• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I managed to get 68forums unblocked at work and just found a sticky in the hunting section. This is the conclusion:

Summary:

So, if you are looking into the question "what bullet should I choose...?" Consider a few things.

1) do I shoot more deer at ranges of 100 yards, than any other animal, with my rifle? If so, you could do very well with the Nosler Accubond, the 120 SST, the TSX / TTSX's, or the 110 SPH, if you just happen to find that's the most accurate in your gun. ETA: agreed with others who've shot deer with it, that at these ranges, the 90 TNT should also work well.

2) do I shoot deer at longer ranges, say up to 300 yards, and lots of hogs, with the same rifle? If so, then I would recommend that you pick the 110 Accubond or the 95 TTSX. The Accubond is a proven performer with good BC, and the 95 TTSX opens at speeds as low as 1600 FPS giving it a wide functioning / expansion range.

3) am I shooting hogs most often with a deer once a year? If so, I would pick the 85 TSX, 85 E-tip, 95 TTSX, or 110 TSX. The 120 SST seems to be doing a great job for some of our members, but recognize that the trajectory is a bit more of an arc than with the super flat 85 TSX or flat 95 TTSX.

4) Am I shooting coyotes? maybe a deer or two? The 90 TNT, 110 Hornady OTM and CEB Raptors all will work.

** Remember, this considers only hunting performance, and not all our available bullets. I hope this helps some of you choose your bullets for this upcoming season! Any and all input is most welcome as there is a plethora of good info from our other members.

Looks like the 110 Accubond is my best for all around hog, deer and over 100yd shooting.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went ahead and ordered the ARP 16" Socom barrel and Superbolt. I would have preferred the Scout contour, but it looks like it could be months before they get back in stock.

H from ARP made a comment on 68forums that the DEA ordered every 12.5" 6.8 barrel he had in stock last week, so that scared me into going ahead and placing the order while they still have some 16" in stock.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah looks like DEA and other alphabet agencies are going to the 6.8 for SBR's, good news I would imagine! Iron Works might have had an ARP 16" Scout as they are the major ARP builder.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah looks like DEA and other alphabet agencies are going to the 6.8 for SBR's, good news I would imagine! Iron Works might have had an ARP 16" Scout as they are the major ARP builder.

I'm pretty sure I checked with them the other day and they were out of all the ARP barrels. I could be mistaken.

I'm not really upset about the Socom contour. It will be a little heavy, but I'll survive.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Brett is a really good guy and sells parts for a good price. but he is one of the unofficial ARP builders. What is the SOCOM a bit heavier than the Scout?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got my ARP 16" Socom barrel yesterday. I went ahead and trued the receiver and bedded the barrel extension last night so it would have plenty of time to cure before I finish the build tomorrow. I'll post pictures of the rifle when I get it complete.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a side note, I quit with the Loctite Blue and started using this. It works the same and is a whole lot less messy. Just twist the bottom and you can push out exactly how much you need without it dripping all over everything. Toothpaste consistency. I don't remember but I got it at either Walmart or Advanced Auto Parts.

http://abbotsrc.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductId=2834666

6093407.jpg

Attachments

• 6093407.jpg
      6093407.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 233

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With that much play between the components, I doubt any type of thread locker will help. I would find out which item is out of spec and replace it.

Smitty

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    military weapons are notoriously known to be loose. What he's trying to do is lessen the variances. I think its a fine way to do it. Not something I'd be interested in, but would work fine given the situation

Top Bottom