Target Sports

Braced Pistols to become SBR's starting in December?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh I agree completely that we shouldn't count on discretion. The 2a is pretty clear and it takes some serious mental gymnastics to make it into something it's not.

I am curious what your experience was if you're willing to share.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Well, my good and bad experience with ATF:

1) I wanted to make my own suppressor. Pensacola ATF office told me it's against the law for an individual to make a suppressor (I was asking local office for two Form 1's to do so). They lied. A MG dealer friend got the blank Form 1's for me.

2) I wanted to buy a machine gun while stationed on the USS L.Y. Spear AS-36 stationed in Norfolk, Va. Had approved special request chit to keep the MG on the ship. Norfolk police chief would not sign Form 4's (needed law enforcement signature at that time). Visited Norfolk ATF office for advise. Was told that since my ship was at Norfolk Navy Base to see the chief of the DOD police there and to go right over. ATF called the chief and told him I was coming (I don't know what else they talked about). I walked in to the DOD police office with no appointment; they were expecting me; offered a seat and coffee. Chief asked if I had permission to keep the MG on the ship (since I lived on the ship) (I was in good with the C.O., Weapons Officer, and the ship's armory personnel)...yes...he signed off on the Form 4's needed to complete the transfer. Actually it was two MG's. A few months later I walked up to the ship and boarded with my two MG's (Sten and a M1917A1), showed the OOD my approved request chit and proceeded to the armory. Carpenter shop made a fitted wood crate for the 17A1.

mememememe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only way to remain legal is round buffer tube.

These rubber covers are great. Fit 1.25'' tubes rubber better than foam
    I've got two extra for 10.00
    No clue where they came from were in parts box

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_214604_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20230114_214604_Chrome.jpg
      548.7 KB · Views: 28

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

tenor.gif

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    *Not legal advice, just my experience and what I think is the most likely scenario*

I was on a federal task force that had a few ATF agents on it at the time during the Obama Administration (not exactly the most 2a friendly). While it was only a handful of agents in one office (and every agency has its assholes) all of them said the ATF/US Attorney's Office had zero interest in prosecuting the average gun owner for possessing a prohibited item.

There is a form they use to impound the item for destruction. If the person is attempting to sell the item, has a felony conviction, is part of a criminal gang, involved in the criminal drug trade, or using it in the commission of a crime, it's a different story. I never asked what would happen if the same person was found on several occasions with a new single item after being warned a few times before.

I wouldn't want to lose the stuff I paid my hard-earned money for because of some crappy administrative rule change that pretty clearly infringes on the 2A, but I don't think the average joe is going to get put in jail by the feds over an unregistered pistol brace.
    Much appreciated, thanks. However, times having changed a bit, and IMO, it's safer to arrest/jail the average joe than more significant threats. There is also an obvious agenda these days to make an example of those who would resist.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Much appreciated, thanks. However, times having changed a bit, and IMO, it's safer to arrest/jail the average joe than more significant threats. There is also an obvious agenda these days to make an example of those who would resist.

Perhaps. Knowing a bit about how the feds and the US Attorney’s office works, I would be deeply surprised if they abandoned the impound/destroy policy for otherwise non-criminal people. If the state they are in has SBR/suppressor laws on the books they may punt it to the state to see if they want to pick up the case, but the idea that they will spend time to try and prosecute someone on the federal level (which is a high bar) for possessing something they bought over the counter in a big box store seems a bit of a reach to me. Could it happen? Sure, I suppose.

I know I wouldn’t want to be the US Attorney explaining to a jury how joe citizen is before them today for having something they bought legally in the past and the rules then changed with no record of the individual being notified and now I want you to convict them. Oh, and my evaluations and promotions are based on my conviction rate so pretty please;)

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I figured it would be a fight despite the recent Supreme Court decision. I really think we are going to see the usual suspects pushing aggressively against the ruling and if they don’t get spanked for it they will continue.

They will push and unfortunately the USSC didn’t immediately intervene in NY so it will take months/years to reach an end and in the meantime the grabbers will try and grab.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I see all these folks posting how they are going to register their SBR for free. There is no way this is going to happen. This fee forgiveness will have an asterisk next to it and I guarantee you if you have a stock on your registered braced pistol, you'll be a felon.
    We will see how this shakes out.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I see all these folks posting how they are going to register their SBR for free. There is no way this is going to happen. This fee forgiveness will have an asterisk next to it and I guarantee you if you have a stock on your registered braced pistol, you'll be a felon.
    We will see how this shakes out.

Yep.

“if you aren’t paying for a product, You ARE the product.”

Don’t fall for the trap. This is a massive fishing net for suckers to self-identify.

You’d be selling yourself for $200.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Actually there is a line in there about buffer tubes counting as a brace.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom