ar10-sr25-model-mag308-blk.html). You can order the receiver extension, buffer, and spring along with the other small parts, including you choice of pistol grips. There is no reason to order a standard LPK if you do not plan on using all of the pieces in it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Since he wants a long range toy, he does not want to use steel-cased ammo anyway. He should be shooting 5.56mm 77 gr. OTM ammo.
    Agreed. Different tools for different jobs. I'd recommend a stainless 1/7 bull barrel. 75gr TAP is my favorite round for that purpose, it's a tack driving and efficient round, that or MK262.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Since he wants a long range toy, he does not want to use steel-cased ammo anyway. He should be shooting 5.56mm 77 gr. OTM ammo.

Agreed. Different tools for different jobs. I'd recommend a stainless 1/7 bull barrel. 75gr TAP is my favorite round for that purpose, it's a tack driving and efficient round, that or MK262.

Or whatever else you want to put through it.

Top Bottom