• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to hi-jack my own thread...but when building there is obviously a plethora of options...I think I've picked what lowers I want, but I don't know enuf about the uppers/barrels...who r some of the mid-level manufacturers that u have tried and trust to spend ur $$ on..for times sake let keep it to 300BLK AND 5.56...also since it will b my 1st build I think I want a full upper assembly..unless u can talk me into a complete build..remember I'm a novice

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to hi-jack my own thread...but when building there is obviously a plethora of options...I think I've picked what lowers I want, but I don't know enuf about the uppers/barrels...who r some of the mid-level manufacturers that u have tried and trust to spend ur $$ on..for times sake let keep it to 300BLK AND 5.56...also since it will b my 1st build I think I want a full upper assembly..unless u can talk me into a complete build..remember I'm a novice

I have a CMMG upper on my .300 BLK build and have had no malfunctions using super or subsonic ammo and it is very accurate. I have only shot it unsuppressed, but I'm working on getting a suppressor. I have used rock river uppers on my 5.56 builds.

HideBuster

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a lot of fun building from scratch. I have all the tools and don't mind helping you if you want to learn how it all goes together.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I caught the bug. I picked up a stripped lower From Little Jacks Guns today (great guy to deal with). This will be my first build too. I'm taking it slow as funds become available. Now I'm considering 300BLK. My thinking is build a pistol then suppress and SBR at some point in the distant future. Please keep us updated.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely will..that's my plan as well..buy it slowly so it doesn't break the bank all at once..I can't decide if I wana get average everyday brand parts since its a 1st build..or go all out so I only have to do it once..decisions decisions

BLACKOUT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my 300 blk out. And now my wife, father and best friend are shooting it. I can tell you that we have killed plenty of deer in WV and here in FL. The two biggest were in WV and both went over 200lbs. We have killed hogs up to 300 lbs. Never had anything need a second shot. We load 150grn nosler ballistic tips with 17 grains of h110. We have stoner, cmmg barrels and sota arms. Sota is a small company and good for someone on a tight budget. Really cheap to shoot if you reload. A good site to check out is 300blktalk.com.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sorry for the hijack, looking for advice, didn't feel like starting a new thread, but will if need be. This one seemed dead enough.

I have the opportunity to pick up a nice 300 blk upper, cheap. Is it worth it? I've always said, "if I wanna put a .308 in something, I have 2 308 Win AR's.
    What do you guys think?

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for the hijack, looking for advice, didn't feel like starting a new thread, but will if need be. This one seemed dead enough.

I have the opportunity to pick up a nice 300 blk upper, cheap. Is it worth it? I've always said, "if I wanna put a .308 in something, I have 2 308 Win AR's.
    What do you guys think?
    Comparing the .300 BLK and .308 Win is apples to oranges, two totally different cartridges with different roles. The main appeal of the .300 BLK is the ability to have a .30 caliber punch similar to a 7.62x39 out of a standard AR15 platform by changing nothing but the barrel. The other selling point of the .300 BLK is the ability to switch between supersonic and subsonic loads with no adjustments needed. Sure, you can experiment with handloading .308 Win to subsonic velocities, but it won't cycle the action of a semi-auto and the rifling twist rate of your .308 isn't fast enough to reliably stabilize the long heavy subsonic bullets.
    So the first step in deciding is to stop comparing 300 BLK to 308 Win. Then ask yourself if the thought of a .30 caliber AR15 with a punch similar to 7.62x39 and the ability to cycle subsonic ammo appeals to you. If these features don't appeal to you, it probably won't be worth the price that you'll pay for .300 BLK ammo (although it can be handloaded with surplus bullets quite cheaply).

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn it..why u always stealing people's threads..hahaha

The main reason I wanted (still want) 1 was b/c everything I read says its the best round to use w a can and supposedly has the same recoil as 223

Still haven't built/bought/shot 1 yet :(

I say buy it...u will only keep it 2 weeks anyways..haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm a 300BLK addict. However, it has its limits. For hunting at 200yd or less, I feel it does fine (11 deer, 1 yote, 1 armadillo, 1 crow). For a reloader, it can provide cheap plinking and a WIDE variety of bullets to use. For suppressed shooting it works real nice. Mild recoil. I shoot thousands of rounds of it every year. For a non-reloader, I can't say I recommend it.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    its a niche round. If you're not going to SBR and/or suppress it, I wouldn't bother.

Just my opinion.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't care about suppressing. If anything, I'll loudener* it.

I do like the idea of .30 cal out of an AR. Ive always HATED how small 223 bullets are. Using all the same parts is a huge plus.

I suppose I could load it, though mostly the lighter bullets to get a good punch.

Hmmm...

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So there we were... At a co-workers house in Louisiana, we were shooting on a Sunday afternoon before we headed to Houston, TX on a major business trip. My co-worker was shooting my 5.56 AR-pistol and for whatever decided not to empty the magazine. He stopped after 7 shots, dropped the magazine out, and then cleared the chamber. Then he hands me the magazine & the bullet that he cleared from the chamber... It's a 300BLK round. Thank God that he stopped on that round for whatever reason! I didn't know it at the time but the internet says a 300BLK will primer strike if loaded into a 5.56 gun. That would have been real bad. Obviously, that is a real big screw up and the consequences could have been major. Now, all of my 300BLK ammo sits in a zip tied ammo can inside my safe.

When everything went into chaos in Dec-2012 I bought the 300BLK and didn't know much about it. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find the ammo and price. It'll probably get traded or sold at some point. In reality, it's overkill for my shooting style. I don't hunt so for shooting at paper and cans the 223/5.56 does the job and for a little cheaper price. If the price of subsonic ammo was sub-$0.75 per round then it would be another story. The last subsonic ammo that I bought was around $1.75 round. It might be cheaper now-a-days.

Anyhow,

Just be cautious and be safe.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've got gemtech subsonic coming in a few weeks. $22 for a box of 20. with qty discounts. That's tax included. I don't think you're ever going to see $.75 subs retail. My dealer price is about $1 a round. It's well over $1 for some of the "higher" end sub rounds.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom