• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello All,
    I am in the process of a slow build. I think I will go 556/223, but not sure yet. My question is on Bolt Carrier groups. What are some good brands? What makes the "good" brands better than the cheap brands? How important is it to go with a full auto bolt, when I will never shoot full auto.
    I have a couple of bought ARs, and this is my first build, and having a blast learning about this platform.
    Thanks,
    Gio

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look for these characteristics: c158 bolt that's mpi/hpt and shot peened, properly staked with grade 8 fasteners, correct extracter spring and insert etc. I'm sure there's a chart if you Google it. But if you want all the mil-spec qualities go with BCM, Daniel defense, LMT, or even one of the PSA premium bcg's. I have a BCM in one of my AR's and quality is top notch. That one gets great reviews also. And last thing an m16 profile slows down the cycle supposedly so I guess if your running a standard carbine buffer you'll get better reliability. Thats all I got I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look for these characteristics: c158 bolt that's mpi/hpt and shot peened, properly staked with grade 8 fasteners, correct extracter spring and insert etc. I'm sure there's a chart if you Google it. But if you want all the mil-spec qualities go with BCM, Daniel defense, LMT, or even one of the PSA premium bcg's. I have a BCM in one of my AR's and quality is top notch. That one gets great reviews also. And last thing an m16 profile slows down the cycle supposedly so I guess if your running a standard carbine buffer you'll get better reliability. Thats all I got I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in.

I agree with the above, especially about the PSA BCG's. As long as you look for the C158 steel and stay away from PTAC brand BCG's from PSA, you'll be fine and you'll get a very good price if you watch their daily deals.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    redX, surplus ammo, almost any known vendor as long as it is in spec you will not go wrong. I use the full auto because it is heavier and cycles my weapon better.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    158 vs 9310. Which is better? Let the internet decide.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/616269_9310_bolt_vs__C158_bolt.html, lots of other links in the link

Willing to bet you can't tell the difference and if the guy selling it to you told you the incorrect spec... you'd never know.

Not talking down, just voicing my OPINION.

In the big scheme, it doesn't matter except to a very small percentage of people. There are plenty of cheap BCGs out there now. Aimsurplus has some for $80 with free shipping, Joe bob has some for $100 ish. Rainier is having a sale for $100 per bcg. BCM makes good stuff but you pay a HUGE premium for it. It's your money and rifle.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting Nate. I read the articles you suggest, and it seems there is a lot of different thoughts on which metals are better. I love the idea of saving where I can, but that is not the whole focus of this build. The idea of an $80 BCG, is tempting, as long as I am not giving up function.
    I guess I had a good question, since I am still not sure which way to go.

Top Bottom