• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    the old 1100 or 11-87 are tough to beat. with a few minor mods they are still a viable option. just stay away from recent big green production... they haven't been known for the best quality as of late.
    The agency I retired from had quite a few issues with our 11-87 tacticals. Mostly broke firing pins and burrs in the magazine tubes. Apparently this was pretty common in the late 90's and early 2000 models.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't overlook the pump shotgun, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca Model 37, and the remingtons. And don't overlook the 20 gauge at close range there is practically no difference except in felt recoil. As far as economics goes look for older shotguns View attachment 160426 with some type of poly choke on the end of the barrel usually get a much better deal and it's no problem to cut them off. All of these Model 12 had poly chokes of some form cut off.
    The cool thing about a model 37 is you can hold the trigger and pump. It will fire with every pump. There is a name for that, I'm sure someone will chime in with it. My feeble mind cannot remember what it's called.
    I have a model 37 Ithaca that my father purchased new from a hardware store in Monette, AR. in 1946 when he got home from the war. It was really battered over the years. I sent it to Ithaca in the early 1990's I believe. They replaced the damaged Barrel, Butt stock, and re-blued the receiver. It looks like new now. Only problem is "It kills on both ends!"

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The cool thing about a model 37 is you can hold the trigger and pump. It will fire with every pump. There is a name for that, I'm sure someone will chime in with it. My feeble mind cannot remember what it's called.
    I have a model 37 Ithaca that my father purchased new from a hardware store in Monette, AR. in 1946 when he got home from the war. It was really battered over the years. I sent it to Ithaca in the early 1990's I believe. They replaced the damaged Barrel, Butt stock, and re-blued the receiver. It looks like new now. Only problem is "It kills on both ends!"
    Slamfire ;)

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For what it is worth, having worked on most shot guns over the last 50 yrs, and ether train or help train other to learn to work a shot gun, Frist all shot guns are not made a like and all people are not made a like. what may work for you may not work for some one else. Shoot comp. with one and defending your home is to difference things. One of the mean things is can others in the family use it, Will it work with most any shell you put in it.. How will does it hold up. maintenance, and available of part to repair it. This is my way for determining what I keep by my bed, or door. . After having to use one ,I keep a Rem. 870 , had it by my door for several yrs. I did do a couple of Mods. to it such as a Ex. tube. and a side saddle shell holder. It worked when I needed it to. My comp. shot gun is a Rem.1100 and a super M1 Bet. is set up to work with one load or two loads. This one of the things I try to cover in my ccw class, is defending your home.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For what it is worth, having worked on most shot guns over the last 50 yrs, and ether train or help train other to learn to work a shot gun, Frist all shot guns are not made a like and all people are not made a like. what may work for you may not work for some one else.
    This right here. Training and learning your weapon to become proficient with it should be the first priority. Then you will find out how good it is.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Hi all from lovely Myakka.

Just bought this

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun Magazine

JTS M12AK 12 Gauge 18" Semi Auto Tactical Shotgun​

Actually bought two but a LE pal swapped me for one. He has put 100's thru it and loves it. Bought a couple 10 round mags, it comes with two 5 rounders.

Semi-autos get me nervous but this thing seems to be pretty reliable. To be honest, the price point got me ... $299 from Palmetto with free shipping (bought some other stuff to get over the minimum for free)

Again ... $299.

I've owned a Chinese Saiga 12 clone before and I can tell you that "bulky" and "heavy" is quickly overlooked when laying down a wall of lead! These can mag dump 20+ shells before the first piece of lead hits the ground

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank You!
    Most all of the older pump shotguns with slam fire. But in the real world it's not that practical, try it some times and you'll see what I mean. On a side note a lot of the older pump 22 rifles will slam fire also. Winchester Model 61, Remington Model 12

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've owned a Chinese Saiga 12 clone before and I can tell you that "bulky" and "heavy" is quickly overlooked when laying down a wall of lead! These can mag dump 20+ shells before the first piece of lead hits the ground
    That's easy from a still position, some of us look at the mobility aspect of these weapons. I prefer to be mobile around corners. That long AK type weapon sticking out is just asking to be grabbed out of someone's hands.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Rem 870 is a well proven weapon. Simple, effective, and parts are everywhere. I have one setup for my first go-to, then I back up to my auto shotguns. Then again that depends on what I'm getting into since both are sitting next to each other.

Training is key with any of them.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    I have great respect and love the pump shotgun. I own pumps. However, back to the question of the original OP "Best semi-auto shotgun besides the Benelli M4?". The Mossberg 930 and 940 deserves recognition and respect. I have no illusions that Mossberg is fronting Jerry with ammo and shotguns for him to wear their logo and colors on his shirts. Jerry Miculek Runs Through 23 Shells in Just 3 Seconds with a Mossberg 930 JM Pro Shotgun. How does Jerry shoot this fast and accurately? Well, he has said in interviews that he spends "all day every day at the range." The man's muscle memory for shooting must be off the charts at this point. What ever equipment you choose, pump or semi, you will only be as proficient with that equipment as you choose to be.

1649341956411.png
    1649343350956.png

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    Training and practice being key, as mentioned, however what is on the front of that shotgun? Weight ballast?
    I think it's some sort of high cap magazine extension that I am not familiar with. It's evident in the video it's a magazine. He had to have some sort of increased mag capacity to shoot 23 in 3 seconds, don't you agree? My point Mossberg deserves more love than it received so far in this thread.

Last edited:

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, was my thought after getting a better look at it. So that's also weight in the end of the gun keeping it down and limiting recoil. If they let him get away with that well so be it.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the Girsan MC312, it is a Benelli copy that has been torture tested and proven. I know a guy who bought 5 for his family for dove shoots and is very pleased. Under $500 most times I got mine for $400 they come with 5 choke tubes and lifetime warranty.

Top Bottom