• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fish-e

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was told to cycle 200 rounds of 3 1/2 through it to break it in. I don't have the shoulder for that. As of right now it won't cycle 2 3\4 and dove season is coming up. suggestions?

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm with Sawman on this one, sounds strange to me.

I have 3 Benellis, all M2's (3" guns, no 3 1/2"). They have eaten any and all ammo I have ever fed them. Never had an issue from the lightest 2 3/4" field load to a heavy 3" turkey or duck load. What model Benelli are you shooting? Also, 200 rds of 3 1/2" shells is gonna get pretty pricey isn't it?

fish-e

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed! Super Vinci. The 2 3/4 jam every other round to every 3rd round. They said the spring needs to be "broken in" before it will feed the smaller shells.

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am probably not any help. I just haven't ever experienced that before with mine. I can say this though, I really wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of 200 rds of 3 1/2" just to break a gun in!!! Ouch!!!

Good luck and let us know how it all ends up.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What about just lubing it up really well and cycling it by hand a few hundred times. At the very least, I don't think it would hurt.

fish-e

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to the range and put 75 3 1/2 shells through it and it still wouldn't cycle the 2 3/4. i can't take any more than that....ever. I've email benelli again to see if they have another way around.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Three things cross my mind:
    1.Does it say in any advertisement for this gun or in the owners manual for this gun that it will fire 2 3/4",3",and 3.5" ammo ??
    2. Anywhere,in any advertisement for the sale of these guns does it say that you have to fire 250rds of 3.5" ammo thru the gun BEFORE it functions properly ??
    3. Does it say anywhere in the owners manual that you have to fire 250rds of 3.5" ammo in the gun before it functions properly ??
    4. Call that Benelli rep back and ask him if he is prepared to send you 250rds of 3.5" ammo or the money to buy it.

This seems kind iffy to me. Is that an inertia operated gun ?? Does it have one super stiff spring that is a little over an inch long ?? If so,I have two of these springs and you are welcome to try one of mine if you want to.

I know of a couple of other people that have had problems with these guns. You did not happen to get this gun from a forum member did you ?? --- SAWMAN

fish-e

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I does say that it will shoot 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 shells but not that it takes a breakin period to cycle the 2 3/4. I'm not sure about the spring size but it is inertia driven. The bolt goes back by hand very easily with almost no effort.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If like my gun,you are just compressing the return spring that is in the stock and not the inertia spring that is in the BCG(behind the bolt). --- SAWMAN
    Edit: in re to post #7

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Problem being ....... you get a light inertia spring,then shoot some heavy loads thru it,and what does it do to your gun. The bolt comes slammin' to the rear in the BCG and wondering if the spring FULLY compresses. If so .... not good.

My gun worked with the lightest dove/quail loads,some of the most powerful crow loads(1.5ozs of #8 shot),and 3" full power buckshot from day one. IMO ..... yours should also.

Let me know if you need the OAL of my two springs. One has probably 1500rds thru it,90% full power,the other is new,never been used. The lengths might tell you something or something that can be relayed to Benelli. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That's why I kept the heavy one so I could put it back when I was going to shoot heavy loads. It is very hard to get something that will work with all the different pressure loads with out having to do something to off set the pressure difference . A lot of the older shotguns had a setting for high and low loads it hasn't changed that much. A=5s Some rem. the 1100 has diff. gas ports size. just for a start. Just my 5 cents.jj

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I looked up your manual and it states the following:

NOTE: some breaking-in period may
    be required before your new gun
    works perfectly with light target loads.
    If you experience any initial functioning
    problems, we recommended firing
    three or four boxes of standard hunting
    cartridges.

Top Bottom