• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am using mags from ASC(Ammunition Storage Components) and they have been flawless. IIRC the 5 and 10 shot mags were <$16. They are stainless and come covered with some funky black coating. After I used one several times I noticed that it scratched off pretty easily. I also found that it can be quite easily taken off with alcohol to leave a rather dull bead blasted stainless look. Goes great with the stainless bbl on my 6.8. (I do believe that C-Products is also shipping mags now. Google is your friend for both mags and uppers. Uppers could be in somewhat short supply nowadays.)

The 5 and 10 shot capacity are the same size. I have never used anything but these. My application is hog,deer,yote hunting. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00844.jpg
      DSC00844.jpg
      142.8 KB · Views: 232
    Last edited:

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have 3 mags in a box waiting on my upper and bolt. I could probably help you out with one if you can't get them anywhere else. Tradewinds in Navarre had some back in December

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Blaze, ASC, CPD are the affordable mags, the new CPD are the best. Gunbroker may be the fastest way to get a 6.8 upper, but Bison Armory can build you one in 2 mos or so and it is very good. ARP barrels are the best to get if you find an upper not barreled. Whatever you do, check the specs before you buy, there are alot of out of spec barrels or old spec barrel running around, you want the 1-11 and a SPCII

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the ASC and CPD Mags and the ASC have run flawlessly. Two of the three CPD mags that I have aren't real reliable. Have been told to bend feed lips and will help with feed issues. I can load to 2.30 oal with the ASC. Just my experiences

blazein

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this a decent deal for just under 8 bills landed?
    Brand new in the box Yankee Hill AR-15 Entry Carbine Upper Assembly in 6.8mm Remington SPC II. Has a 1 in 10" Twist, 16" chrome lined barrel with free float handguard, and Phantom Flash Hider. Or ... did i just sit on a cactus...

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blaze, ASC, CPD are the affordable mags, the new CPD are the best. Gunbroker may be the fastest way to get a 6.8 upper, but Bison Armory can build you one in 2 mos or so and it is very good. ARP barrels are the best to get if you find an upper not barreled. Whatever you do, check the specs before you buy, there are alot of out of spec barrels or old spec barrel running around, you want the 1-11 and a SPCII

Live by this. Barrel specs are key

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Firstly....I am not into "the best". That is a blanket statement, What works for me may not work for you and visa versa. I do not own any CPD mags...soooo....truthfully I could be missing out on "the best". When I got my gun I bought ASC. My gun is a hunter, so for my use high cap mags is not(personally) the answer. I have 3, 5shot(deer) and 3, 10 shot(hogs). Truthfully,for my style of hunting a 5 will do me just fine. I always carry a extra loaded mag for quick access. Some of the same people that prefer a shorter bbl'ed gun,seem to prefer a 25 shot mag. -->??

As (mostly)stated above,the bbl is a huge part of the 6.8 system. All the 6.8 guru's seem to prefer a SPCII chamber (6.8X43),a bbl twist >1:10(1:11 good,1:11.5 and even 12,SUPER), and for the back pressure thing, a 4 or 5 groove. FOR ME.....accuracy is mandatory,excessive speed is not. I chose a 18" bbl for weapon stability. My bullet of choice is a Barnes 85gr TSX @ 3000fps. I feel that this velocity is needed,or at least a plus,for proper bullet expansion. ESPECIALLY....if I wanted to go up to the Barnes 110gr TSX. I would definitely want to push these bullets as fast as possible. This extra velocity would be needed(IMO) especially given a slower twist bbl, remembering that rotational velocity helps the bullet to open,right along with forward velocity. When you start gettin' down below 150,000rpm's or so,bullets seem to want to hold together and not open as the manufacturer designed them to. ESPECIALLY one of the solid copper design.

Another important thing to remember is...the 6.8 is not a 270Win. We will never come even close to those velocities. This is why,personally,I would never have the need to own a 6.8 in anything but a semi-auto. In the AR platform the 6.8 is great depending on how much power you will need and/or the range you will be putting that bullet on target at. --- SAWMAN

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bison built my complete upper for around 8 bills. Would have been cheaper if it wasn't a side charge upper. Best money I've spent in a long time. Shoots sub moa's with several different hand-loaded bullets. Worth the wait.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    For those new to the 6.8 Just remember that the 16" barrel is optimal, the rd and barrel were match best at that length. In a 6.8 the velocity gain is only 20 FPS for every inch of barrel added and IF your 16" barrel is melonited, has an 11.25 twist and 5 groove it matches the FPS of a 20" barrel with different specs. Just a few nuances to remember and consider. Always get the newer SPCII spec barrel. A 10-12 twist will work, you just have to try different ammos to see what it likes and performs the best with. My Stag is a 1-11 and 4 groves and is very accurate, my ARP is a 11.25 and 5 grove which it even more accurate...that of course does not mean the shooter can shoot better with either one as there are other things that affect accuracy such as a free floating rail and a target crown instead of a muzzle device and trigger along w optics.

ASC and CP mags are the older mags made w the same eqiupment the C Products Defense mags are made w the new machines and have a longer COAL for you reloaders, these are the affordable mag lines.. The PRI and others are very good make just 2-3X's the cost.

Hope that helps explain a few nuances of the 6.8.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Personally...I have never hear'ed of a 1:10.5 twist 6.8 SPC II bbl. Of course there are many things out there that I have never hear'ed of. HOWEVER......I would ask myself --> WHY!! <--. I would ask myself >>> What twist do the premium bbl makers use ?? What twist rate sells the best...why ?? What twist rate will best stabilize the bullet that you plan to shoot ?? (FOR ME...it is the fastest twist rate that will produce accepted pressures,for the higher velocities.) If I planned to shoot the 130 or 140gr bullets at the longer ranges I would probably consider a 1:12 twist rate. Other than that a 1:11 to me would be optimal.

Everyone must remember that the 6.8 does not allow you to use a wide variety of bullets. Just any bullet designed in .277" will not have an application in the 6.8. Some of the reasons include: 1. You gotta have/use a COAL that is compatible with the length of your magazine. 2. You have to use a bullet that is effective for hunting.(If you simply plan on punching paper this is a moot point ...EXCEPT...for the bullet stability at the longer ranges ... thing.) A bullet that will effectively expand at the appropriate ranges. 3. You have to take special care when using bullets that have no lead in their make-up. It's a COAL to mag length to powder capacity available...thing. Plus stability in flight. These bullets are longer for the same weight as a lead make-up bullet. BUT.....on the good side of these concerns....there are quite a few .277" bullets made for the 6.8 application,and more coming as the popularity continues to grow. Especially as a hunting round.

The 6.8 is a great chambering if you do not expect the flexibility of a 270Win. But remember....there is not a AR chambered in 270Win. Sooooo ... ?? --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think the general consensus is at this time the 1-11 and 4 groove is the standard, that does not mean there are not custom barrels that do a better job like the ARP 11.25 and 5 groove.

There are around 40 different bullet choices for the 6.8 at this time

As of 11/27/12 Current Factory Loadings

Barrett-------110 HPBT

BVAC---------110 VMax
    --------------110 Accubond
    --------------115 HPBT
    --------------115 FMJ

Corbon-------110 TTSX
    --------------115 SMK
    --------------115 subsonic

DoubleTap-----95 TTSX
    ---------------110 Vmax
    ---------------115 FMJ
    ---------------110 TTSX
    ---------------110 OTM

Good To Go Ammunition
    ---------------115 OTM
    ---------------120 SST

Hornady-------110 Vmax
    ---------------110 BTHP
    ---------------120 SST

Hunting Shack-110 VMax
    ---------------115 OTM

RAM-----------110 VMax
    ---------------115 OTM

Rem.---------115 FMJ
    --------------115 HPBT
    --------------115 Corelokt Bonded
    --------------115 SMK

Sellier&Bellot---110 TSX
    ---------------110 PTS
    ---------------110 FMJ

SSA---Loads available in Commercial and Tactical velocities
    ----------------85 ETip
    ----------------85 TSX
    ----------------85 Barnes RRLP frangible
    ----------------95 TTSX
    ----------------97 AP
    ----------------100 Nosler Accubond
    ----------------110 Nosler Accubond
    ----------------110 Sierra Pro hunter
    ----------------110 TTSX
    ----------------115 SMK
    ----------------140 Berger VLD

Wilson Combat
    ----------------95 TTSX
    ----------------110 BTHP
    ----------------110 TSX

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got out to shoot the 6.8 today

both bullet choices grouped well - 110 grain hollow points from SSA and 120 grain SST bullets from Hornady

The 120s grouped about 6" higher than the 110s but both grouped inside a soda can lid at 100 yards. I chose the 120s since I will be using this rifle hunting some this season.

My upped is a Rock River upper with a 1:10 twist

Top Bottom