• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Whatever happened, to me the saddest part is the people who were just driving along and most likely drowned or we're crushed in their cars. Unfortunately I have a good imagination and I hate thinking about kids possibly being trapped and knowing I couldn't save them. I picture my own two daughters.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The big question is why did the generator(s) that run off of bunker oil that is likely number 6 diesel stop. There was a suggestion of adulterated fuel that had been showing up on the east coast resulting in scandals. The black smoke was not an indication of anything wrong with the diesel engine(s). But rather of a diesel engine being restarted and under load. On that type of ship, the prop-propeller drive will not work without electricity. I read a brief description of what those large container ships use for power. But not a every detail was spelled out. But it was clear if the main generator is out, the ship will not have the main propulsion working. It seemed to have electric motors powering the drive shaft, but I am not absolutely sure of that. The diesel engines used on freighter are piston and not turbine. Some are two cycle and there are some other things that I do not understand.
    To reverse the shaft it has to be stopped for some reason, but the the diesel generator is not supposed to stop like what happened. With single prop-propeller in reverse that kind of ship will have an erratic course. At lower speeds the rudder which was likely working due to a separate system will not be effective and especially if the propulsion is not working. With the strong tidal currents and once power was lost while in a turn, an allision and not a collision was likely and is what occurred. At least one of the Anchors was observed to be out, but it was not sufficient to stop that ship under those conditions. Before power was lost the ship may have doing 7 knots. One power was lost, the ability to effectively steer the ship was gone.
    What is the difference between allision and collision?

In a collision, two moving objects strike each other; for example, two passing ships. An allision, however, involves an accident where only one of the objects is moving. For instance, this maritime term can refer to an accident where a moving boat runs into a stationary bridge fender.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Already talk about the bridge being named after the racist Francis Scott Key.

I'm starting a pool about what the new (build back better) bridge will be named after!
    Francis Scott Key (August 1, 1779 – January 11, 1843)[3] was an American lawyer, author, and poet from Frederick, Maryland, best known as the author of the text of the American national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner".[4] Key observed the British bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1814 during the War of 1812. He was inspired upon seeing the American flag still flying over the fort at dawn and wrote the poem "Defence of Fort M'Henry"; it was published within a week with the suggested tune of the popular song "To Anacreon in Heaven". The song with Key's lyrics became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner" and slowly gained in popularity as an unofficial anthem, finally achieving official status more than a century later under President Herbert Hoover as the national anthem.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Francis Scott Key (August 1, 1779 – January 11, 1843)[3] was an American lawyer, author, and poet from Frederick, Maryland, best known as the author of the text of the American national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner".[4] Key observed the British bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1814 during the War of 1812. He was inspired upon seeing the American flag still flying over the fort at dawn and wrote the poem "Defence of Fort M'Henry"; it was published within a week with the suggested tune of the popular song "To Anacreon in Heaven". The song with Key's lyrics became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner" and slowly gained in popularity as an unofficial anthem, finally achieving official status more than a century later under President Herbert Hoover as the national anthem.
    Oh yeah, our national anthem will be the next thing to go. After all, it was written by a racist.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oh yeah, our national anthem will be the next thing to go. After all, it was written by a racist.
    "I pledge allegiance to the trans flag of the divided states of illegal immigrants. To the republic of China, for which we crawl, one nation, under pharmaceutical companies, with tyranny from blackmailed pedophiles, and welfare checks for all."
    Screenshot_20240331-091652~2.png

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oops. Only 44 million cap. Ugh we're gonna need some of that "war" money back Ukraine or Brandon, or bill or Hillary or the rest of the crooks.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    "I pledge allegiance to the trans flag of the divided states of illegal immigrants. To the republic of China, for which we crawl, one nation, under pharmaceutical companies, with tyranny from blackmailed pedophiles, and welfare checks for all."
    View attachment 279565

Even just reading thst, not saying a word out loud, makes me feel like I just summoned a demon or something.

Blecth!!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a detailed discussion of the generators and propulsion systems on container ships by a Chief engineer that has also been an instructor. This is based on what we know now.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Even just reading thst, not saying a word out loud, makes me feel like I just summoned a demon or something.

Blecth!!
    How dare you! Anti American, Nazi, transphobist, maga, insurrectionist. Take it back or I will send a trans parade to your driveway.

Attachments

• Pride-GIF.gif
      Pride-GIF.gif
      7.8 MB · Views: 10

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    When the final report comes out i would bet its going to show for whatever the electrical reason/fault there was just not enough time to correct /stop the ships course into the un protected / un upgraded bridge abutment .The ships bridge personal/pilots were probably over-loaded with alarms , lack of communication , lack of important true data vs no data , maybe a language problem too. Tugs would not have been able to save it either unless they are going to assign EVERY large ship coming and going 2 each for a tow and brake/push ,which that is hardly practical .

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When the final report comes out i would bet its going to show for whatever the electrical reason/fault there was just not enough time to correct /stop the ships course into the un protected / un upgraded bridge abutment .The ships bridge personal/pilots were probably over-loaded with alarms , lack of communication , lack of important true data vs no data , maybe a language problem too. Tugs would not have been able to save it either unless they are going to assign EVERY large ship coming and going 2 each for a tow and brake/push ,which that is hardly practical .
    I don't think a tug would do much to slow or stop a shop of that size. A tug looks like a jon boat next to one of those things. That's a lot of momentum, even at just a knot or two.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Heard on the news they were hoping to have it cleaned up by the end of May. Wow. Incoming freight going to be a nightmare.

Top Bottom