• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oh come on, be a man and stay, where are you going to go there is not a difference of opinion, we never called you an idiot but you call some here one?? tsk tsk

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't shoot steel case in my ARs but doing some research finds that steel case will cause them to jam up a lot quicker than using quality brass and will also cause premature wear. I have no experience with this but that's what I've read on ar15.com.

my take on it is this, if you can afford to build a quality ar using quality parts (think bcm, Daniel defense, PSA premium/CHF, noveske, etc) then you can afford to use good quality brass case ammo. Like stated above they are tools and I like to use mine so I use good brass ammo because they run well and they will last longer (that is if the countless posts about it on ar15.com about this subject is true). You guys can run steel case all you want but I just bought a $250 barrel and I want it to last as long as possible so I'm going to use brass.

Next thing is that say I have $500 and I want to get a rifle, I would get a yugo ak (n pap or o pap, etc) or any other decent ak for that price because the quality of a $500 AR isn't going to be the greatest generally. I mean you can get a AR that will work and all but that $500 AK will last and run great. Let me put it this way: a $500 AK is going to get you a decent quality AK with great parts. A $500 AR is going to get you a entry level AR that is very basic and won't have good military spec qualities (chrome barrel, c158 bolt, hpt/mpi barrel and bolt, etc). To get a quality AR with the right features and specs they will usually run around $800-900 starting off (think colt 6920).

That's just my opinion, disagree all you want but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I started off with a cheap $500 AR and it was crap. I now have two with about $1500 into each one and its a night and day difference in quality. Some people notice the difference in quality more than others but that's the way it is, you get what you pay for generally.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    None of us have to a agree with anything anyone else writes. It's just for conversation, not to get bent out of shape about.

That's a shame, I hope you reconsider. It was good to have you.

Dante, I have already corresponded with Ian via PM and it is going to happen. He wanted to make sure before he removed my profile. I just hope the guys around here are really careful who they take advice or information from.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    bk, most people overpay for all the nice stuff they hang off their AR but basically a $500 AR may be a factory made, well done AR. Prices have really come down and for less than $750 you are good to go. I am not a fan of the russians, the make crap like the AK with such loose tolerances and inaccuracy it is a goto gun for every terrorist and kid in a third world country, I can do better with any AR. But that is just me, lots of folks like to get the AK's and shoot rocks and paper, I guess that is ok, but they would be better off trying for accuracy instead of noise. Everyone gets guns for a different reason and their thought process may not be the best but a friend has one so they want one too.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    With the Russian stuff going on, I retract my first post and say buy the AR first because you're an American. Then if the ammo doesn't disappear, buy the AK because of the power, reliability, and it's historical significance, then buy a Sig 556 because it's the coolest technological hybrid of the two. Then buy an M1A because you're a man. Then buy a G3 clone, because it's the AK of the battle rifle world and an awesome beast of a rifle, then buy a Tavor, even though the trigger sucks, just because it's cool.

Oh, wait...
    Lol.

Last edited:

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are right frank. I guess what I was getting at is to do some research and if he goes the AR route get an AR with the right specs (4150 CMV chrome lined barrel, c158 bolt, hpt/mpi, properly staked, mil spec receiver extension, etc) and not the cheapest one he can find like a dpms sportical or a gun show no name bcg. And if he can't afford that and wants a reliable gun an AK made by the right company will be plenty reliable ( but not that accurate).

My point is to find something of good quality, the internet is your friend and the information out there is overwhelming. Do your homework before buying something.

Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    QUOTE=Removed;172900]Dante, I have already corresponded with Ian via PM and it is going to happen. He wanted to make sure before he removed my profile. I just hope the guys around here are really careful who they take advice or information from.[/QUOTE]

Good Lord...adios

rytuhuja.jpg

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like I will build the AR. That guy that got removed..... Nvm on the bright note I will be trading my LCP for a Glock 23!

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Gentlemen, I have to say that I have asked the administrators to remove my profile from the GCGF. I can no longer accept, not deal with, the ignorance and idiocracy of some of its members. Thank you for the spirited conversations. Good luck.

Dammit!! I miss all the good stuff.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WOW i hate i showed up to the party late. I dont even think a person (not gonna say man) that is so easily offended and has feeling on their shoulders should have guns. Kinda worry some! SAFETY SECOND!!!!!

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WOW i hate i showed up to the party late. I dont even think a person (not gonna say man) that is so easily offended and has feeling on their shoulders should have guns. Kinda worry some! SAFETY SECOND!!!!!

Pretty insightful Stanley, you sure you just sell used burros? shame his dad didn't give him advice on how to be a man with thick skin and play with others who don't share the same feelings. Can you imagine arguments in his house, lol! A shitstorm of feet-stomping, silent treatments and drive-offs.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sure hope it wasn't something I said. Oh wait, I don't care.

To OP, glad you made a decision. Enjoy your build. :)

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was sorry to see Tackleberry depart so quickly... I really enjoyed drooling over his guns. As far as the steel case vs brass case debate, I believe that Nate posted this a while back... it has more information on the subject than you will ever need!

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

What I took away from it was that the bi-metal jacket was rough on the barrel, but the cost savings on ammo could buy a new one... With the new world of ammo prices, IMO the spread between steel case and brass case isn't far enough anymore to worry about it (I got a bulk case of federal AE 55GR for 289 shipped 2 weeks ago)

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Group hug? I'm sorry for not always agreeing with everyone, I'm currently building a Lego sculpture expressing my childhood conflict issues in GCGF's honor... It's titled 'never shoulda left da womb' ... I know ... Deep

Top Bottom