Votes: 2 40.0%
    • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright I’m bored and looking at different calibers in the AR15 platform. I am curious what your opinion is on each caliber. Now I know there’s other calibers that can do this and that but just focus on 300blk and 6.5 Grendel.

What would you choose between the two and why? What would you use it for?
    Home defense?
    Hunting?
    Forget suppressors for your decision. Just heads up performance.

And go!

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    6.5 Long range high-level accuracy. Good to 600 800 yds if you're that good. 300 light recoil short range 200 yds max if you want a clean kill.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fair enough. They definitely are different calibers. I am still deciding on an AR and I can’t make my mind up in what to get! I know I won’t be getting a suppressor anytime soon. Just looking for some insight to help me decide

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fair enough. They definitely are different calibers. I am still deciding on an AR and I can’t make my mind up in what to get! I know I won’t be getting a suppressor anytime soon. Just looking for some insight to help me decide
    Hard to go wrong with your first choice being in 5.56. The nice thing about the AR for not too much more money you can buy another upper and change the caliber. ARs are so modular and they are relatively simple to work with. It is the american gun of the 21 st century.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And the speed. More so with the 6.5G.
    IMHO - - -> the 6.8 is a "shorter" range gun. About 600yds. But to get the most out of either the weapon needs at least 20 inches of bbl.
    My 18" 6.8 shoots better than great. But as stated above,the bbl has a lot to do with it.
    Make sure to budget for a great trigger and good glass as your bbl wont make up for those bad choices.
    To build a great AR shooter,you gotta spend some money. Typically MORE than a bolt gun. Be prepared. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before the ammo crisis wolf was selling steel case 6.5 g for about 30 cents a round and said they would come out with 300 blackout in an inexpensive steel case. Has not happened yet.
    If you reload you convert 5.56 into 300 blackput cases and 30 caliber components are more common thant 6,5 or 6.8. 300 blackout can be found in less expensive brass case loadings too. Not sure if brass case 7.62x39 can be converted to 6.5g, but such brass is particularly cheap and plentiful like 5.56 is.

Basic answer 6.8 will likely always be the most expensive and I think it is based on the 30 remington that is an obsolete case so you can not make it from anything else that is common.
    At the moment 6.5 g steel case was the cheapest.
    In the future 300 blackout will be the cheaper of them all assuming ammo commerce returns to normal.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    From what I gather in this feed the 6.5 grendel really needs a long barrel, because it is a long range gun. Basically an AR pistol in this caliber would be a waste?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Any bullet is going benefit from a longer barrel, until the friction starts reducing velocity. Less velocity is going to reduce effective range. A 12.5" grendel isn't going to shoot as far as a 24". Guys talk about the 300 being "optimized" for shorter barrels but will still get a velocity boost in a 16"

Is there any benefit to the grendel in 12.5 relative to a similarly sized setup in 6.8, 300 or 5.56? Depends on what you're looking for.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think for my application I am going to go with the 6.5 Grendel. I. The future when I can get a can I’ll get a 300blk

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What kind of accurate range would a 12.5 inch Grendel have? Would it have to much recoil for a pistol setup? The reason I am asking about a pistol setup is because I already have that format built, and can just change uppers. I can also go rifle, but will have to build a complete one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been looking at an 18in in the Grendel. I’m not sure what you’d get out of a pistol. I’d be more inclined to go 300blk if I was getting a pistol. Also Grendel is smaller than 6.5 Creedmoor. Just to make sure we are talking the same thing

Top Bottom