• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef_josh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    This happened a long time ago, but I still remember it because it was so crazy:

While driving on the Belt Parkway one summer morning near Plum Beach, a young woman named Nancy McEwen suddenly drifted off the road onto the median strip. A police lieutenant in the car behind her pulled over to see what the problem was. He found her moaning, with her head slumped forward, and called for an ambulance. She died a short time later at Coney Island Hospital, where doctors found a small hole on the side of her head that turned out to have been caused by a bullet. Since only one window in McEwen's car was open, and none of them had been shattered, Seedman believed the shot had to have been fired from Sheepshead Bay or the nearby area, and that due to the distance and the car's speed, it was probably not intentional. He ordered detectives and uniformed officers to search the dunes and marshes for a possible shell casing. After 2,400 people were interviewed and several other leads came to nothing, he pointed at a spot on the map and told his detectives to look for people who owned boats. That led to the shooter—a local gas station owner who had been on his boat that morning taking target practice at a floating beer can. One of his bullets had ricocheted off the water's surface and killed McEwen. A grand jury ruled it an accident, and no homicide charges were brought, although the shooter was fined $100 for violating firearms laws with the rifle.
    I remember this story. They said that if she hadn’t had the window rolled down, the bullet likely wouldn’t have had enough energy to penetrate the glass. Very sad freak accident.

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I remember this story. They said that if she hadn’t had the window rolled down, the bullet likely wouldn’t have had enough energy to penetrate the glass. Very sad freak accident.
    But it had enough to go through bone and brain matter ?

chef_josh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    But it had enough to go through bone and brain matter ?
    Yes, according to all the forensics people. It only requires roughly 12 lbs of foot energy from a .22 caliber bullet to penetrate the temple of the human head, but nearly four times that to shatter side windows. Keep in mind these were older windows as well.

What would’ve actually happened is simply unknown, because we’ve all watched enough YouTube to know real world results vary drastically. You can make the exact same shot, same gun, same bullet, and get a wild variety of ricochet trajectories and expansion results. 100 different shots would yield you 100 different results in the real world, so theory is only a generalization.

But yes, it actually takes surprisingly little force to penetrate the human temple.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I know exactly where this is. It's not a shooting range it's right off 87 where all the good ol' boys would go mudding lol. They put up no tresspassing signs. Not sure if they are still up or not.
    I call BS. No way a 50 yard 9mm shot did that after hitting a berm

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Probably because he likely missed the "berm" and sailed one right at the RV park lol.

BTW: This happened a while back just confirmed through a buddy lol.
    Believe me or not bud that's the story , I didn't ask you to believe it I'm shareing my situation of what I'm going through. This happend in September

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know exactly where this is. It's not a shooting range it's right off 87 where all the good ol' boys would go mudding lol. They put up no tresspassing signs. Not sure if they are still up or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_180456_Maps.jpg
      Screenshot_20231217_180456_Maps.jpg
      394.8 KB · Views: 59

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Believe me or not bud that's the story , I didn't ask you to believe it I'm shareing my situation of what I'm going through. This happend in September
    Has anybody tried matching the scars on the projectile to your barrels grooves?

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Has anybody tried matching the scars on the projectile to your barrels grooves?
    There was no need it was absolutely my round and I owned up to it immediately. It was a jacketed Sterling 9x19 with dirt scoring on one side and clean rifling on the other it was not deformed in any way it was perfect . The dirt didn't misshape it the man's bicep didn't misshapen it and the gravle and door it hit didn't misshapen shape it . 30 min or so after I hoslterd my pistol and started shooting my Mauser an officer came walking down the dirt road and asked me to lay my rifle down and he took the pistol from the holster and safetyed it

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm trying to follow the timeline of the story. Your initial post I interpreted as you knew it went towards the rv park and by the time you made it, police were already on scene. Your last post I read as you didn't know what was going on until the police showed up where you were shooting.

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    In the post I said I saw the dirt splash , I knew I hit the dirt and didn't know it was a ricochet. I said that in the second or third sentence.....

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm trying to follow the timeline of the story. Your initial post I interpreted as you knew it went towards the rv park and by the time you made it, police were already on scene. Your last post I read as you didn't know what was going on until the police showed up where you were shooting.
    Are you trolling me or just not reading . I'm pretty clear and open , moral of the story ....storys. bullets do weird shit .

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    title is misleading. You weren’t at a gun range and the “mound” behind your target wasn’t designed to stop a bullet. Not a lawyer but that could count as negligence.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Are you trolling me or just not reading . I'm pretty clear and open , moral of the story ....storys. bullets do weird shit .
    Bit of a troll. I read it wrong, but maybe it's not clear to me. Cop come to the clay pit and safetied your weapon and then showed you the bullet that did the damage?
    I feel like they would have taken your weapon and at least had you come down to the station, but I watch to many cop shows.
    Seems like you got lucky as did the victim. Hopefully he doesn't come after you for civil penalties.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I just saw this thread. Weird stuff for sure.
    When I first moved here in 1979, there were several clay pits around here where people would shoot.
    Two of my favorites were the one next to Pine Forest High School and the one off 10 Mile Road on the road to Crist Steam Plant.
    I would even shoot on occasion on a transmission line off Michigan Ave.
    How times change.

Mule1208

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Indeed they have sir , indeed they have . Got a member ship to santarosa shooting rang to prevent this from happening again

Latest posts

Top Bottom