• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes, I know it's sacrilege to have a 1911 chambered in 9mm. That being said, where's the best place to find reliable mags for it without breaking the bank? I know Wilson Combat makes some of the best ones, but they aren't the only game in town. What other brands do you recommend and where is the best place to get them without breaking the bank? Are Mecgar mags for 1911's decent? They've been great in the Beretta 92 and CZ75's I've had through the years. Not even sure I'm gonna end up keeping the gun, but if I do, I definitely need more than the one mag that Springfield included with it.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah, but for a range toy, 9mm is a lot easier on the wallet to shoot and even reload. Besides, I have a bunch of small pistol primers, finding large pistol primers for a reasonable price is tough these days. Sadly, finances aren't what they should be thanks to a work injury, so either my .357 or my 9mm have to go. I haven't even shot the 9mm 1911 yet as I took it in a partial trade for a .308. If I keep it, definitely gonna drop a little bit of cash on a couple extra mags. If it sells, then I'll drop a little cash for some .357 brass to reload. Damn, I hate being in this position, but we gotta play the hand we were dealt.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, I know it's sacrilege to have a 1911 chambered in 9mm. That being said, where's the best place to find reliable mags for it without breaking the bank? I know Wilson Combat makes some of the best ones, but they aren't the only game in town. What other brands do you recommend and where is the best place to get them without breaking the bank? Are Mecgar mags for 1911's decent? They've been great in the Beretta 92 and CZ75's I've had through the years. Not even sure I'm gonna end up keeping the gun, but if I do, I definitely need more than the one mag that Springfield included with it.
    Don't give up on the 9mm 1911 until you try it. Ammo selection can make or break it. Low cost surplus NATO 124 makes for more practice sessions. I use Chip McCormick mags in my Taurus 1911. https://cmproducts.com/1911-magazines.html

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Don't give up on the 9mm 1911 until you try it. Ammo selection can make or break it. Low cost surplus NATO 124 makes for more practice sessions. I use Chip McCormick mags in my Taurus 1911. https://cmproducts.com/1911-magazines.html
    Not giving up on it at all. I actually prefer 9mm to 45 for plinking at the range. I'm just looking at options right now. I haven't even shot it yet, hell it's not even broken in. I'm either keeping this one or my Blackhawk, all depends on which sells first and there's a high potential that I'll keep the 1911 currently. Just trying to find a couple of reliable, yet affordable mags for it in case I do keep it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not giving up on it at all. I actually prefer 9mm to 45 for plinking at the range. I'm just looking at options right now. I haven't even shot it yet, hell it's not even broken in. I'm either keeping this one or my Blackhawk, all depends on which sells first and there's a high potential that I'll keep the 1911 currently. Just trying to find a couple of reliable, yet affordable mags for it in case I do keep it.
    You may find that there are more affordable mags than CMP that work nearly as reliably. Got mine a long time ago in a package deal. I use Wilson Combat in my .45 ACP 1911's.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    After doing a LOT of digging and such between different mags and comparisons/reviews, I've found out a few things. Wilson Combat mags are made by Chip McCormick, but isn't exactly the same as the standard CM Mags. Nighthawk Custom has their own mags, and apparently they kinda suck. Mec-Gar 'Match-Grade' mags are some of the best, especially for the cost, and are perpetually sold out everywhere because of it, their standard mags are still good. Metalcraft and ACT-Mags are decent, but not as good as the WC, CM, or MG mags, nor considered as reliable. The WC Elite mags are considered by many to be the gold standard, but when put head to head with the CM and Mec-Gar mags don't have any real benefit for two-three times the price. All three seem to be near the same quality, only the MG is $21, the CM is $35, and the WC Elites are $45 for the 10-rounds with polymer baseplate so it can be dropped free without denting up the mag. Also, local shops will have a ton of 45 mags, 10mm mags, and even a few .38 super mags, but have an empty spot on the shelf for 9mm mags. Colt Factory mags are also good, but they have a colt stamp on them, so you get a very basic mag that's reliable, but not necessarily going to drop free as easily or easy to clean, and costs the same as the CM mags or more. Oh, they also don't come in a 10-round variety.
    When a firearm has been around for over a century, a LOT of manufacturer's make mags for them, and there aren't that many that are considered 'competition worthy'. I'm not going to compete, but I like being able to disassemble my mags to clean them, and know that they'll work when I push the boom button. Oh, and Brownell's has their own brand of mags, and they've got a decent rating but are about the same price as the CM mags.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom