• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know there are lots of you around... :cheer2:

I think I already know the answer to this, but I figured I'd get some input anyway, just to be sure.

I'm building a 16" 6.8 AR for hog/deer hunting and I'm trying to find/decide on a barrel right now. I know that I need to get a SPC II or 6.8x43 chamber and I will be handloading for it. This is the barrel I have in mind right now:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/14401

AR Performance 16" 6.8 Socom profile barrel- 4150 CMV

4150 CMV 6.8 Socom profile barrel with a more accurate ARP chamber and Hybrid 5R rifling 11.25 twist . 2lb-0oz
    M4 feed ramps, mid length gas system, .800 under the guard, .750 gas block dia. .700 dia from gas block to muzzle. 5/8-24 thread muzzle.
    Melonite treated barrels have proven to last 30% longer than chromelined barrels and are more accurate.
    These barrels are as accurate as any 6.8 barrels made, many report 1/2" groups at 100yds with Hornady 110gr HPBT factory ammo. This is a barrel only, it does NOT include any other parts unless added below as an option.

Can I go wrong with this barrel?

Also, should I go ahead and get one of their Superbolts if I buy this barrel?

Thanks!

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two words .... BISON ARMORY

http://bisonarmory.com/68SPC-Barrels/

That barrel looks pretty good though, I just go with what I think is the best 6.8 fabricator on the market. I'd buy the bolt too.. Melonite is the best, if you're putting 10k rounds through it

Last edited:

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Bison Upper and Arp Barrel build and both are top notch. Both will shoot sub moa with handloads. Can't say one is better than other.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Bison barrel is 11.0 twist 4 groove stainless barrel and the ARP is 11.25 melonited 5R twist. The 5R twist barrel is supposed to be more accurate. I can't tell the difference with accuracy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chamber:*6.8 SPC SPEC 2Length:*16"Diameter at the gas port:*.750"Barrel Threading:*1/2x36Barrel Profile:*Government ProfileBarrel Material:*4140 SteelTwist Rate:*1/11 w/ 4 groovesBore & Barrel Lining:*Mil-spec chrome linedBarrel Coating:*Manganese phosphateGas System:*Carbine length direct impingement. That's from stag arms $175. From the shooting I've done fare I am more then pleased. With out ashooting I'm stacking shots 100yds.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    ARP is the best,then Bison, mainly in the treatment and the super bolt you can get from them matched to your barrel and a better twist and groove. The 6.8x43 IS the SPCII. My rifle has the ARP 16" Scout barrel, my pistol the 8.5" Bison.

What you listed is the best you can get and YES get the SuperBolt. Harrison that owns the Company is THE Guru of the 6.8 and other Wildcats, even though the 6.8 has moved far beyond being a wildcat now. He has been there since day one.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks again, guys! I thought I was thinking in the right direction, but I wanted some confirmation before I ordered. Much appreciated!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Have you thought of the muzzle device for it? Target crown or they have a nice selection at ARP, I got the Vortex. Pictures when you get it put together!!
    My ARP

Attachments

• PICT0375.JPG
      PICT0375.JPG
      47.3 KB · Views: 539

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you thought of the muzzle device for it? Target crown or they have a nice selection at ARP, I got the Vortex. Pictures when you get it put together!!
    My ARP

That looks good, Frank! Specs?

I do want a muzzle device, but I haven't decided on one yet. So far I've got or got coming:

LAR Grizzly Stripped lower
    Rock River LPK w/out trigger group
    ALG QMS Trigger w/ my $35 trigger job
    AIM Surplus A3 stripped receiver with M4 feed ramps
    PSA upper parts kit
    Troy VTAC Alpha 13" rail
    Basic M4 style mil-spec stock kit(will get replaced at some point)

Still need:
    Barrel
    Muzzle Device
    Gas Block
    Gas Tube
    BCG
    Charging handle

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sounds like you are building a nice 6.8, what ammo are you going to run or try in it? I have SSA, Hornady and federal, currently sighted in w the 2 Federal offerings, PSA had it on sale.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sounds like you are building a nice 6.8, what ammo are you going to run or try in it? I have SSA, Hornady and federal, currently sighted in w the 2 Federal offerings, PSA had it on sale.

I'll probably keep my eye out for sales while I do some research on reloading components. I want hunting ammo for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The solid copper from SSA is excellent, Hornady 120SST is a killer, The new federals 115 and 90 gold dot are getting great reviews (not available as components). May I suggest you go on http://68forums.com for updated reloading data and everything 6.8. ARP and other 6.8 vendors/sponsors have their own area they answer questions in for your research.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The solid copper from SSA is excellent, Hornady 120SST is a killer, The new federals 115 and 90 gold dot are getting great reviews (not available as components). May I suggest you go on http://68forums.com for updated reloading data and everything 6.8. ARP and other 6.8 vendors/sponsors have their own area they answer questions in for your research.

Midway has those 120gr SST's on sale right now. I've been meaning to check out that 68forum, but the network at work has it blocked and I forget at home. I'll talk to our IT guy tomorrow and see if I can get it un-blocked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you plan on using this weapon to deer hunt, another bullet to consider is the 110 grain Nosler Accubond. Doesn't do as much damage to meat as 120 sst. I plan on using the 120 sst for Hogs and Accubond on Deer. JMO. If you plan on reloading, aa2200, H322, and Reloader 10 all work well with most of the available bullets for the 6.8. Shootersproshop has the nosler blems on sale quite often. These will shoot .5 moa with the right load.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you had to pick one projectile for both hogs and deer, which would you choose? Where I hunt, I'm just as likely to see both and I would prefer to only have 1 load that will work for either.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would use the 120 sst to make sure on hogs. The accubond should do the job but 120 is probably more lethal on hog. Jmo

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom