• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    Beretta 1301 Blink gas system claims to be 36% fast cycling than any other semi auto shotgun. That maybe true. I don't know exactly how that is measured. But if it were faster than the Mossberg wouldn't Jerry use the 1301? Just sayin'. Jerry is in it to win champions and he makes a comfortable living doing it. Jerry is an undisputed world champion in more than one discipline. He loves having those titles. If Jerry doesn't use the fastest cycling shotgun, someone else will use the 1301 against him to take the trophy. As talented as he is, 36% faster is difficult to overcome. IMO. Am I overlooking something? Maybe I'm conflating best with fastest.

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Am I missing something here I thought we were talking about home defense shotgun a 1937 Browning A5 is fast enough shot placement not speed in home defense. I'm not completely sure but I think all this speed shooting is done with light loads not 000 buckshot. The faster you shoot the quicker you run out of bullets.

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I did not care for the bulk and weight of the browning A5 and I had a 20" barrel on one.
    I do like remingtons, benellis, franchi, and believe it or not so far, the benelli clones, gas but still pretty nice, and cheap.
    Why not a Benelli? cost? or personal dislike?
    Also maybe a +1 on Beretta 1301 it feels nice, but I have not shot one.
    I wonder if franchi makes a riot / tactical shotgun?

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Beretta 1301 Blink gas system claims to be 36% fast cycling than any other semi auto shotgun. That maybe true. I don't know exactly how that is measured. But if it were faster than the Mossberg wouldn't Jerry use the 1301? Just sayin'. Jerry is in it to win champions and he makes a comfortable living doing it. Jerry is an undisputed world champion in more than one discipline. He loves having those titles. If Jerry doesn't use the fastest cycling shotgun, someone else will use the 1301 against him to take the trophy. As talented as he is, 36% faster is difficult to overcome. IMO. Am I overlooking something? Maybe I'm conflating best with fastest.

OP asked for a "serious role" shotgun, and IMO the M4 (which he does not want) or the 1301 Tactical are the guns to beat. I personally like the 1301 over the M4, but they're both fantastic shotguns.

As far as Jerry goes, I believe he was running Mossbergs before the 1301 Tactical was a thing (he's also sponsored by them, so - lol). Mossberg makes a good shotgun, I won't deny that. It's just not the first brand that comes to mind when I think "serious role" semiautomatic shotgun. Their 500/590 series has been proven time and again, but I don't see many 900 series outside of competition or hunting. They did just release the 940 Tactical with Jerry's help recently. Redesigned gas system, optics cut, some other neat doodads - but, it's basically brand new and reliability remains to be seen.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Same with my Benelli M1, I polished the Bolt and it runs everything from low brass #8 to the heaviest magnum, and it's Inertia.

OP says besides the Benelli M4, the Benelli M1 & M2 are within his budget, and function extremely well. The M1 isn't subject to 922r either.. :)

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I can't tell you how many flats of shells have been through my M1...enough to make a silver grove in the ejection port. In all that time I think I have cleaned it maybe five times (the trigger group)...never a hiccup. I have a short 870 with a bandolier of #4B and slugs in the side saddle for home.

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I like both, and its been proven a pump can shoot faster than most if not all autos, but as mentioned not relevant in 99.9% of incidents.
    and you could shoot as good as that guy if you shot as much as he did..

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like both, and its been proven a pump can shoot faster than most if not all autos, but as mentioned not relevant in 99.9% of incidents.
    and you could shoot as good as that guy if you shot as much as he did..
    Given what I've seen and done, and the physics behind it, I would like to see someone operate a pump shotgun faster than an auto shotgun, I have a couple that I would put up to the challenge.

Like saying a standard car can out-shift an automatic.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    Given what I've seen and done, and the physics behind it, I would like to see someone operate a pump shotgun faster than an auto shotgun, I have a couple that I would put up to the challenge.

Semi auto shotguns have come a long way in the last decade. I would tend to agree with the premise. I think Benelli, Mossberg, certainly Beretta would cycle faster than a fast pump gun operator. As much of a fan of JMB that I am, I would not put the A-5 in this lightening fast category. Pumps can't outrun physics. The length of the pump stroke won't allow it. The cycle length of the semi auto is less than half that of a pump. The Winchester SXP defender assists the shooter with the pump by releasing the bolt upon firing. Even this fast pump system can't compete with a semi auto. IMO. 3 minute video of an example of the SXP. It might be worth a watch.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    One that's not mentioned is the Browning gold and silver. Shot clays with a buddy that has a silver field and you cannot stand to the right of him. That sucker will kick a shell 15ft. Action rips it out that good it has to cycle reliably.

Last edited:

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    +1 on the Stoeger M3000 Defense. Reliable and well made, great value for the money. You can use the cash saved to dress it up or buy ammo. I also have had great luck with the Turk Benelli clones; my Panzer M4 sits by my bedside with roughly 1500 rounds through it. Out of the box though, I'd have a lot more trust in the Stoeger. The Beretta is also excellent, but I think the Stoeger is a better value given their performance.

drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so finally getting back around to this, lets see

$300-$400 will get you a Remington licensed clone of a $600-$700 Browning Auto 5. It is spring, not gas, so no O-rings to worry about. Uncomplicated diehard design
    Heard that they had trouble with cheap ammo, however even as mentioned, it does have years of a reputation behind it, and simplicity typically equals durability.

I went a step cheeper -
    Stoger M3000 Defense
    Saw this also, though I'm iffy about Turkish shotguns. Like they'd be great price wise, if they had better Q&A plus aftermarket pieces.
    No love for the pump?

Wouldn't say it's so much of that, it's moreso that I want something semi-automatic that would give me an edge (looking at what's happened with other bans and how countries work around them) but if that day never comes, something that won't completely sit around in my safe without purpose. However at the same time, shot placement > flinging out rounds, so maybe my outlook on it might be wrong.
    For what it's worth, this guy is up to 4000 rounds.

Ngl was thinking about the AK shotguns, but I've also been hearing about the magazines have some sort of feeding issues, or are finicky on ammo.

The Mossberg's I've been looking into, but I've also heard that they have a lot of issues in jamming with certain ammo. A side of me feels like the Beretta 1301 might actually be the best option atm, at least from all the reviews and word about it I'm receiving.

Semi auto shotguns have come a long way in the last decade. I would tend to agree with the premise. I think Benelli, Mossberg, certainly Beretta would cycle faster than a fast pump gun operator. As much of a fan of JMB that I am, I would not put the A-5 in this lightening fast category. Pumps can't outrun physics. The length of the pump stroke won't allow it. The cycle length of the semi auto is less than half that of a pump. The Winchester SXP defender assists the shooter with the pump by releasing the bolt upon firing. Even this fast pump system can't compete with a semi auto. IMO. 3 minute video of an example of the SXP. It might be worth a watch.

Ngl actually started looking into this shotgun, seems a little interesting!

*Also, apologies if I haven't gotten to everyone's responses, I've been reading the messages and appreciate the inputs!*

RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

You are right, I always heard this years ago but then was then. If Jerry says it , it must be so.

Perhaps the most famous and best all-around shooter in the world, Jerry Miculek, said: "I've shot .11 and .12 [second] splits out of my Mossberg 930 shotgun. I can't come anywhere close to that [with a pump.]"

Top Bottom