• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macdavid

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not as knowledgable about guns as even a third of you guys. My question is I am looking at buying a new AR-15, I am looking for a dependable gun in the price range of 600-1200 I could go more but really had rather stay in that range. I would appreciate any help on brands you guys can offer. There are just to many different AR's out there today.
    Also I have a socum thinking about putting optics on it. Ihave heard good and bad things about this.Should I do like a small red dot on the action or go out and do like a Tri ACON out on the for end mount.. I apologize for my lingo but any help I would sure appreciate. Thanks DM

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    For the price, you can't go wrong with Aero Precision. It's well in your price range and they make great stuff that's been proven time and time again.

If you're looking for cheaper, PSA makes hit or miss stuff. My friend swears by it but I've run into a few parts I wish had better QC. Either way, they still sling lead and they work but you do get what you pay for.

On the upper end of your budget, you've got plenty of options. When you start looking in the $1000 region, most major manufacturers have their line of AR's, Bushmaster, Remington, Ruger, Sig, (insert big name company here). They're all good but I've never found them to be above and beyond what they consider Mil-Spec. If you know what you're doing, you can put together an AR from parts with the budget you have and get something superior to what you'll pick off of the shelf.

It all depends on how you decide to move forward with it.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    If you are new to the AR-15, I would recommend buying your first one already built from a major manufacturer, like @sakorey mentioned or a local gun shop (LGS) vs. building one. Once you get your first, you'll probably want to build your next :).

On the upper end of your budget, Springfield Armory Saint is a good option that comes with a few upgrades. On the lower end Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has some options. These are for rifles only, not including optics. Good luck!

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Aero Precision M4E1. They use Hanson barrels, Schmid Tool triggers and usually come with Magpul furniture. Tough to beat. Springfield Saint too is a solid option as is Spikes Tactial. Don't spend money you don't have to...

sakorey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aero Precision M4E1. They use Hanson barrels, Schmid Tool triggers and usually come with Magpul furniture. Tough to beat. Springfield Saint too is a solid option as is Spikes Tactial. Don't spend money you don't have to...
    I agree. Aero Precision has come a long way and their M4E1 is a great billet upper and lower receiver rifle. With little added features here and there, I'd never look back on if it were my first rifle.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I agree. Aero Precision has come a long way and their M4E1 is a great billet upper and lower receiver rifle. With little added features here and there, I'd never look back on if it were my first rifle.
    Not my first, definitely not my last! 20210829_153114.jpg

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It MIGHT help if you said what your desired use for this AR will be.
    Clay pit "zombie" killing at 10 to 35 yds. with a light Wt. Bbl. or steel banging at 300 yds and beyond with heavy Bbl's ??

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aero is good bang for buck. Unless you've got specific desires/needs it's still hard to beat the value PSA provides. Get a MOE EPT lower and one of their complete uppers (16" midlength with magpul furniture and FSB) and you'll have a functional AR for under $500. Shoot that one for a bit and you'll figure out what you do/don't like and be able to make a better decision on your next one or upgrade parts as you can/want to.

I sell aero by the way..... and I've got plenty of parts/uppers to offer a few configurations...... and I like talking guns.... and my Mom says I'm handsome.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Aero is good bang for buck. Unless you've got specific desires/needs it's still hard to beat the value PSA provides. Get a MOE EPT lower and one of their complete uppers (16" midlength with magpul furniture and FSB) and you'll have a functional AR for under $500. Shoot that one for a bit and you'll figure out what you do/don't like and be able to make a better decision on your next one or upgrade parts as you can/want to.

I sell aero by the way..... and I've got plenty of parts/uppers to offer a few configurations...... and I like talking guns.... and my Mom says I'm handsome.
    Suave and debonair to boot!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    That is a wide price range.
    I haven't looked at current prices BCM is solid for the top of your price range. As is spikes if you can source one.
    Hard to beat PSA for the money and it will allow you to buy an extra upper of different length and/or caliber, plus leave some money in your pocket.
    You WILL want more. Trust me. Haha.
    Springfield saints are probably the best factory bang for the buck in factory form, other than an mp15.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I just spent your 1200
    Pistol wise you will not beat this price assembled anywhere.
    And this rifle is an insanely good price for this saint

Top Bottom