• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flounder Hounder

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ive been thinking about getting a boxer pup. Was hoping there were a few boxer owners who would have some inputs.

Need a companion dog that would like to ride around in the truck and boat, are they good around other dogs? kids?

Thanks

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We had one awhile back. Great dogs, they can be kind of 'excitable' but our example chilled out nicely after about 18 months through his full life span (made it to 11 years).

They are very loyal, family friendly dogs. Not really 'water dogs' but I'm sure if you exposed them early they'd enjoy being on a boat.

They do slobber and it's a glue like substance. We found it on walls, ceilings, etc for awhile after he was gone. You'll want towels at the front door but it only when they get excited / people show up etc.

They are 'boxers' if you play with them, right and left hooks from the side, unlike other dogs. It's pretty funny to experience for the first time. We enjoyed having one and only didn't get another since we felt a new one might not live up to our first's standards.

Only medical issues they are known for is potentially hip issues but with a reputable breeder you shouldn't have that issue.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many years ago I had one, best dog I ever had. Great around kids and ours loved to swim and go on the boat. The most loyal dog to everyone in the family you could imagine.
    Only problem was until he was close to a year old he was also the most destructive thing you could ever imagine. If you left him home alone, you never knew what you would come home to. He literally destroyed the house. We got him at the end of 1969 when we still had wallpaper and linoleum. Notice I said still had. It was all destroyed by him. One day we came home and could not open the door. Had to go to other door and see what was wrong. He had ripped the linoleum off the floor, rolled it up and wedged it between the door and a wall so the door would not open! Another time we came home to find most of the wallpaper in the kitchen was peeled off. He chewed the bottom, got enough to yank on and pulled the sheets right off the wall. He also chewed the trim off the wall around the door and many other things. I was young at the time and only my crying kept my father from burying him in the backyard!

Once we got through his destructive stage he was GREAT.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boxers are not the only destructive breed when young. Labrador Retrievers can tear up most anything. A determined Boxer will thwart many folks with less than honorable intentions. They are very loyal and will be a welcomed part of the family with proper training. They are just companions, not field or water dogs. It broke my heart every time it came that one passed, and that usually was sooner than most hunting breeds of an equivalent size. Eventually Boston Terriers replaced Boxers for a pure companion. They are a bit easier on the furniture and tend to last longer. Once a dog becomes part of the family, it gets to be harder to lose them as I grow Older. YMMV.

Shaqw427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've had all boxers in my lifetime. All different personalities. Very loveable and loyal. They're great with kids as well. He and my 2 year old are two peas in a pod. They follow each other around the house. They try to feed each other (son shares his snacks and Bruce will try to bring him dog food or his bone. No i dont allow my son to eat either lol). They usually nap on each other. They love to box as crazy as that sounds. As soon as I put on my gloves, he's ready to play. I had to buy a second pair just for him. Outstanding companions

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015_184430.jpg
      Screenshot_20221015_184430.jpg
      483.8 KB · Views: 48

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Once we got through his destructive stage he was GREAT.
    Our loved pens. Sharpies were his favorite. Would always destroy one if he found it and we spent a lot on "Spot Shot" carpet cleaner that first year. Plus he had white markings on his face, so you could tell instantly he got into one.

We got a Boston Terrier about 4 years later and they were best buddies. The Boston was the Boxer's sidekick; both with nub tails and smooshed faces.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ive been thinking about getting a boxer pup. Was hoping there were a few boxer owners who would have some inputs.

Need a companion dog that would like to ride around in the truck and boat, are they good around other dogs? kids?

Thanks

Usually yes, and yes.

Needs proper socialization when a puppy. Positive-reinforcement training; no choke chains or pinch collars.

That is true of most/all dogs, though.

For boxers, they are very social. Act like clowns. Especially pups. The “boxing” behavior is best enjoyed when there are Two boxers playing. Looks ferocious to the uninitiated eye.

They are not meant to run miles with you or do strenuous activity for long periods. Their short muzzles mean they don’t tolerate heat and exertion like a longer-muzzled breed.

Basically, they are weight-lifters, not marathon runners.

Very loyal. Energetic, and then couch potatoes.

Medically, they do have issues. I’ll have to disagree with one of the posts above. They are cancer factories. Might have teeth issues due to that shortened muzzle and underbite. Heart problems when older isn’t a surprise. Possibly hip and knee stuff when older. Allergies maybe? Depends. If able, look at the parents. Many things are less-likely with proper breeding. Ours were all rescues.

I’ve been blessed to have six of those clowns spend most of their life as part of my family. I’ll have as many more as time allows.

It’s difficult to reconcile I might be too old one day to carry one around if necessary. (Sometimes, towards the end, your pal needs to go outside to use the restroom, but their legs won’t cooperate or they’re too weak for a long walk.) Adult weights can be around 50 to 80 pounds, depending on male/female and height.

Ours are indoors dogs. We go outside with them. It’s a good excuse for all of us to get some fresh air and take a break for a minute. But boxers should be considered an indoors dog, especially due to their short muzzle.

Proper attention and training early on will alleviate the “destruction phase”. Knock on wood, none of ours ever destroyed anything. Do activity with them, and they will happily sleep for awhile. They just need an outlet for their energy like any dog, but they aren’t bottomless pits of EnergizerBunny like other breeds.

They are intelligent and observant. Some are “velcro“ dogs, others are fine just knowing where you are in the house. Only one of the six had a snoring problem, but we’re pretty sure she had some bulldog in her lineage.

Hopping in and out of a truck might be hard on their joints (and spine). An intermediate step (clean floorboard, maybe?) or a helping boost from a human will help train them to slow down, and it will be an easy (non-existsnt) transition when they’re older and actually need the help.

None of ours were water-lovers like a Labrador.
    Only one of six actually avoided puddles. They were mostly ambivalent about water, pools, beaches.

Long answer, yeah. You did ask, though. :)

I imagine your boxer will love the truck and boat rides. Might try and sleep some during, depending on what is going on.
    They have a great temperament for other dogs and kids. You just have to read their behavior language of what they are comfortable with and don’t rush anything. Proper socialization early-on, and you should all be fine.

Personally, I’d check with the boxer rescues. They usually Foster the animal first, and give the potential adopter (you) a good idea of temperament, health issues, etc. Some are very young and just need proper training and attention.

If you buy a puppy, try to support a respectable breeder.

Either way, congrats!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So bottom line, there are other breeds that may be better selections for your criteria. JMHO. Sorry I got to be the bad guy. YMMV.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So bottom line, there are other breeds that may be better selections for your criteria. JMHO. Sorry I got to be the bad guy. YMMV.
    Really? Let's deep dive.

"Need a companion dog that would like to ride around in the truck - YES and boat - YES, are they good around other dogs? YES kids? YES

LOLZ

iu

"

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really?

Need a companion dog that would like to ride around in the truck - YES and boat - YES, are they good around other dogs? YES kids? YES

LOLZ

iu
    And are they the best breed to become a member of the family? Hey all those boat people water dogs on and off the boat have webbed toes, . About those dogs jumping in and out of the truck in the highlands. So perhaps A Boston Terrier can be that loyal companion for 16 years vice 8 and let all the family members only suffer half the heartbreak? It takes a lot for FIDO to become a family member, even if FIDO has no other purpose than to be a family member. Boxers don't hunt, don't retrieve, don't herd, and don't trail scents, they are simply members of the family. YMMV.

Last edited:

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bostons don't live 16 years, had one with my Boxer and they both punched out right at 11 years, give or take a couple months.

OP, Boxers are great dogs and as long as you understand their issues, you'll be good to go.

Big dogs are cool and Boxers are cool as hell.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bostons don't live 16 years, had one with my Boxer and they both punched out right at 11 years, give or take a couple months.

OP, Boxers are great dogs and as long as you understand their issues, you'll be good to go.

Big dogs are cool and Boxers are cool as hell.
    The shortest lived natural death Boston I've had lived 15 years and 11 months. At no time did I say anything against Boxers. If you care to comprehend what you have read, I only wish to minimize all family members loss with those that share the most trusted position as only a family companion. Great Danes don't last very long, but that doesn't mean they can't earn membership into the Family. Not to mention that they will run down hogs like nobodies business. JMHO.

Attachments

• Midnight with Michelle.jpg
      Midnight with Michelle.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 35
    Last edited:

Makoshark75

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My wife's family has owned boxers her whole life and we've had boxers since we married 27 years ago. I love the goofy, happy, friendly, loyal things. They are very much a part of the family. I loved our first two females very much. They lived 12 and 10 years respectively. Purebreds may also be prone to some types of cancer. Our current pal, Henry, is a Boxer-GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) mix. He's my favorite

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_081755747.jpg
      IMG_20220305_081755747.jpg
      468.4 KB · Views: 36

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife's family has owned boxers her whole life and we've had boxers since we married 27 years ago. I love the goofy, happy, friendly, loyal things. They are very much a part of the family. I loved our first two females very much. They lived 12 and 10 years respectively. Purebreds may also be prone to some types of cancer. Our current pal, Henry, is a Boxer-GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) mix. He's my favorite
    German Shorthaired Pointers have webbed toes, they work both the highlands and can retrieve in water. They make excellent family companions & enjoy both car and boat rides. JMHO.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Boxers do not normally live that long. Five to seven is mostly what I have seen. Ours got a brain tumor as the breed is prone to so make sure your vet is experienced with the breed. Fantastic loyal dog who was super protective of my wife. The dog died before we had any children. Very hard for my wife and me too even though I was not a true dog lover at that time. The comments about the scrunched nose, known as brachycephalic breeds, are spot on.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just so that it may be known, I have nothing against Boxers. Mine (Cassius prior to Mohammad Ali.) was a true and loyal friend. Having to put him down after only 7 years as a family member was hard on all of us, especially the youngest that never had experienced a death in the family before. I merely wish to let others know that their desire for companionship may be much longer lived with other breeds. Hope I didn't offend?

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ll consider myself extra blessed, then. 5 out of the 6 made it to at least 10 years old. The one who only lived to only 4 years old had a brain tumor. One made it well past 11. The current “old man” is over 12.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah, you didn't offend me.

You must have a special bloodline of Bostons to have 15+ for multiples.

How many have you had that lived that long???

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll consider myself extra blessed, then. 5 out of the 6 made it to at least 10 years old. The one who only lived to only 4 years old had a brain tumor. One made it well past 11. The current “old man” is over 12.
    I'll have to admit that the only Boston that I had which didn't make 15 years gave her life defending the kids in the back yard from a cottonmouth. She (Wench) was pregnant at the time with a litter Sired by another Champion Stud. No greater respect have I than for that companion that willingly gave her life to defend our children. JMHO. Swashbucklers Kennel off the Boston the Blackie Blood Line. Breed for known owners. Females came from Denmark Kennels in North Jacksonville. Back in the day Boston's in the 32-35 lb range were the norm. Currently the standard is for Boston's no heavier than 25 lbs, so perhaps the unusually smaller size equates to less longevity? Troy (Swashbucklers Aegean Spoils) was the last to grace our home with His presence. 35lbs Solid when he was shown, 32 lbs at the time of his demise. Currently we only share our abode with the children's dogs when they visit. But that don't stop Grandma from petting the hair off em! LOL.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom